PDA

View Full Version : Fighter prestige class idea requests

Alenar
2011-07-20, 04:40 PM
A campaign that my friends and I are about to run through is comming up very soon and I would like some advice on this.

Background of the campaign is important here, as I want to roleplay this as much as I can. The setting of the campaign is in a way the first time we are doing this.

All players are Evil. We start off in early adulthood (18ish), street urchins, orphans. The campaign as far as I can tell will be limited to a city. Working our way up from the slums, starting with nothing. Not even a dagger or anything resembling armor, working up to the top of a criminal organization.

I'm looking for any ideas about prestige classes that don't involve a lot of magic. Spell like abilits, maybe. I'd like him to stay melee combat centric. Maybe something like a Ravager, but the religious ties described in the source book for that PClass were a bit much for this setting.
Any sort of Cleric related multiclass or prestige class (religion related. like warpriest, multiclass cleric etc) are not going to work because of the training the character would need before taking up that profession. Druids are prohibited in the campaign for this reason.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Lycar
2011-07-20, 05:13 PM
Have you considered to use the Thug (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm) Fighter variant from the UA for your mugger's base class?

They give up medium and heavy armour proficiencies (which shouldn't be a problem for a looong time in your campaign) but get 4 skill points/level and add Bluff, Gather Information, Know (Local) and Slight of Hand to their class skills.

There is also a variant that trades the 'has bonus feats' Fighter class feature for the Rogue's Sneak Attack progression. Basically turning a Thug into a more martially-minded Rogue. Still can be a pick-pocket.

Also, as far as Prestige Classes go, maybe the Street Fighter from Complete Adventurer is worth a look. They certainly meet the fluff and their prerequisites aren't that bad for someone with Sneak Attack.

Plus Stand Tough is a flavourful, if fairly weak ability (you can make a Fortitude save against the damage you just took from a physical attack, on success you only take half damage and it is only non-lethal damage). It can be a live-saver on occasion though.

King Atticus
2011-07-20, 06:36 PM
Possibly the Street Fighter PrC (CAdv 79). IIRC it's pretty weak but the fluff fits.

edit:swordsaged, damn my not reading whole posts. :smallwink:

Rei_Jin
2011-07-20, 06:52 PM
With what you're looking at, your character seems like he'd benefit from multi-classing with Rogue, for the extra skills and the dirty fighting aspect that you'd expect from a street thug.

If you're going to be working with other PCs, perhaps consider the Nightsong Enforcer and the Nightsong Infiltrator prestige classes in Complete Adventurer.

If you want to work with a shiv, perhaps consider the Invisible Blade from Complete Warrior

aquaticrna
2011-07-20, 06:53 PM
if you go with invisible blade i highly recommend changing the prereqs they don't make any sense

Alenar
2011-07-20, 06:58 PM
Well. If this amounts to anything. Character has already been rolled on.

Str: 17
Dex: 12
Con: 17
Int: 16
Wis: 13
Cha: 14

I'm a bit nervous for anything that is eschewing heavy armor. He may not have it starting out, but he will going later on. He will be the only one using heavy armor. Even tho hes evil and more concerned with his well being than his other cohorts, the others have pretty much stated they are magic weilders or a class thats limited to light armor. GM usually is pretty generous as far as looted items and equipment, as well as what will be available for purchase.

Edit: Damn my inability to pay full attention to posts. Thug would be a good choice if I had a higher dex score.

Rei_Jin
2011-07-20, 08:11 PM
Now I know you said Fighter, but I want to clarify if you mean fighter as in the archetype, or Fighter as in the class. If you simply mean to play a warrior/fighter type of character, the Book of Nine Swords will give you 90% of everything you could ever want.

If you do mean the Fighter class, then I'd suggest checking out the Fighter handbook - linkity link (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870606/The_Fighters_Handbook_--_2007) - for ideas on alternate class features, good feats to take, and ways to play a fighter (ie, different combat styles)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 08:19 PM
Now I know you said Fighter, but I want to clarify if you mean fighter as in the archetype, or Fighter as in the class. If you simply mean to play a warrior/fighter type of character, the Book of Nine Swords will give you 90% of everything you could ever want.

