PDA

View Full Version : Spell Resistance on Conjured creatures

Username_too_lo
2011-07-21, 05:10 AM
In the writeup for Stony Grasp (And it's cellar-dwelling runt of a brother Earthen Grasp) it states that Spell Resistance applies.

How does this work? It's not an effect against the individual, per se. You're just making a dirty great fist which likes to crush things.

And does this mean that each grapple attach has to penetrate SR, or just that anything summoned on the same square as the SRed creature has to penetrate their SR to work - what if it's 5ft away? What if it's 10ft away?

Aergoth
2011-07-21, 08:31 AM
I direct you to: Storm of Vengeance, from the PHB/SRD

Storm of Vengeance
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Drd 9, Clr 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: 360-ft.-radius storm cloud
Duration: Concentration (maximum 10 rounds) (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

With conjuration spells, it really seems to depend on what the spell is doing. A conjuration spell, for instance, or its effect, may continue to work in an antimagic field, because the cause (the spell) not the effect (a wall of iron) is magical. Summoning spells are conjuration but spell resistance doesn't usually apply, as in Summon Monster.

Stinking Cloud is a Conjuration (Creation) spell, like the orb series, and spell resistance doesn't tend to apply to those either.

You didn't mention what sourcebook you were using, but in the spell compendium, Stony Grasp is listed as a transmutation spell, not a conjuration. So you're not summoning a creature in that case, just making the earth change shape under magical command. Hence why spell resistance works. The effect (a great big arm) is magical.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-07-21, 08:41 AM
And does this mean that each grapple attach has to penetrate SR, or just that anything summoned on the same square as the SRed creature has to penetrate their SR to work - what if it's 5ft away? What if it's 10ft away?

I don't think there's any specific guidance for stony grasp, but the way it works for similar create-a-weapon spells like Mordenkainen's sword is that you check SR once when you first attack a creature with SR, and if it resists the spell is dispelled, otherwise it works normally. Those are Evocations, though, and that rule isn't universally applied, so really it's up to the DM.

Username_too_lo
2011-07-21, 08:42 AM
I think I get it now (Answered in the RAW thread)

Basically, the Spell Resistance determines whether the conjured creature RECOGNISES the target as a viable one. It doesn't apply to summoned animals, because SR would effectively become invisibility+, but for magical creations without senses (such as a big stony hand, or a vengeful storm), the SR determines whether the creature can be perceived as a viable target. Although that IS a weird one - I'd probably rule that only rounds 1 and 3 provoke SR, as it is a real storm being summoned and acid splash and hailstones are both area effects.