PDA

View Full Version : The Green Lion Idol IC

Pages : [1] 2 3

SleepyBadger
2011-07-21, 10:17 AM
OoC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11465280#post11465280)
Old IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206680)

The High Forest in the northwest of Faerun is rumored to hold ancient secrets, waiting for bold adventurers to discover them. The region stands as a memento of the old days, when the whole of Faerun was covered in green and dragons ruled the world, elves following in their shadow. However, this gigantic forest is now home to many races who do not welcome travelers; even some dragons are known to dwell here still, resting in their lairs deep in the woods. Druids and other devoted followers of the gods of nature, Silvanus, Mielikki or Lurue often make pilgrimages to the fabled Grandfather Tree, hoping to see a sign of benevolence from their deity in the form of a sacred unicorn.
Just south of the Star Mountains, near the Endless Caverns, at the banks of the river Unicorn Run lies the village of Anvil. Many travelers would make a stop here as the sage Myrannos, once an apprentice of the famous Alaundo lives here; the village is also known for its hospitalities and remarkable tolerance: many races have been dwelling here together in peace for long years. According to some rumors and bardic tales this is partially due to the power of the mysterious artifact, the Green Lion Idol, which is hidden in a cave near Anvil, guarded by its keeper, a creature of immense power. Recently however, skirmishes broke out between the elves and the humans of the community, followed by a battle of the orcs and goblins. Drow troops crawled to the surface from the Endless Caverns, even the treants started stirring in the woods. The smell of chaos hung heavily in the air…

SleepyBadger
2011-07-21, 10:25 AM
And the battle continues...

Bjorn takes a huge swing at the goblin in front of him. Old leaves and chunks of dirt fly off in every direction, but the goblin swiftly steps aside.
Bei'ra lets loose an arrow from her bow. The arrow sizzles past the goblin's ear, missing narrowly.
The goblin fighting Bjorn attacks with his morningstar and scores a hit (-2 HP). One of the goblins throws his javelin at Mirala and damages her. Another takes a swing at Balin, but Balin avoids the attack.
Talehos bashes a goblin with his shield and sends another of the little pesky beasts into oblivion.
Mirala backpedals and manages to evade her attacker once again. She moves over to Talehos and chants her healing spell.
Balin steps forward to attack the goblin but misses. The goblin giggles wickedly.

OoC: Round #4
Initiative order:

Bjorn: 17
Bei'ra: 16
Goblins: 14
Talehos: 5
Balin: 5
Mirala: 3
(Please post in any order.)
Map:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/goblin_battle.jpg
Legend: your characters are represented with your speech colors. Note that the dark green areas are thickly forested tiles and so provide 20% concealment against ranged attacks. It's also not possible to make a charge through these tiles.

Active conditions (hope I didn't miss too much...):

Inspire courage: +1 to attack +1 to weapon damage (and fear saves) for all party members for 5 rounds Fast Healing 1 for Bei'ra for 9 more rounds (currently at 5 HP).
Fast Healing 1 for Talehos for 10 more rounds (currently at 2 HP).
Bjorn is at 11 HP.
Balin is uninjured, is that correct?
Also could you please record your current HP on your character sheets for easier reference?

planswalker
2011-07-21, 11:17 AM
on his turn, he'll be at 3 hp.

Talehos will take a step back to E7 and fire a shot with his bow for [roll0] [roll1].

should the shot miss [roll2] on a 51-100, the arrow is recoverable.

Dragon Star
2011-07-21, 03:38 PM
Balin slices at the goblin next to him.

[roll0]
[roll1]
And yes, he is uninjured. If that changes I'll put it in the "Other Notes" section of my sheet.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-22, 07:14 AM
Depending on where I come in at, Germain will look for the most injured non-goblin to offer healing to.

Initiative
[roll0]

SleepyBadger
2011-07-22, 11:13 AM
Bjorn stops in his tracks, he suddenly seems to be listening to some enthralling melody only he can hear.
Bei'ra readies another arrow and shoots at the goblin fighting Mirala. The arrow stops quivering in a tree branch.
Bjorn's goblin misses, though Bjorn is seemingly not paying attention to the battle at all. Mirala's goblin draws its morningstar and swings but the cleric avoids the blow. The third monster manages to get past Balin's defenses and damages him by 3 HP.
Talehos draws his bow and fires at Mirala's goblin. The creature stumbles backwards, apparently knocked out.
Germain
Germain hears the sound of battle ahead and decides to move along cautiously to investigate. He sees four people (there may be a fifth ducking behind some thick brushes) fighting goblins. All four of them seem a bit battered, they might indeed need healing.
Mirala finishes off her unconscious attacker with her morningstar.
Balin slices at his foe again but still to no avail.

OoC: Round #5
Initiative order:

Germain: 5
Map:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/goblin_battle5.jpg
Legend: your characters are represented with your speech colors. Note that the dark green areas are thickly forested tiles and so provide 20% concealment against ranged attacks. It's also not possible to make a charge through these tiles.

Active conditions:

Inspire courage: +1 to attack +1 to weapon damage (and fear saves) for all party members for 4 rounds
Fast Healing 1 for Bei'ra for 8 more rounds (currently at 6 HP).
Fast Healing 1 for Talehos for 9 more rounds (currently at 3 HP).
Bjorn is at 11 HP.
Balin is at 4 HP.
Germain is uninjured.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-22, 11:58 AM
Move to G7 for CLW on Talehos.

CLW Healing
[roll0]

planswalker
2011-07-22, 12:00 PM
Talehos will fire at the goblin in G9. or whichever goblin is closest and still up when it's his turn.

[roll0] for [roll1]

possible crit confirm: [roll2] for [roll3]

[roll4] if I should miss, 51-100 the arrow is recoverable.

on his turn, Talehos will be at 4 hp barring healing and/or further damage.

Dragon Star
2011-07-22, 03:22 PM
Balin slashes at the goblin (G9) again, and yells "Gaa! I'm bleeding! Help!"
Then he moves out of the goblins reach (5 foot step to G11).
[roll0]
[roll1]

SleepyBadger
2011-07-22, 05:56 PM
Bjorn starts humming to himself.
Bei'ra steps closer, fires another missile at the creature fighting Balin, but drops her bow in the process. She bends down to recover it, cursing softly.
Bjorn's goblin misses badly. It seems annoyed with Bjorn's humming. The other goblin swings its morningstar at Balin and scores another hit.
OOC: Balin loses another 3 HP.
Talehos shoots an arrow at the murderous goblin. The arrow sizzles harmlessly past it.
OOC: Talehos needs to attack with a -4 penalty if he doesn't want to risk injuring Balin.
Germain steps up to Talehos and invokes his healing spell.
OOC: Talehos heals 5 HP.
Balin takes a swing and cuts a deep gash on the goblin's arm, before backing away.
Mirala moves past Talehos to kill the creature, but gets no luck with her attack.

OoC: Round #6
Initiative order:

Map:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/goblin_battle6-1.jpg

Active conditions:

Inspire courage: +1 to attack +1 to weapon damage (and fear saves) for all party members for 3 rounds (except Germain, as he didn't hear the song)
Fast Healing 1 for Bei'ra for 7 more rounds (currently at 6 HP).
Fast Healing 1 for Talehos for 8 more rounds (currently at 9 HP).
OOC: Question: why would he be barred from healing after reaching 4 HP?
Bjorn is at 11 HP.
Balin is at 1 HP.
Germain is uninjured.

planswalker
2011-07-22, 06:46 PM
Having recovered quite sufficiently, Talehos will put his bow away and move to F10, drawing out his weapon at the same time. Talehos' ac for that AoO he provokes is 18.

on his turn, hp is 10. spiked shield is a weapon. Drawing a weapon is a move action. With a +1 bab, you can draw a weapon while moving as a single action.

also, hoping to set up a flanking possibility for folks. also hoping to draw his AoO. He's likely to miss, and I can afford to take a hit.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-22, 09:15 PM
Germain draws his scimitar and Shield.

