PDA

View Full Version : Colossal Sized Familiar?

TheRinni
2011-07-20, 10:17 AM
I love the idea of a colossal familiar, and it is acheived in http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869366/The_most_powerful_character._EVER. (Pun-Pun's level 5 build) However, I don't exactly understand how.

Ability Scores: Pun-Pun grants himeslf the Wu-Jen spell Giant Size as a spell-like ability at-will. He casts it on his familiar through the Share Spells ability. This increases the viper to colossal size, granting the viper a +32 size bonus to strength.
According to the spell, Giant Size, you need a level of 19 or higher to make yourself colossal sized. Pun-Pun also doesn't have a single level in Wu Jen.

1st–15th Huge (20 ft.) +16 –2 +4 +3 –2 15 ft./15 ft.
16th–18th Gargantuan (40 ft.) +24 –2 +8 +7 –4 20 ft./20 ft.
19th or higher Colossal (72 ft.) +32 –2 +12 +12 –8 30 ft./30 ft.

hamishspence
2011-07-20, 10:19 AM
All you need is caster level for SLAs, not class levels.

Kojiro
2011-07-20, 10:22 AM
I think that an integral part of the Pun-Pun plan involves a certain ability, forgot what it was, that basically lets you... Change and/or grant abilities, including (only?) to yourself. This would involve giving himself that Wu Jen ability, although as he can also give himself arbitrarily high (but technically not infinite, as a recent thread discussed) stats and other ridiculous things, such a familiar is really the least of his abilities.

Assuming I'm correct. I could be completely wrong here.

Unrelated to that, but related to the main topic, I also sort of like the idea of a familiar that is larger than the master, although admittedly that doesn't quite fit with the general idea of a familiar. Could be interesting, though; I think you may just be able to use some Enlarge <whatever> spell and Permanency, though, rather than psychotic tricks like Pun-Pun. Maybe. Again, I could be completely wrong about this.

Pokonic
2011-07-20, 10:25 AM
However, no matter what it is, name it Fluffy. Of Shnuggles.:smallbiggrin:

TheRinni
2011-07-20, 10:28 AM

I want it for my Magician-esque Illusionist with a white rabbit familiar who lives in her top hat. Fluffy, or Shnuggles sounds like perfect names.

Amnestic
2011-07-20, 10:28 AM

Sir Fluffykins of Shnugglesville the Third, Esq.

TheRinni
2011-07-20, 10:31 AM

I guess the next question is: How do I get my caster level up that high at level 5?

mootoall
2011-07-20, 10:44 AM
The only way to even get the SLA is by being Pun-Pun or a special DM agreement. And Pun-Pun requires a special DM agreement, pretty much.

Keld Denar
2011-07-20, 10:48 AM
I guess the next question is: How do I get my caster level up that high at level 5?

You don't. Pun-Pun does because he's the freakin Pun-Pun.

List of stuff that increases CL. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level)

TheRinni
2011-07-20, 12:17 PM

List of stuff that increases CL. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level)

Hrm. You are correct. The thought of wasting a 7th level spell, not to mention all the class levels in Wu Jen, does not appeal to me.

Still, I think there is another way to accomplish this. Let's say I took a dip into Fleshwarper (Lords of Madness). At level one my familiar could become an aberration, and mutate to become a large sized creature. Then, I could cast Animal Growth to get me to Huge. Normally, multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack. However, rather than temporarily increasing the familiar's size, the Aberrant Familiar ability changes the familiar's size. Forever. (Hey, my DM agreed to this logic, so, yeah.)

CTrees
2011-07-20, 02:25 PM
Unrelated to that, but related to the main topic, I also sort of like the idea of a familiar that is larger than the master, although admittedly that doesn't quite fit with the general idea of a familiar. Could be interesting, though; I think you may just be able to use some Enlarge <whatever> spell and Permanency, though, rather than psychotic tricks like Pun-Pun. Maybe. Again, I could be completely wrong about this.

*cough*PF Summoner*cough*

CTrees
2011-07-20, 02:27 PM

*cough*PF Summoner*cough*

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-07-21, 05:47 PM
Poor OP, thinking that it takes ascension to get something as simple as a colossal sized familia

Milo v3
2011-07-22, 01:23 AM
So you want a colossal sized weakness. Familiar's only get half your HP.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-22, 03:49 AM

Or he could just grant himself "giant size as a spell-like ability with a caster level of x" for some x>=19.

Cieyrin
2011-07-22, 08:43 AM
So you want a colossal sized weakness. Familiar's only get half your HP.

You could alternatively go druid and use the Cityscape ACF to get a familiar wth 3/4 your hp and then optimize hp. :smallwink:

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-07-22, 08:46 PM
I don't really play casters but hp isn't a problem when your companion familiar has more HD than you d

Milo v3
2011-07-22, 09:00 PM
For Familiars HD doesn't determine HP.