PDA

View Full Version : Crafting questions

CommodoreCrunch
2011-07-20, 10:45 PM
So in my current campaign I want to take some Artificer levels to get some nice crafting going on. However, some of the crafting rules have confused me. For example, the DMG cites that a wondrous item that give a competence bonus to a skill costs [Bonus squared]*100gp, and references the Cloak of Elvenkind as an example of an item that gives such a skill bonus.

Upon investigating the Cloak, I notice that it also requires Invisibility during the creation. Nowhere have I been able to find rules that specify what spells, skill or any other requirements would be necessary to create a skill-boosting item.

I'm sure this isn't the only issue I'll run into, so I was wondering if there's any comprehensive compendium of crafting, or anything in general that gives a god rundown of this stuff.

Rei_Jin
2011-07-20, 10:51 PM
I don't know about a comprehensive list, but if you go over the DMG and the MIC, just about everything you could want to make exists already or there is something similar to it. If it already exists, you normally have to follow the recipe that's already there.

For example, by the standard rules, if you want to make a ring that gives +10 to Swim, you need to have 10 ranks in Swim. It would follow then, that you could make a ring of any skill boost, if you have the same number of skill points as a base that you're trying to put in a ring (10 ranks in UMD for a +10 UMD ring, 5 ranks in Hide for a +5 Hide ring, etc). That's the easiest way to adjudicating what is required for creating skill boosts, although a DM may ask you to cast a spell that has a similar function to the skill you want to boost (Invisibility for Hide, Silence for Move Silently, etc).

At the back of the MIC there's a list for adding bonuses of certain types to items, what item slots they can go in, what spells are required, etc. Refer to that where possible as well.

Jeraa
2011-07-20, 11:58 PM
Upon investigating the Cloak, I notice that it also requires Invisibility during the creation. Nowhere have I been able to find rules that specify what spells, skill or any other requirements would be necessary to create a skill-boosting item.

For spells required, there isn't a list. Obviously, a custom made staff, scroll, wand, or potion will need the spell it is trying to duplicate, as they are actually casting that spell. You need the Fireball spell to make a Wand of Fireball. But for other items, since the DM has final say on all custom items, he is free to choose any spells that could be involved, if any at all. Just use a little sense.

An item that boosts craft? Could use the Mending cantrip, Minor Creation, Major Creation, Fabricate, or any other spell that makes/repairs an item. An item that gives bonuses on Open Lock could require Knock. Something that boosts Use Rope checks could need Animate Rope.

Skill requirements are only needed on items that boost that skill. Usually, you need as many skill ranks as the bonus you are putting into the item. So, something that boosts a skill by 5 points, you need 5 ranks in that skill.

Socratov
2011-07-21, 10:06 AM
that's why, play warlock, at lvl 12 he can make anything, he just needs to make a spellcraft check for the spell to craft onto an item, and he's done.

Re'ozul
2011-07-21, 10:30 AM
that's why, play warlock, at lvl 12 he can make anything, he just needs to make a spellcraft check for the spell to craft onto an item, and he's done.

Well, he also needs the appropriate item creation feat.