PDA

View Full Version : Time to break out the Boomerang!

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 02:08 PM
Alright everyone, for a D&D 3.5 campaign, I was thinking about making a fighter who specialzies in the boomerang. I just recently discovered that they actually exist in D&D, and liked the idea. Boomerangs just seem kinda cool to use. *Cough* Sokka *cough* I know boomerangs aren't going to be as powerful as something like an axe, but is it possible to make a decent build using boomerangs as a main weapon?

Prime32
2011-07-20, 02:11 PM
Try the Bloodstorm Blade PrCToB, which lets you throw anything and have it return to you instantly (rather than at the end of the round). Use a greatsword and say it's a giant serrated boomerang which requires special training to use.

As a bonus, you can use it to deliver Setting Sun maneuvers and knock people around the place when you hit.

OracleofSilence
2011-07-20, 02:14 PM
sure. it won't be great, but it seems like you could get decent flavor through stuff like weapon aptitude and chakram ricochet. take a look at the Scimarang Slinger (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Scimerang_Slinger_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build) ) and mess around with it. just swap from scimatar to boomerang. i see no reason that it wouldn't work.

gbprime
2011-07-20, 02:16 PM
Alright everyone, for a D&D 3.5 campaign, I was thinking about making a fighter who specialzies in the boomerang. I just recently discovered that they actually exist in D&D, and liked the idea. Boomerangs just seem kinda cool to use. *Cough* Sokka *cough* I know boomerangs aren't going to be as powerful as something like an axe, but is it possible to make a decent build using boomerangs as a main weapon?

Oh heck yeah. Check your Eberron source material for a feat called Boomerang Daze (Races of Eberron, pg 108). When hit by said boomerang, the target needs to make a Fort Save equal to (10 + damage taken) to avoid being Dazed for 1 round.

Later in your career, you upgrade that by getting a melee weapon capable of doing massive damage, and you put on it the Aptitude Weapon enchantment (Tome of Battle, pg 148). Now all of a sudden, you can use Boomerang Daze with that weapon too... and you get multiple attacks that do lots of damage for high saves against that Dazing effect.

The end result is a fighter type who can deprive targets of actions with either melee or ranged attacks.

Big Fau
2011-07-20, 02:34 PM
Oh heck yeah. Check your Eberron source material for a feat called Boomerang Daze (Races of Eberron, pg 108). When hit by said boomerang, the target needs to make a Fort Save equal to (10 + damage taken) to avoid being Dazed for 1 round.

Later in your career, you upgrade that by getting a melee weapon capable of doing massive damage, and you put on it the Aptitude Weapon enchantment (Tome of Battle, pg 148). Now all of a sudden, you can use Boomerang Daze with that weapon too... and you get multiple attacks that do lots of damage for high saves against that Dazing effect.

The end result is a fighter type who can deprive targets of actions with either melee or ranged attacks.

Then you throw in BSB (as Prime said) and Daze everyone in the room who isn't friendly.

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 02:37 PM

Awesome! Boomerang can daze. That's very nice. Hopefully it doesn't require too many perquisites or anything, since we will just now be starting at level one. I was thinking of being a human fighter for the extra feats
and I am allowed to take up to two flaws, so I was thinking about taking point blank shot, precise shot, exotic weapon proficiency with that Eberron boomerang that does 1D6 of damage (I can't remember the name of it.), weapon focus with said boomerang, and dead eye for feats. Does that seem like a good start?

Prime32
2011-07-20, 03:00 PM
Awesome! Boomerang can daze. That's very nice. Hopefully it doesn't require too many perquisites or anything, since we will just now be starting at level one. I was thinking of being a human fighter for the extra feats
and I am allowed to take up to two flaws, so I was thinking about taking point blank shot, precise shot, exotic weapon proficiency with that Eberron boomerang that does 1D6 of damage (I can't remember the name of it.), weapon focus with said boomerang, and dead eye for feats. Does that seem like a good start?I recommend starting as a cleric (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773), since you can get Weapon Focus as a bonus feat from the War domain. Then you pick up Travel Devotion...

Take a level in warblade and keep your Balance skill up, and you'll be able to start as a Bloodstorm Blade at 6th level.

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 03:04 PM
I recommend starting as a cleric (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773), since you can get Weapon Focus as a bonus feat from the War domain. Then you pick up Travel Devotion...

Hmmm, I haven't played a cleric before so I don't really know how that would work, although I'm sure it would. However my DM is using tier restrictions, and I don't think tier one classes aren't allowed so I can't do that.

Flickerdart
2011-07-20, 03:08 PM
Neraphim from the Planar Handbook get free proficiency with the annulus, which is infinitely more stylish than a boomerang while filling the same role. Doesn't RAW qualify for Boomerang Daze, but should. There's also the awesome Neraph Throw feat from the same book (that can be taken by any race) which denies enemies DEX to AC once per encounter per enemy. Slap some Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike on there and go to town!

Prime32
2011-07-20, 03:09 PM
Hmmm, I haven't played a cleric before so I don't really know how that would work, although I'm sure it would. However my DM is using tier restrictions, and I don't think tier one classes aren't allowed so I can't do that.1 level of cleric =/= has spells that solve any situation instantly.

Even a cleric 10/wizard 10 is horribly weak as an lv20 character, despite both classes being tier 1, since they just have lv10 abilities that last twice as long. A full spellcasting class grows exponentially more powerful the larger a part of your build it takes up.

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 03:14 PM
I recommend starting as a cleric (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773), since you can get Weapon Focus as a bonus feat from the War domain. Then you pick up Travel Devotion...

Take a level in warblade and keep your Balance skill up, and you'll be able to start as a Bloodstorm Blade at 6th level.

1 level of cleric =/= has spells that solve any situation instantly.

Even a cleric 10/wizard 10 is horribly weak as an lv20 character, despite both classes being tier 1.

Hm, well would you mind explaining how taking cleric would help again? If I tell my DM that I am only taking one level in cleric for whatever it is then he might allow it.

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 03:16 PM
Neraphim from the Planar Handbook get free proficiency with the annulus, which is infinitely more stylish than a boomerang while filling the same role. Doesn't RAW qualify for Boomerang Daze, but should. There's also the awesome Neraph Throw feat from the same book (that can be taken by any race) which denies enemies DEX to AC once per encounter per enemy. Slap some Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike on there and go to town!

Oh sweet! That could make thing even better. Adding extra D6's in addition to the potential to daze. That could be very nice.

Prime32
2011-07-20, 03:20 PM
Hm, well would you mind explaining how taking cleric would help again? If I tell my DM that I am only taking one level in cleric for whatever it is then he might allow it.You get two domains (which can be traded for Devotion feats), and turn undead, which can be used to fuel Divine and Devotion feats (it will quickly become useless for actually fighting undead as you leave the cleric level behind). You don't need a Wis score higher than 11.

These boost your fighting ability rather than your casting ability. With just lv1 spells you're not going to be shattering any games anyway - they're most useful for letting you use healing wands between fights, though a rogue with UMD can do that just as well.

Read the link for more. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773)

Big Fau
2011-07-20, 03:22 PM
Hm, well would you mind explaining how taking cleric would help again? If I tell my DM that I am only taking one level in cleric for whatever it is then he might allow it.

You are taking it for the War domain (Core) and the Travel domain (Core), then using Complete Champion to swap out the Travel domain for the Devotion feat. Your spells really do not matter.

Now we need to find a Halfling Deity with the War and Travel domains who has a favored weapon (Talenta Boomerang).

Prime32
2011-07-20, 03:25 PM
Now we need to find a Halfling Deity with the War and Travel domains who has a favored weapon (Talenta Boomerang).Or invent such a deity, or say your religion is philosophy-based ("Philosophy: becoming a great boomerang fighter")

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 03:31 PM
As a bonus, you can use it to deliver Setting Sun maneuvers and knock people around the place when you hit.

Iron. Heart. IRON! HEART!

gbprime
2011-07-20, 03:43 PM
and I am allowed to take up to two flaws, so I was thinking about taking point blank shot, precise shot, exotic weapon proficiency with that Eberron boomerang that does 1D6 of damage (I can't remember the name of it.), weapon focus with said boomerang, and dead eye for feats. Does that seem like a good start?

Those are good feats, yes. You just need proficiency and +4 BAB to take Boomerang Daze, so that will come online at level 4.

You'll want to spend a feat later on Quickdraw, so you can throw more than 1 boomerang in a round when you get multiple attacks. (And carry more than 1, since they don't come back if you hit your target!)

Then at level 6, take Weapon Specialization (Boomerang). Normally, Weapon Specialization is a terrible waste of a feat for a mere +2 damage, but in this case, it's also +2 to the save DC against being Dazed!

Your second feat at level 6 should be Boomerang Richochet. (Races of Eberron, pg 108) It allows you to make a second ranged attack at -2 against an adjacent target after you hit your initial target. Then both make the fort save or be dazed.

gbprime
2011-07-20, 03:45 PM
You don't need a Wis score higher than 11.

Which is good, because Sokka was mentioned as the archtype. :smallamused:

I'd skip the caster levels, actually. If you put Boomerang Daze to work, you can get your job done nicely without having to resort to Bending... er, uh... spell casting. :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2011-07-20, 03:57 PM
Iron. Heart. IRON! HEART!Yes, you can do those too.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 04:02 PM
Yes, you can do those too.

Unless you somehow think you have to hit your opponent with a weapon to activate the throw maneuvers, it doesn't work for Setting Sun. :smallconfused: You can still use stuff like Hydra Slaying Strike, because you have to hit an opponent with a weapon for that to work.

Prime32
2011-07-20, 04:05 PM
Unless you somehow think you have to hit your opponent with a weapon to activate the throw maneuvers, it doesn't work for Setting Sun. :smallconfused: You can still use stuff like Hydra Slaying Strike, because you have to hit an opponent with a weapon for that to work.Bloodstorm blades can treat ranged attacks as melee attacks. The throws require you to make a melee touch attack.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-20, 04:47 PM
Bloodstorm blades can treat ranged attacks as melee attacks. The throws require you to make a melee touch attack.

And how do you intend to make a touch attack?

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 04:48 PM
Those are good feats, yes. You just need proficiency and +4 BAB to take Boomerang Daze, so that will come online at level 4.

You'll want to spend a feat later on Quickdraw, so you can throw more than 1 boomerang in a round when you get multiple attacks. (And carry more than 1, since they don't come back if you hit your target!)

Then at level 6, take Weapon Specialization (Boomerang). Normally, Weapon Specialization is a terrible waste of a feat for a mere +2 damage, but in this case, it's also +2 to the save DC against being Dazed!

Your second feat at level 6 should be Boomerang Richochet. (Races of Eberron, pg 108) It allows you to make a second ranged attack at -2 against an adjacent target after you hit your initial target. Then both make the fort save or be dazed.

Alright, yeah those are good feats to take. Quick draw, boomerang daze, and boomerang ricochet, I will definitely take those, along with weapon specialization. I was thinking of taking two weapon fighting at some point too, so I could have more attacks which means more richochets which means lots of potential chances to daze things.

Which is good, because Sokka was mentioned as the archtype.

I'd skip the caster levels, actually. If you put Boomerang Daze to work, you can get your job done nicely without having to resort to Bending... er, uh... spell casting.
Hm. Maybe I could throw in an absurdly powerful black sword at later levels instead...

Prime32
2011-07-20, 04:58 PM
And how do you intend to make a touch attack?Because that is part of the maneuver. :smallconfused: A touch attack is not a special kind of ability; it's an attack where you apply different modifiers to AC, like hitting someone who's denied their Dex modifier to AC. It is literally touching them rather than striking at a vulnerable area. You might as well ask how a normal user of the maneuver intends to make a melee touch attack.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 05:00 PM
A touch attack is not a special kind of ability. It's an attack where you apply different modifiers to AC, like hitting someone who's denied their Dex modifier to AC. It is literally touching them rather than striking at a vulnerable area.

I think it has to be an unarmed touch attack, like how you initiate a grapple. It makes no sense to poke someone with a sword and send them flying through the air without harming them.

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 05:08 PM
Oh! Just had an idea. I could prestige into master thrower and take the trip trick, so in addition to doing damage, and potentially dazing them, I could also trip them as part of the attack.

Big Fau
2011-07-20, 05:17 PM
(And carry more than 1, since they don't come back if you hit your target!)

What? That may be true IRL, but not in 3.5.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 05:18 PM
What? That may be true IRL, but not in 3.5.

Have you read the boomerang's description? It doesn't come back unless you miss.

Flickerdart
2011-07-20, 05:25 PM
Exotic Weapon Master might have something for you. Close-Quarters Ranged Combat is pretty nice, Ranged Disarm could get you somewhere, and then you might as well take the third level for Twin Exotic Weapon Fighting.

Big Fau
2011-07-20, 05:31 PM
Have you read the boomerang's description? It doesn't come back unless you miss.

AFB, but I recall BSB being involed. They return hit or miss.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 05:34 PM

Only if you expend a readied Iron Heart strike.

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 05:35 PM

AFB, BSB? All I know is I hope boomerangs return. If not maybe I can convince my DM to allow it. It's not like that would make boomerangs overpowered or anything. It's just at level one I can't afford that many boomerangs.

Slipperychicken
2011-07-20, 06:50 PM
AFB, BSB?

BSB stands for Bloodstorm Blade, a prestige class in Tome of Battle which focuses on using melee weapons at range. AFB stands for Away From Books.

Then you throw in BSB (as Prime said) and Daze everyone in the room who isn't friendly.

Along the line of denying actions, adding the Sudden Stunning (+2,000gp, DMGII 261) and Paralyzing (+2, BoED 113) weapon enhancements would allow you to target all three saves vs. action denial, and for much longer than one round.

Only if you expend a readied Iron Heart strike.

...Or have a Crystal of Returning on your weapon of choice.

Treblain
2011-07-20, 07:02 PM
Having a boomerang return to you magically kind of misses the point of using boomerangs, doesn't it?

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 07:09 PM
I thought boomerangs were all about returning to the thrower. Unfortunately this means I either have to spend every other turn collecting my boomerang(s) or buy nothing but boomerangs.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 07:12 PM
I thought boomerangs were all about returning to the thrower. Unfortunately this means I either have to spend every other turn collecting my boomerang(s) or buy nothing but boomerangs.

Only if you miss. The only non-magical way to get them to defy the laws of physics is to take a level in bloodstorm blade. Seriously, it's like that in real life, why should it be different unless you practiced a certain way?

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 07:18 PM
But this is D&D. Awesome physic defying stuff is supposed to happen>_> Sokka's boomerang returns, most of the time.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 07:25 PM
But this is D&D. Awesome physic defying stuff is supposed to happen>_> Sokka's boomerang returns, most of the time.

Sokka's a warblade x/bloodstorm blade 1 or 2.

Angeal976
2011-07-20, 07:34 PM
Sokka's a warblade x/bloodstorm blade 1 or 2.

Haha, rats. That's it time to make a caster who specializes in water. What now Sokka?!

So what are some ways a boomerang can return to me if it does hit? Feats, class features, magic stuff? What would work?

Delorien
2013-03-23, 08:44 PM
So what are some ways a boomerang can return to me if it does hit? Feats, class features, magic stuff? What would work?

I know this thread is long dead but just as a note If you can have magic enhancements there is exit wound (+1) from Complete Warrior that lets a ranged weapon continue through the target and continue on to hit cumulative targets, for each target passed through you gain a cumulative -4 penalty to the attack rolls. This does require the weapon to travel in a predetermined arc or line though.

I think you could easily adapt this to allow a hit (and possibly a second if the enemies decide to line up for you) and then essentially a DC 14 (or more) attack roll for it to return.