If you do mean the Fighter class, then I'd suggest checking out the Fighter handbook - linkity link (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870606/The_Fighters_Handbook_--_2007) - for ideas on alternate class features, good feats to take, and ways to play a fighter (ie, different combat styles)

The fighter handbook isn't all that good. It lists Agile Shield Fighter as "okay" not "good" for shield bashers. It also lists Twin Sword style (which is like dodge but +2 instead of +1) as "okay" because it gives a whole extra point of AC over dodge. It also lists many shot as "bad" because you're definitely not going to want to take a move action when the enemies start getting closer to your archer guy.

Edit: also, it lists handle animal as "bad" with the only reason why being "I'd completely dump this". Guess you haven't seen the level four build that allows you to train three 36 HP battletitans.

Rei_Jin
2011-07-20, 08:27 PM
It may not be brilliant, but I've not seen any others out there.

If someone on the Playground wants to make a better one, I'll link to that instead. Until then, beggars can't be choosers.

Flickerdart
2011-07-20, 08:34 PM
Make sure to take Dungeoncrasher - a street urchin without a weapon to his name would make use of his environment - run his enemies into walls, throw them into midden heaps, the works.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 08:39 PM
Make sure to take Dungeoncrasher - a street urchin without a weapon to his name would make use of his environment - run his enemies into walls, throw them into midden heaps, the works.

Kicks in the door when entering the tavern, causes lots of property damage, gets sued by the town... :smalltongue:

Alenar
2011-07-20, 08:45 PM
thank you very much for the link, Rei. I will give it a good look when I get home. Websense is blocking it, so I cant check it out on my lunch break.

And thanks to all the suggestions. Its given me a lot to consider.

JackRackham
2011-07-20, 09:31 PM
Have you considered to use the Thug (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm) Fighter variant from the UA for your mugger's base class?

They give up medium and heavy armour proficiencies (which shouldn't be a problem for a looong time in your campaign) but get 4 skill points/level and add Bluff, Gather Information, Know (Local) and Slight of Hand to their class skills.

There is also a variant that trades the 'has bonus feats' Fighter class feature for the Rogue's Sneak Attack progression. Basically turning a Thug into a more martially-minded Rogue. Still can be a pick-pocket.

Also, as far as Prestige Classes go, maybe the Street Fighter from Complete Adventurer is worth a look. They certainly meet the fluff and their prerequisites aren't that bad for someone with Sneak Attack.

Plus Stand Tough is a flavourful, if fairly weak ability (you can make a Fortitude save against the damage you just took from a physical attack, on success you only take half damage and it is only non-lethal damage). It can be a live-saver on occasion though.

I....MUST know what book these variants are from (idk what UA refers to...).

Flickerdart
2011-07-20, 09:38 PM
I....MUST know what book these variants are from (idk what UA refers to...).
Unearthed Arcana. Available for free as part of the SRD, just click that link.

JackRackham
2011-07-20, 10:05 PM
Unearthed Arcana. Available for free as part of the SRD, just click that link.

Thank you...what about the other one (sneak attack)?

Flickerdart
2011-07-20, 10:06 PM
Same thing (same page, even). Way down at the bottom.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 10:08 PM
Thank you...what about the other one (sneak attack)?

Go further down the page, listed there are the "other class variants".

Edit: swordsage'd!

Petrocorus
2011-07-20, 10:17 PM
UA also has an Urban Ranger variant that can be useful, but of course, no heavy armor.

Zonugal
2011-07-20, 10:19 PM
Avenging Executioner (Complete Scoundrel) is always an option for a fighter.

Xavrias
2011-07-21, 02:32 AM
Just as an idea, when you make your fighter see if you can grab the Throw Anything feat from the complete warrior. A Fighter who can pick any weapon off the ground and fling at your opponent. Also, for prestige classes I'dsuggest thief acrobat, street fighter, or spymaster. Although some are more geared towards rogues.