PDA

View Full Version : Any math base classes/PrC's?

danzibr
2011-07-20, 04:00 PM
I was thinking of Calculator in Final Fantasy Tactics and I was wondering... is there any 3.5 (or 3.0) class that has to do with math?

Of course you could say, "Every class has to do with math! Look at all the bookkeeping I do." But no, that's not what I mean. And I don't necessarily mean like FFT's Calculator, just math-themed in general.

Prime32
2011-07-20, 04:02 PM
The geometer PrC maybe?

Any Int-based caster presumably has to do a lot of calculations.

Optimator
2011-07-20, 04:12 PM
The fluff behind Sublime Chord and Lyric Thurmaturge is a little math-y.

subject42
2011-07-20, 04:19 PM
I regret saying this, but maybe Truenamer?

Your abilities function on a skill check, relative to hit die, meaning that your effectiveness revolves around one fairly simple equation.

FMArthur
2011-07-20, 04:25 PM
Illumians are basically humans made out of symbols and text. It wouldn't be a stretch to make one that is made out of mathematical formulae.

There's also the Spell Thematics feat that gives some of your spells whatever flavour you want.

mootoall
2011-07-20, 04:31 PM
I guess maybe Fatespinner? Its fluff is very "Probability? Ha!"

Merk
2011-07-20, 04:49 PM
I have a homebrew concept for this in the works. Mechanically, it works like a Shadowcaster (The SC's whole idea is that Everything is Shadows Behind the Scenes. For the Arithmetician, Everything is Math Behind the Scenes.)

Yes, "Divide By Zero" is a 9th level mystery.

Big Fau
2011-07-20, 04:51 PM
While not math-themed, the Artificer is a math geek's friend.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-21, 01:58 AM

Sweet! :smalltongue:

Darrin
2011-07-21, 05:56 AM
I was thinking of Calculator in Final Fantasy Tactics and I was wondering... is there any 3.5 (or 3.0) class that has to do with math?

Factotum. Every round they get to calculate just how awesome they are. As a class skill, of course.

UrsielHauke
2011-07-21, 09:04 PM

First of all, that was awesome. Epic win.

I think it's not so much the class/race whatever itself, but more of the way you play it. I would personally recommend a wizard, take a few ranks in Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) and similar, if your DM allows homebrew knowledge then Knowledge: Mathematics. Maybe play a geometer and start strategizing in terms of trigonometric ratios, or a psychotic fellow who wants to figure out the value of e, pi, or something similar to an arbitrary number of digits.
Also, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersymmetry)is where particle physics breaks math. Check it out. It's lots of fun.

NichG
2011-07-22, 02:59 AM
There was a Geometrica 'stellar magic' in a campaign I'm in, 5000xp a rank, that let you do the FF style calculator/Lv5 Doom/etc sort of thing. You could also use it to change anything that was mathematically perfect or close to it (e.g. you could alter the radius of a cylindrical tunnel), and you could do a sort of slow triangulation-based teleportation, by changing the angles of the triangle formed between you and two other definite points. Really powerful and very specific, since very few things are mathematically perfect.

It turned out that black holes are pretty mathematically perfect :smallbiggrin: