PDA

View Full Version : What would a campaign setting using RAW actually look like?

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-21, 10:10 AM
After reading the World-Building board's guidelines, I think that this is the more appropriate place for this thread.

Anyway. Taking the PCs and (sane) DMs out of the picture for a second, what would a 3.5 world, where all the shennaniganry possible in regular D&D was allowed in this world, actually look and feel like? A world where there is nothing stopping wish/gate and polymorph abuse, instantaneous horse travel, deadly housecats, and so on. Where people really do go from "n00b" to "demigod" in just 260 encounters or so.

For the sake of argument, let's just stick to Core (PHB, DMG, MMI) and...oh, let's say that for whatever reason, Epic Level isn't achievable. Otherwise we've got your typical Prime Material Plane, your Great Wheel setup, your default pantheon, etc.

Would a typical fantasy setting be maintainable, or more likely, would the world just become a battleground between wizards and druids and clerics? Would the setting start to resemble Dark Sun?

And so on.

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-21, 10:21 AM
Try searching for the Tippyverse, as you're getting real close to those grounds. If I recall correctly, infinite-repeating traps of create food and water keeps the masses fed, while high-level wizards police everyone and their thoughts to prevent someone from messing with the order.

sonofzeal
2011-07-21, 10:37 AM
Tippyverse really needs to be formalized into a campaign setting, I've not seen that done. Last I've heard, it was just scrounged together from a series of posts by Emperor Tippy, but there's no centralized location to look at.

subject42
2011-07-21, 10:43 AM
Tippyverse really needs to be formalized into a campaign setting, I've not seen that done. Last I've heard, it was just scrounged together from a series of posts by Emperor Tippy, but there's no centralized location to look at.

Didn't somebody run a Tippyverse campaign?

I vaguely remember one of the players being a planar shepherd bent on unleashing the FAR REALM on the Tippyverse, because perfect alien madness beat the alternative.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-21, 10:50 AM
I would not. There is too many sillinesses and inconstancies in the rules as written for me to enjoy this as any but the most short-lived campaign.
A world where everyone waited their turn to fight deadly enemies?
Where undead thrived in the planes of the very energy that kills them?
Where healers kept buckets of water for the most desperate cases?
No, no I don't think I would enjoy such a world.

subject42
2011-07-21, 10:58 AM
Where healers kept buckets of water for the most desperate cases?

Have you ever read anything by Jim Butcher? In his Codex Alera books, the healers do keep buckets of water for the most desperate cases.

Given that he put his name on an RPG a while back, I wonder if he had that in mind.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-21, 11:08 AM
Have you ever read anything by Jim Butcher? In his Codex Alera books, the healers do keep buckets of water for the most desperate cases.

Given that he put his name on an RPG a while back, I wonder if he had that in mind.
You got to be kidding me, an actual fantasy novel uses bucket healing? I.e. using the wonky drowning rules to reset negative hit points?

subject42
2011-07-21, 11:09 AM
You got to be kidding me, an actual fantasy novel uses bucket healing? I.e. using the wonky drowning rules to reset negative hit points?

Technically the characters use elemental magic to heal, and it's easier when the subject is submerged. It's just a funny coincidence.

Comet
2011-07-21, 11:11 AM
I.e. using the wonky drowning rules to reset negative hit points?

Probably not. Haven't read Codex Alera, though, but I'd think it's more along the lines of water having healing properties or something. Anyone feel free to correct me, I'm feeling curious about this.
EDIT: I see I was too slow. Thanks for the explanation!

