PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question

Deathslayer7
2011-07-20, 12:32 PM
So I'm looking to make a portable forge for one of my characters. This is what the GM quoted.

According to the DMG II, setting up a forge would be a Shop business, which would cost about 3,000gp worth of coin and material to set up

But that's not even considering the cost to make it portable. Does anyone know where I could find it in the books about a portable forge. It doesn't even have to be a good forge, just something that is cheap and that I could use.

Ksheep
2011-07-20, 12:38 PM
Not sure off the top of my head, but you may want to check the Arms and Equipment Guide. They may have something similar that you may be able to use.

If worst comes to worst, I think that it has a Portable Alchemist's Lab, which you could use as a baseline to create a Portable Forge. Since they both give the same bonus and are both for a similar thing (craft), the prices should be comparable, although you may have to adjust the weight.

Telonius
2011-07-20, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure how big a forge would be. But if you have a spellcaster in the group, Shrink Item once every few days should allow you to pack it up in a Bag of Holding. 2 cubic feet per level adds up pretty quickly.

Ksheep
2011-07-20, 12:59 PM
Portable forges can be fairly small, around the size of a small grill, so portability shouldn't be much of a problem. You'd just need a cart or a bag of holding/portable hole. Here's an example of a portable forge:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l9MoxMVWXw4/Smr0czmaz_I/AAAAAAAAAXg/FxvBpJWWtvE/s400/Portaforge7.jpg

Of course, you'd also need an anvil and iron working tools, but I know you can find those in the various books.

Deathslayer7
2011-07-20, 02:01 PM
ok i should elaborate a bit more. We are level 1, so i have about 80 gp to spend on this. Would that be enough to get the equipment.

I also bought a mule to carry this around.

OracleofSilence
2011-07-20, 02:03 PM
you can use a forge to make a portable forge. the vagueness of crafting rules is your friend.

Ksheep
2011-07-20, 02:06 PM
I don't have all my books on me at the moment, but if we use the Alchemist's lab as a rough guide, an Alchemist's Lab in the PHB is 500 GP... so probably not. I'd say at least 200 GP for the furnace, plus whatever anvil costs, as well as hammer and tongs. So... 250+? You should be able to afford all that by level 2 or so... unless your DM decides to say otherwise.

Prime32
2011-07-20, 02:14 PM
So I'm looking to make a portable forge for one of my characters. This is what the GM quoted.

According to the DMG II, setting up a forge would be a Shop business, which would cost about 3,000gp worth of coin and material to set up

But that's not even considering the cost to make it portable. Does anyone know where I could find it in the books about a portable forge. It doesn't even have to be a good forge, just something that is cheap and that I could use.That's for setting up a business - it's like comparing "drawing stick figures" to "creating and running OotS". A portable forge should be less expensive, not more, since you don't need a building or anything.

"Artisan's tools", which cover a specific Craft skill, are 5gp.

Ksheep
2011-07-20, 02:59 PM
I would think that the "Artisan's tools" price would more closely approximate the cost of the tongs and hammer (hammer is 5 SP if I recall correctly), not the forge or anvil. After all, the Artisan's Tools is used to cover woodworking, leatherworking, and the like, which all require MUCH less than smithy work. I'd personally rule that Artisans tools only covers the actual tools of the trade, not the larger items needed.