PDA

View Full Version : Playing an undead cleric/wild mage

Gabe the Bard
2011-07-20, 11:00 PM
My group started an AD&D game in a homebrewed post-apocalyptic setting (think Nausicaa + Biohazard), with me as a multiclass cleric/wild mage. In this setting, wild mages can be multiclass, and there are special undead zombies and skeletons that are playable races, so I'm a skeleton cleric/wild mage. The trick is, whenever I try to turn undead, I'm affected by my own turning, so I get to make a save vs. breath weapon.

In our first run-in with a zombie horde (about 30 zombies and 5 of us at 1st level), the very first thing I do is turn undead. I crit on the turning roll and sent a bunch of zombies running, and miraculously made the saving throw to survive my own turning.

Then, for some reason, all the zombies ignored my living companions and came straight after me. So, I use Nahal's Reckless Dweomer, which is the only spell I have memorized (...twice), to cast an illusion of myself running in the other direction. The illusion goes off with an extended duration, and the subsequent wild surge explodes into a mass heal around me, killing a couple more zombies. The rest are either chasing after the illusion or being picked off by my companions.

I kept using Nahal's Reckless Dweomer for the rest of the session, and each time the wild surge was miraculously helpful and appropriate to the situation - turning me invisible when a caster was aiming magic missiles at me, polymorphing a huge undead abomination into a cat. The DM is using his own custom surge table, and it makes me wonder if he was fudging the dice. Even if he was, I wasn't complaining. It was fun having people think I was an archmage at first level. I'll be sad when I finally wild surge myself into oblivion, or summon the angry balor that's somewhere on that wild surge table.