BinaryMage
2011-07-23, 09:14 PM
Bei'ra picks up her bow, resolving to train more in the art of archery, and looses yet another arrow at the closest goblin.

Just FYI, I don't have a crossbow. :smallbiggrin:
No move, std. action to shoot arrow at goblin in G9, including -4 attack penalty for shooting into melee
Attack: [roll0]
Damage; [roll1]

SleepyBadger
2011-07-24, 01:28 AM
Bjorn's humming turns into a dwarven tavern song. He reels back and staggers along the trail leading to Secomber.
Bei'ra's next missile goes right through the goblin's neck. It stumbles back, falling to the ground.
Seeing the defeat of all his comrades, the last goblin tries to sneak away in the thick foliage.
DC 14 to spot or DC 13 to hear it.
Talehos readies his shield and moves towards the trees he'd seen the goblin disappear behind.
I assumed he would as the goblin he wanted to flank is dead.
Germain prepares for battle and draws his scimitar.
Balin, not being quite sure what to do, wounded as he is, stays motionless at the edge of the woods.
Seeing no more goblins around, Mirala turns to the others. "Well, lucky you came along to save the day", she says. "Always nice to fight alongside such formidable people. It's time for me to say goodbye though, I have a celebration to prepare in Secomber." She nods gratefully, before following the drunken dwarf on his way.

OoC: Round #7
Initiative order:

Goblin: 14
Map:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/goblin_battle7.jpg

Active conditions:

Inspire courage: +1 to attack +1 to weapon damage (and fear saves) for all party members for 2 rounds (except Germain, as he didn't hear the song)
Fast Healing 1 for Bei'ra for 6 more rounds (currently at 6 HP).
Fast Healing 1 for Talehos for 7 more rounds (currently at 10 HP).
Balin is at 1 HP.
Germain is uninjured.

BinaryMage
2011-07-24, 10:11 AM
Bei'ra listens acutely and peers around, looking for the missing goblin.
She then looses an arrow at its location to the best she can determine.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Attack: [roll2]
Miss Chance (1-20 misses) [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

planswalker
2011-07-24, 01:42 PM
If the goblin still lives

If the goblin is more than 30 feet away on Talehos' turn and it is possible to run through the trees, Talehos will take a run action to move 60 feet and try to catch up.

If he is between 15 and 30 feet, he will take 2 move actions to catch up, using the first move action to ready his shield as part of normal movement.

If he is 15 feet away or less on Talehos' turn, he will use a move action to close the distance and strap his shield on, and a standard to attack.

If the goblin is dead before he gets there

Talehos will return to the group to participate in the discussion that will inevitably ensue.

possible rolls:
[roll0]

[roll1]

crit confirm:
[roll2]

[roll3]

Dragon Star
2011-07-24, 02:46 PM
Balin moves towards the cleric, and says, "Will your god take pity on me? I prefer myself without holes."

SleepyBadger
2011-07-25, 02:24 AM
Bei'ra's keen elven eyes spot the last goblin behind the trees. She takes careful aim and fires. The monster staggers, clutching its thigh.
The goblin tries to hide between two thick bushes, but steps on a twig with his wounded leg, so Talehos has no trouble localizing it. He takes a swing with his shield, knocking it out.
Balin hurries after Mirala, asking her for help.
"Unfortunately I used up all my potent healing spells for the day", Mirala explains. "But I may have some orisons left." She puts her hand on Balin's shoulder, her palm glowing with healing energy.
Balin heals 3 HP in total.
"May Mystra guide your steps", she says before continuing along the Secomber trail.
Balin walks back to the others who are already gathering in the middle of the road fork. You see motionless goblins scattered around, four of them dead, two others dying fast.
Please record 150 XP each for defeating the goblins.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-25, 05:52 AM
"So, what may I ask brings you all to such a junction in the forest?" Germaine asks the group as they look around at each other.

