PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Weapons

Squiderking
2011-07-20, 12:34 PM
I like the concept of my weapons being on fire, and I'd like to apply this to a character I'm making. However I'm not a huge fan of the Flaming weapon enhancement, not a whole lot of bang for your buck.

So I'd like to ask if anyone knows any mechanics that visually support this (weapons on fire) while more mechanically viable. If you'd like to suggest spells my characters a druid, so that spell list is most accessible. Basically any printed book from WotC for 3.5 is in play and I'd likely have access to PF as well.

Also, first post! Hi GitP!

Thanks in advance.

Piggy Knowles
2011-07-20, 12:35 PM
Weapon Afire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm#weaponAfire) sounds like it's what you're looking for, although it would require at least four levels in another class, which is not a great idea for a druid.

OracleofSilence
2011-07-20, 12:38 PM
eh. pyrokineticist is alright. i just feel like there must be a better way to do that. their damage is kinda substandard for a dedicated caster.

Piggy Knowles
2011-07-20, 12:40 PM
I know it is, I just can't help myself. I love the class, and wish it was mechanically better.

It is fun for Power Attack abuse in a low-op game, though!

Squiderking
2011-07-20, 12:55 PM
Big Pyrokineticist fan myself, but ya, probably not for this character.

When I played one the DM let me use Bolt of Fire as a attack action allowing multiples for high bab, that was fun.

OracleofSilence
2011-07-20, 01:01 PM
wait. you are playing a druid.

why do you want flaming weapons? just wildshape into a Fleshripper (MM2) and use Venomfire (Serpent Kingdoms). boom. gigantic amounts of (ostensibly flaming) damage. if you are dead set on Flaming Weapons, don't Druids have a Flaming Weapon spell?

ericgrau
2011-07-20, 01:03 PM
Flame arrow is great for archers. It's not 3.5, but Pathfinder has draconic reservoir to give your allies resistance to your fireballs and enemy fire, and as a result makes their weapon flaming as the protected energy type is absorbed.

Big Fau
2011-07-20, 01:04 PM
Visual equivalent? Just apply Continual Flame to your weapon.

Mechanical superior? Very little aside from homebrewing a Produce Flame variant that affects manufactered weapons.

Thespianus
2011-07-20, 01:10 PM
In NWN2 there was a spell called Flame Weapon that set the weapon ablaze and added 1D8 fire damage., but it seems to be specific to the game. I can't find anything similar in my books.

What about the Flaming Weapon enhancement don't you like?

kalkyrie
2011-07-20, 01:17 PM
You might want to take a look at the 2nd level Druid spell- 'Flame Blade'.
While it's not high-optimization, it lets you turn your melee attacks into touch attacks (effectively). Mix in some Power Attack, and it's a decent attack.

Convince your DM to let you cast it twice (and then dual-wield). Then put all the GP you saved on not buying magic weapons into some more useful magic items.

HappyBlanket
2011-07-20, 01:20 PM
What level are you at right now? Are you a full Druid? What are your feats?

Ergh... The Flaming Weapon enhancement is precisely what you're looking for. It's just overpriced >> ...And it does Fire Damage. Which is a pretty bad source of damage, mechanically.

Winds
2011-07-20, 01:23 PM
The NWN2 spell is the Wiz/Sorc spell Blades of Fire, which adds temporary flames to weapons. The NWN2 version is slightly higher.

As far as the weapon goes-maybe a weapon enchanted with Faerie Fire? Or just have a Light-enchanted weapon with that as the alternate fluff.

Big Fau
2011-07-20, 01:24 PM
What about the Flaming Weapon enhancement don't you like?

Probably everything about it, seeing as it adds 1d6 of the most commonly resisted energy type in the game and is overpriced at a +1.

aquaticrna
2011-07-20, 01:28 PM
weapon enhancement crystals, you can get basically the same thing as flaming, but they don't add a +1 to your sword and can be swapped out they're in MIC. I don't know if the ones listed in there are different from whatever book they first appeared in.

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-20, 01:29 PM
You could go with the weapon crystals out of Magic Item Compendium. Way cheaper than making the weapon itself flaming, you just plug it in on an existing magic weapon, and enjoy what's effectively the flaming enhancement. Even better, once you decide to donate that old ugly weapon to some orphans or something, you can take the crystal out and plug it into your new weapon. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Blasted ninjas! :smallamused:

Piggy Knowles
2011-07-20, 01:30 PM
While it's high level, Druids do get Brilliant Blade and Brilliant Aura, which could be refluffed as flaming. It won't deal extra fiery damage, but it will let you ignore non-living material with your weapons, effectively turning your attacks into touch attacks against a lot of foes.

Other than that, as was already mentioned, Flame Blade or Produce Flame are your only real options that I can think of, if you're sticking with the druid spell list.

Ksheep
2011-07-20, 01:37 PM
As far as the weapon goes-maybe a weapon enchanted with Faerie Fire? Or just have a Light-enchanted weapon with that as the alternate fluff.

Why enchant it with light? Magic weapons already have a 30% chance of emitting light as per the Light spell. Granted, it's an oft-overlooked passage, but it's right there.

