PDA

View Full Version : On a matter of size and strength.

warforged510
2011-07-21, 12:46 AM
I have a few questions on how size-changing effects affect Powerful Build and the bonuses and penalties for being large. I'm building a Goliath (slightly-modified; "Giant" instead of "Monstrous Humanoid") Barbarian 2/Rage Cleric 18. I'll be using LA Buyoff from Unearthed Arcana.

My first question is when I cast Righteous Might on myself, would my Powerful Build make it so I counted as Huge (wield Huge weapons) instead of Large? And when I get a Miracle Giant Size and eventually get Colossal would I be treated as Colossal Plus?

My second question is that large sized creatures get a -1 on attack rolls and AC. However, the rules for mounted combat say that if your mount is one or more size categories larger than your opponent are you are taller than your opponent, you get a +1 on attack rolls. So shouldn't a Large or larger creature get a +1 bonus on attack rolls for being taller, therefore negating the penalty for being large and lessening the penalty for being even bigger?

Also would Divine Power (spell), Righteous Might (spell), Giant Size (spell) and Rage (extraordinary ability), Belt of Giant Strength and Gauntlets of Ogre Power all stack? I'm pretty sure the Belt and the Gauntlets don't stack because they are both enhancement bonuses.

Groverfield
2011-07-21, 01:48 AM
Enhancement bonuses don't stack, ever, and pre-epic it only goes to +6. Size bonuses to STR do stack, however you usually can't get more than one size alteration spell to work at once.

Talya
2011-07-21, 06:53 AM
My first question is when I cast Righteous Might on myself, would my Powerful Build make it so I counted as Huge (wield Huge weapons) instead of Large? And when I get a Miracle Giant Size and eventually get Colossal would I be treated as Colossal Plus?

Since these weren't answered:

Yes, Powerful Build continues to boost you to be considered one size category larger than you actually are for certain purposes even if you magically grow in size. I am not familiar, however, if there is an official size category larger than colossal, so I'm not sure if it counts on the last one.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-21, 09:43 AM
I am not familiar, however, if there is an official size category larger than colossal, so I'm not sure if it counts on the last one.

There is, in one of the dragon books. Its called colossal+, like warforged said :smalltongue:

Metahuman1
2011-07-21, 01:30 PM
Belt of Giant Strength, Righteous Might, Divine power and Rage Stack. Righteous might and Giant sized don't stack, but would overlap. (so you'd still get the DR form righteous might, just not the extra STR or CON. You'd instead use the higher STR and CON form being Colossal. ) That said, being Colossal, Divine power, Rage, and Belt of Giant strenght would also stack.

warforged510
2011-07-23, 12:03 AM
Thank you all for answering my questions. But now, I must smash things FOR THE GLORY OF KORD!:furious:

tyckspoon
2011-07-23, 01:25 AM
That said, being Colossal, Divine power, Rage, and Belt of Giant strenght would also stack.

Slightly misleading- Divine Power gives an Enhancement to Strength, and that aspect won't stack with the Belt. The temp HP and BAB change will work as normal.