PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sorcerer Eldritch Knight build

Thurbane
2011-07-20, 04:35 AM
Hey all...

I often ask for help with theoretical or NPC builds, but now I'm looking for help with a build for a PC I will be running in a rapidly approaching game.

First, some relevant notes: available sources will be PHB and PHB2 only (this does not extend to SRD material or MM races and subraces). Game is starting at level 1 and probably running to about level 10. I have no idea what the rest of the party will be, but there will be about 4 or 5 other players with 1 PC each. The only houserule I'm aware of yet is nerfing of Power attack: there is no x2 PA bonus with two handed weapons. Chargen is likely to be 4d6b3, with 1 re-roll allowed. Multiclassing XP penalties are enforced.

Second, some personal preferences: the only races I enjoy playing from PHB are Humans, Dwarves and 1/2 Orcs (I don't like playing elves or the small races). I also want to play a Sorcerer based gish. Last time under this DM I played a Wizard, so I'm after a change of pace. Also, I'm aware of Sorcadin builds, but I really do not want to play any form of Paladin.

So...all that preamble aside, what I'm really looking for is advice on feat and spell selection. My first thought is a Human Fighter 1/Sorc 6/EK 3.

Cheers - T

Hazzardevil
2011-07-20, 05:18 AM
My first advice would be either be a human or a dwarf, preferably Human.
Take a level of Whatever full BAB class you like, I reccomend Barbarian.
Then go Sorcerer until you qualify for Eldritch knight and go on from there.
Feats, I'm unsure of besides metamagic stuff.

only1doug
2011-07-20, 07:26 AM
Hey all...

I often ask for help with theoretical or NPC builds, but now I'm looking for help with a build for a PC I will be running in a rapidly approaching game.

First, some relevant notes: available sources will be PHB and PHB2 only (this does not extend to SRD material or MM races and subraces). Game is starting at level 1 and probably running to about level 10. I have no idea what the rest of the party will be, but there will be about 4 or 5 other players with 1 PC each. The only houserule I'm aware of yet is nerfing of Power attack: there is no x2 PA bonus with two handed weapons. Chargen is likely to be 4d6b3, with 1 re-roll allowed. Multiclassing XP penalties are enforced.

Second, some personal preferences: the only races I enjoy playing from PHB are Humans, Dwarves and 1/2 Orcs (I don't like playing elves or the small races). I also want to play a Sorcerer based gish. Last time under this DM I played a Wizard, so I'm after a change of pace. Also, I'm aware of Sorcadin builds, but I really do not want to play any form of Paladin.

So...all that preamble aside, what I'm really looking for is advice on feat and spell selection. My first thought is a Human Fighter 1/Sorc 6/EK 3.

Cheers - T

Unfortunately the build you have requested is not possible with the sources Listed. (Eldritch Knight is from DMG, not on your source list :P ).

Can I recommend Duskblade 1 / Sorc 6 / EK 3?

Assuming at least 11 Int (seems safe as skillpoints are always useful) the Level of Duskblade (PHBII) will give you more cantrips and a couple of first level spells and (If I remember correctly) Combat casting feat (thus making up for the lost fighter Bonus feat). Duskblade at L1 will also allow you to be a Gish straight out of the box.

Races: out of your Preferences I'd have to recommend Human as both of the others penalise Charisma, Human also allows any class to be favoured for the purpose of multiclassing penalties.

L1 Feat: ....
Human Bonus Feat: ...
I'll think about these, not sure what will be best.

Stats:
Very MAD, you don't really have a dump stat (Except wisdom, because who needs to pass will saves anyway?)
Cha: Spell saves and Bonus spells.
Str: Melee attack and damage.
Int: 11 or more to make Duskblade worthwhile.
Con: Bonus Hitpoints.
Dex: AC
Wis: Will saves.

Eldariel
2011-07-20, 07:37 AM
I'd use Ranger over Fighter for a Coreish Gish. And yeah, you won't be much of a Gish for vast majority of the game but Human Ranger 1/Sorc 6/EK is prolly what you want.

Thurbane
2011-07-20, 09:04 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

@ only1doug - :smallredface: yep, DMG is allowed for PrCs.

I was leaning toward Fighter for the bonus feat, but Ranger or Duskblade could work too. Human is the most likely race of my 3 options.

...so, what would be solid choices for spells (PHB1 & PHB 2) and feats. I was considering the Celestial Sorcerer feat chain from PHB2. Assuming a Human Ranger/Sorc/EK build, I would have 5 feats by level 10 (1, 3, 6 & 9, plus Human bonus and EK bonus).

Standard gish spells seem like a no brainer - Mirror Image, Enlarge Person, Haste etc.

I was also thinking of making this character based on reach weapons - probably a glaive, since I don't really want to blow a feat on Spiked Chain...

Crow
2011-07-20, 10:31 PM
Pick up Heighten Spell to keep your most-used debuff/save-or-suck/save-or-die spells relevant as you level up. This opens up your options at higher levels when your spells known per spell level is not as high, but you have plenty of high level slots.

Even as a gish, it will be nice to have one or two spells of this variety available, and with the feat, they will always be a viable option. You won't be sorry.