Light Generation

Fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a light spell (bright light in a 20-foot radius, shadowy light in a 40-foot radius). These glowing weapons are quite obviously magical. Such a weapon can’t be concealed when drawn, nor can its light be shut off. Some of the specific weapons detailed below always or never glow, as defined in their descriptions.

Fax Celestis
2011-07-20, 01:42 PM
Flame blade is pretty much exactly what you're looking for, and it's in core.

ericgrau
2011-07-20, 02:08 PM
It also tends to be weaker than a flaming weapon :smallconfused:. Though "a sword-like beam" is cool fluff for the light saber-ness.

If you hire someone to craft your weapon or you make it yourself it's your choice whether or not it emits light IIRC.

Squiderking
2011-07-20, 02:10 PM
Those weapon enhancement crystals are basically exactly what Im looking for I get the mechanic of flaming without the grossly overpriced cost of a +1. Of course I need a +3 enhancement bonus instead, hmmm.

Still thanks for the help

What level are you at right now? Are you a full Druid? What are your feats?

Im 7th level and straight druid so far. I'm eyeing up that Lion PRC in exalted tho.

relevant feats are:
Extra Wild Shape
Natural Spell
Improved Grapple
Natural Bond

I'm a warforged druid, who's taken a variant found in Dragon which basically streamlines my wildshape into one "totem" animal and accelerates wildshape progression at the cost of limiting it to a single animal, in this case an Ape.

If you haven't figured it out yet I'm an Optimus Prime/Primal expy. My Dm's an enormous Transformers fan so this characters basically just to annoy/amuse him. I'm having alot of fun basically being the party paladin, "freedom is the right of all sentients" and all that jazz.

Obviously the pursuit of flaming weapons is a result of Optimus's Flaming sword and axe in Dark Side of the Moon. I'd like to fit dual wielding in but having not been build from scratch for it I don't think it is likely I can get it to work.

ericgrau
2011-07-20, 02:12 PM
Ah, so it must be melee. Well the simple answer is to take a flaming weapon anyway. Even as the most common resistance fire resistance is uncommon. At 7th level it's even useful, against trolls, web and swarms for example. Spell storing with some kind of fire spell could work too, and it's even better with 2 weapons.

aquaticrna
2011-07-20, 02:14 PM
Those weapon enhancement crystals are basically exactly what Im looking for I get the mechanic of flaming without the grossly overpriced cost of a +1. Of course I need a +3 enhancement bonus instead, hmmm.

there are three different levels of each crystal, one only requires masterwork (the crystal adds +1 elemental damage) one requires a +1 for +1d6 damage, and the +3 version adds +1d6 damage and something else (don't remember)

Squiderking
2011-07-20, 02:16 PM
there are three different levels of each crystal, one only requires masterwork (the crystal adds +1 elemental damage) one requires a +1 for +1d6 damage, and the +3 version adds +1d6 damage and something else (don't remember)

Thats a good point, I don't really need the delayed +1d6, especially with it not stacking, and I need at least a +1 anyway. nice.

Alefiend
2011-07-20, 02:34 PM
I think Fax Celestis is on the right track. Designing a weapon enchantment that behaves like Flame Blade but lets you keep the original weapon's physical damage as well would be great. In fact, I'd propose making an effect like this be the replacement for the Flaming enchantment.

Also: Whoever designed that Pyrokineticist PrC needs to read up on the concept of heat death. It does not mean what he thinks it means (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe).

Thespianus
2011-07-20, 04:58 PM
Probably everything about it, seeing as it adds 1d6 of the most commonly resisted energy type in the game and is overpriced at a +1.

Ok, but you ARE asking about an effect that is the most commonly resisted energy type in the game. ;)

What would be a reasonable Fire-effect, in your mind, for a +1 price?

Keld Denar
2011-07-20, 05:02 PM
Fires of Purity is a higher level druid spell. Why set your weapon on fire when you can set YOURSELF ON FIRE!

Ineresting synergy...ninjas can't grapple you under the effects of Fires of Purity. Actually, most people can't grapple you, not just ninjas!

Big Fau
2011-07-20, 05:35 PM
Ok, but you ARE asking about an effect that is the most commonly resisted energy type in the game. ;)

What would be a reasonable Fire-effect, in your mind, for a +1 price?

4d6, minimum. Plus or minus Cha modifier. At least then a 2nd level spell doesn't render it useless.

King Atticus
2011-07-20, 06:23 PM
Ah, so it must be melee. Well the simple answer is to take a flaming weapon anyway. Even as the most common resistance fire resistance is uncommon. At 7th level it's even useful, against trolls, web and swarms for example. Spell storing with some kind of fire spell could work too, and it's even better with 2 weapons.

Just wait until your next encounter and take one outta the pile, everybody has something flaming-and-slashy and it'll save you half the gold because it should only count as half retail for sell back purposes.

I know it is, I just can't help myself. I love the class, and wish it was mechanically better.

+1, It gives me the warm fuzzies too. :smallbiggrin: