PDA

View Full Version : Inverse of Brilliant Energy??

Aerlock
2011-07-20, 03:44 PM
Is there an enchantment or spell that will do the inverse of the Brilliant Energy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#brilliantEnergy) enchantment? i.e. ignore damage to living beings but do full damage to items/armor/etc.

- Aerlock

OldFart
2011-07-20, 09:36 PM
Yes. Unfortunately, it is campaign-setting-specific, and only available to barbarians with the leadership feat and a Mok cohort. Demon Dogs! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundarr_The_Barbarian)

The Glyphstone
2011-07-20, 09:37 PM
So no. Could be homebrewed easily, though.

deuxhero
2011-07-21, 02:20 AM
You could use Mountain Hammer,

Ernir
2011-07-21, 05:20 AM
Spell, you say? Would Shatter do the trick?

Ravens_cry
2011-07-21, 08:20 AM
Spell, you say? Would Shatter do the trick?
How about a merciful spell storing weapon with shatter in it?

Aerlock
2011-07-21, 11:21 AM
How about a merciful spell storing weapon with shatter in it?

Not quite. I was looking for something that specifically did not harm living beings but was fully effective against undead, constructs, and objects. Bypassing hardness/DR and/or allowing crits would be nice but not necessarily needed.

Since nothing like that seems to exist, what would you think an appropriate price would be for an enchantment that did not harm living beings (including live plants or other living materials like liveoak, bondleaf wrap etc.) but was effective against undead, constructs, and objects Bypassing hardness/DR and allowing crits? +2?+3?

- Aerlock

Bakkan
2011-07-21, 05:52 PM
If it allowed crits but not Sneak Attack, I would estimate +2. If it allowed Sneak Attack, I would estimate +3.

ericgrau
2011-07-21, 06:41 PM
Bypassing hardness/DR seems wonky. All DR? But ok I'd say you'd use that in a construct and/or undead heavy campaign, who both tend to have DR, to bypass maybe 10 DR. That's worth maybe a +3 but it's situational so +2.

What I'd prefer is something that does 1d6 to objects and non-living creatures, as a +1 enchantment. But maybe that's not what you're after.

Aerlock
2011-07-21, 11:13 PM
If it allowed crits but not Sneak Attack, I would estimate +2. If it allowed Sneak Attack, I would estimate +3.
I was picturing this for a rogue character to use as a weapon when going against undead, constructs or objects so yeah it would allow SA.

Bypassing hardness/DR seems wonky. All DR? But ok I'd say you'd use that in a construct and/or undead heavy campaign, who both tend to have DR, to bypass maybe 10 DR. That's worth maybe a +3 but it's situational so +2.

What I'd prefer is something that does 1d6 to objects and non-living creatures, as a +1 enchantment. But maybe that's not what you're after.That isn't quite what I was after. I was thinking just bypass the hardness/DR of undead, constructs or objects. Maybe not all of it but a specified number similar to the way adamantine works. Any living creature with DR would not have their DR bypassed but they wouldn't have to worry anyway because the enchantment would cause the weapon to not damage them. It would ignore the AC bonuses from any living material like the previously mentioned liveoak and bondleaf wrap that said undead/construct/object may be protected by.

- Aerlock

Rei_Jin
2011-07-21, 11:27 PM
Sounds to me like the perfect enhancement to have on one end of a Quarterstaff, with Brilliant Energy on the other. Switch ends and use as a 2 handed weapon as required.

In terms of cost? Brilliant Energy is a +4 Mod, cos it bypasses all non-living matter. In the cast of what you're talking about (let's call it Dark Power) it would ignore all living matter and damage only non-living matter. So, any Undead, Object or Construct you attack would get their full AC against you, but you would ignore their DR or Hardness. To start with, I would specify that the base material MUST be Adamantine. Then, if you want it to be able to do Precision Based damage (SA and Crits) you'd be looking at a +3 Mod for mine.

It is probably something you'd be better off putting in a Weapon Crystal.