As for a campaign setting using RAW, well, it works as the kind of joke that gets passed around on forums and such for a quick laugh but it wouldn't make for much of a story in my opinion.
If such a world were to exist, though, everything would pretty much die. Too much power in one place.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-21, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty sure Tippy actually wrote a full campaign setting for his Verse, though he never published it or shared it with anyone.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-21, 11:20 AM
Technically the characters use elemental magic to heal, and it's easier when the subject is submerged. It's just a funny coincidence.
OK then, that's actually kind of cool.
Other RAW implications?
Ecosystems would be screwed up. A trip through the Monster Manual shows far more predators than prey and statistics for plants are far and few between.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-21, 11:23 AM
As for a campaign setting using RAW, well, it works as the kind of joke that gets passed around on forums and such for a quick laugh but it wouldn't make for much of a story in my opinion.

I remember at least one game recruiting on these forums that took place in the Tippyverse; I can't remember the concept anymore, but I distinctly remember it sounding fun and heavily considering joining.

subject42
2011-07-21, 12:08 PM
Ecosystems would be screwed up. A trip through the Monster Manual shows far more predators than prey and statistics for plants are far and few between.

Remember that most plants that we think of as plants aren't plants in D&D, they're objects. Plants form a creature type, like Shambling Mounts and the Tendriculos. Most people would be harvesting objects every Fall, rather than plants (unless they're Australian).

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-21, 01:06 PM

Conservation of detail; most of the prey isn't stuff that will matter for PCs, so they didn't bother publishing most of it.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-21, 01:32 PM
Conservation of detail; most of the prey isn't stuff that will matter for PCs, so they didn't bother publishing most of it.
Yes, that is exactly why. But if you are running a setting by RAW, well, they just don't exist.

subject42
2011-07-21, 02:00 PM
Yes, that is exactly why. But if you are running a setting by RAW, well, they just don't exist.

In a way, some of them do. If you look at the description for the bison, for example, it says this:

The bison’s statistics can be used for almost any large herd animal.

That means that by RAW, any large herd animal that does not have printed statistics defaults to "bison".

Cows? Bison.
Water Buffalo? Bison in evening wear.
Springbok? Might be medium, but if it's large, Bison.

The end result is that by RAW, there are actually an infinite number of prey species, but they all taste like Bison.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-21, 02:19 PM
The end result is that by RAW, there are actually an infinite number of prey species, but they all taste like Bison.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yN1zeEk5JFk/TF0E4NtDI8I/AAAAAAAAABg/ocox_VGkPrY/s400/BisonOfCourse.jpg
But for me, it was Teusday.

Bob the DM
2011-07-21, 02:37 PM
RAW as written ASSUMES sane dm'ing. It says so in the description of "free actions". Most of the issues that arrise from "broken" powers is that it removes the assumtion of sane dming. Chaingating and the like assumes that villains are stupid. Why would a powerfull wizard villain not attempt to get rid of the pc's before enacting their plot. Making a deal with a pit-fiend or just casting wish with the simple request that the wizard didn't memorize "gate" today, or just have the wizard sleep in an hour and attack at breakfast. RAw with intelligent dming is a great system.

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-21, 03:04 PM
And, if Buffalo Wings have taught me anything, that also implies that they all taste like chicken. :smallbiggrin:

mootoall
2011-07-21, 03:19 PM
In a campaign setting ruled by RAW? Pun-Pun has ascended, the Erudite Concierto has been played, and infinite armies of solars fall victim to the Twice-Betrayer of Shar. Everyone is an undead Tainted Scholar, so reproduction doesn't actually have to happen. Eventually, combat devolves to comparing lists of Contingencies and coming to a gentlemen's agreement on who won based on who was more paranoid. They sacrifice whatever resources their opponent wants, and continue on their merry way.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-21, 04:48 PM
In a campaign setting ruled by RAW? Pun-Pun has ascended, the Erudite Concierto has been played, and infinite armies of solars fall victim to the Twice-Betrayer of Shar. Everyone is an undead Tainted Scholar, so reproduction doesn't actually have to happen.

Uh, notice I did qualify "let's assume Core only."

So no Pun-pun, no Erudites, and no Twice-Betrayers of Shar, no Tainted Scholars.

There are Contingencies and solars, though.