PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate Content Question (Violence)

M@XWeru
2011-07-20, 11:31 PM
I've got a little comic running down there on the forum, that I occasionally make little doodles for. I just made another, but as I was about to post it I remembered the part of the board rules that marks graphic violence as forbidden. Rather than risk an infraction, I thought I'd ask:

There's plenty of violence both in OoTS and in most (if not all) of the fan comics, as well as criminal acts and other things that could technically be considered breaking the rules - therefore, there must be a degree of tolerance. Whether this prohibition extends only to actual discussion of graphic violence, non-cartoon depictions of it or to a certain level of gore, I don't know. Any chance anyone could enlighten me?

I can't post or describe the actual image here, obviously. :P

Rockphed
2011-07-21, 12:38 AM
For specific instances where you are unsure if you are breaking a rule, PMing a mod is usually both faster and more likely to get specific guidance. Also, the general guideline is that when in doubt, don't.

Then again, I would also like to have that rule elucidated, so if you do PM a mod and they give you general guidelines, please repost them here.

Mando Knight
2011-07-21, 01:10 AM
The general rule of thumb is that the board is roughly PG-13. If the violence is drastic enough that it'd bump a movie up to an R rating, it's too much.

Thus, standard "cartoon violence" like is shown in OOTS (with the sparing use of more drastic injuries, mostly as emphasis) should be OK, but frequent graphic descriptions of organs being destroyed or whatever wouldn't be. If it starts to look like God of War's cutscenes or the anatomy-zoom-type deals from shows like House and CSI, you're most likely out of line.

Occasional Sage
2011-07-21, 02:01 PM
The general rule of thumb is that the board is roughly PG-13. If the violence is drastic enough that it'd bump a movie up to an R rating, it's too much.

Thus, standard "cartoon violence" like is shown in OOTS (with the sparing use of more drastic injuries, mostly as emphasis) should be OK, but frequent graphic descriptions of organs being destroyed or whatever wouldn't be. If it starts to look like God of War's cutscenes or the anatomy-zoom-type deals from shows like House and CSI, you're most likely out of line.

All of that being said, as always: err of the side of caution.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-07-21, 02:24 PM
Also: Using the comic as an example isn't a great idea. I'm pretty sure the board rules do not apply to the comics.

Zeta Kai
2011-07-21, 02:53 PM
Also: Using the comic as an example isn't a great idea. I'm pretty sure the board rules do not apply to the comics.

For example, the comic occasionally uses language that would not be allowed in the forum. Similarly, depictions of bisections, disembowelment, & decapitations would likely be verboten, depending on their level of realism. The mod rule-of-thumb is this: When in doubt, don't post.

M@XWeru
2011-07-21, 02:58 PM
"The comic" and "the comics" are two very different things, and I am referring to "the comics", that is to say fan comics. The rules have the following to say:

Merlin:
"We ask that all fan comic threads follow the same rules for content to which the rest of this message board adheres—even in the comic itself."

Roland St. Jude
2011-07-21, 03:32 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I'm not sure specific details could be articulated to adequate describe every possible case. The forum is roughly PG-13, though that standard is for moving pictures, which allows for fleeting references. It has also changed considerably over the years. The OotS comic itself provides some reference, but again, as noted it is not governed by the Forum Rules and sometimes goes farther than the rules would allow. Finally, what the other fancomics do is a good reference, but not perfect. Sometimes violations go unreported for long periods of time, but that doesn't mean they aren't violations.

There are other discussions of fictionalized crime and violence in the Board Issues threads that may delve further into the issue.

Your best bet is to review the appropriate Forum Rules and do your best to keep it appropriate, erring on the side of caution. If you have doubts, don't post it here. If you have doubts about whether an entire comic is inappropriate consider posting the entire thing elsewhere. You can always PM a moderator for further guidance, but we're not able to pre-approve everything.