PDA

View Full Version : Tome Expertise [PEACH]

Yakk
2011-07-20, 10:12 AM
Can you think of a way to abuse this? Better wording?

Tome Expertise +1 per tier feat bonus to implement attacks through a tome. In addition, you may cast daily attack spells directly from your spellbook if you have a Tome equipped. These must be the same level as an unexpended daily attack spell you have prepared, and it expends the daily attack spell you have prepared.

It is good (in that it boosts tome wizards flexibility massively), but is there a hole in it? And it is awkwardly worded.

Surrealistik
2011-07-20, 10:27 AM
I don't like that it doesn't allow you to sacrifice a higher level spell to use a lower one. I'd word it like this:

Benefit: You gain a +1 per tier feat bonus to implement attack rolls that you make with a tome.
You also can expend a prepared Daily attack power in order to prepare and use an unprepared Daily attack power in your spellbook of the same level or lower.

Kurald Galain
2011-07-20, 10:30 AM
This basically means you don't need to prepare daily spells, because they're always available. Considering you can get a lot of them in your spellbook (mainly by buying tome items), that doesn't strike me as a good idea. Restrict it to once per day and it's still good.

Fox Box Socks
2011-07-20, 10:49 AM
Once per day sounds fine. Lord knows we don't need Batman Wizards coming back.

Surrealistik
2011-07-20, 11:12 AM
Maybe once per two milestones? That's about equivalent to once per day, though it gives it some added flexibility if the wizard's party really goes the distance.

tcrudisi
2011-07-20, 11:18 AM
I just want to point out that it's a very similar benefit to the Deck of Spells (level 14+ item). That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it merits mentioning.

Yakk
2011-07-22, 09:47 AM
Burning higher level for low makes it either possible to cast the same spell multiple times, or harder to word. But with the traditional wizard (not the mage) this might be the case anyhow. Hmm.

And yes, I am aware it effectively does away with "preparing spells" effectively.

Surrealistik
2011-07-22, 09:55 AM
Burning higher level for low makes it either possible to cast the same spell multiple times, or harder to word. But with the traditional wizard (not the mage) this might be the case anyhow. Hmm.

No, at least not normally, because the caveat with my wording is that you can only 'swap in' and use an unprepared spell; you can't prepare the same spell, and at the same time, keep it unprepared, which you would need to do in order to cast the same spell multiple times.