BinaryMage
2011-07-25, 11:29 AM
"Before we were accosted by these brutes, I was merely on my way to the town of Anvil, reputably an easy place to find some adventure. I am looking to expand my knowledge and broaden my horizons. And if I may ask, sir, what brings you here?" speaks Bei'ra, in a confident but slightly quavery voice.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-25, 12:09 PM
"I always travel these woods, it is kind of my thing," Germaine says frankly. "I know that they have dangers but I very solemnly see so many goblins attacking at once."

planswalker
2011-07-25, 12:25 PM
"I'm just ranging around the countryside looking to end evil and bring a little kindness to the world. You'd think the forces of evil would leave an unarmed man half their size alone out of pity. I bet it's the golden scales. People always seem to think they're valuable. Only to me in keeping my ribs knife-free."

BinaryMage
2011-07-25, 12:53 PM
Bei'ra replies, "One would think so, but considering the unprovoked attack we just experienced, I think evil may be less considerate than any of us could have imagined. Let us proceed towards Anvil; this place seems to have a palpable aura of evil. I do not think it a good idea to linger."

planswalker
2011-07-25, 01:02 PM
"Indeed. Shall we perchance travel together?"

stanleyindraven
2011-07-25, 01:06 PM
"I could travel with you if you'd like, I am unable to offer much for healing, but can still fight," Germaine offers.

planswalker
2011-07-25, 01:10 PM
"Well, our happy little healer has done a number on me already. I'm as fit as I was before the fight. Useful things to have, healers."

BinaryMage
2011-07-25, 01:13 PM
"I shall accept your offer, as I have no golden armor to protect me nor a sword with which to defend myself. I can offer my skill in the ancient art of magic, which I assure you will be most useful."

Dragon Star
2011-07-25, 01:15 PM
"I am Balin Silvertongue I would appreciate traveling companions. Singers do not make for good fighters. However, I do have the power of music, to make you fiercer, and to stupefy the enemy. And I can convince almost anyone of almost anything."

planswalker
2011-07-25, 01:33 PM
"Really? Convince me that I'm a werewolf." Talehos says with a grin.

Dragon Star
2011-07-25, 03:21 PM
Bluff check

[roll0]

planswalker
2011-07-25, 03:26 PM
sense motive: [roll0]

"Aha! Nice try, but I know better than that!"

Dragon Star
2011-07-25, 03:53 PM
"Ah well. I can never resist a challenge."

BinaryMage
2011-07-25, 03:55 PM
Bei'ra clears her throat and speaks, "Now that we have determined Talehos is not a werewolf, can we please proceed to vacate this place? I do not wish to be attacked again."

planswalker
2011-07-25, 04:06 PM
"Indeed, that was very rude of them." Unless someone physically restrains the halfling from doing so, Talehos will proceed to walk towards town.

BinaryMage
2011-07-25, 04:08 PM
Bei'ra looks nervously around her for any other signs of danger and then proceeds to follow Talehos.

Spot: [roll0]

SleepyBadger
2011-07-25, 04:40 PM
You continue your way along the North Road towards Anvil. As it will take about two days to reach the village, you decide to set off immediately. It's the month of Mirtul, late Spring, so it's comfortably warm in the noonday sun.
Bei'ra
You can see nothing suspicious at the moment. However, the forest feels strange to you, it almost sends shivers down your spine, but you cannot determine why.
Balin and Germain
You both know of a trail only a few hours away along the road which leads to the inn called the Five Happy Trolls. The inn is famous for its beverages, especially for its Dwarven and Elven specialities.

Dragon Star
2011-07-25, 05:01 PM
While walking, Balin says, "I left Anvil after a rather cruel barbarian got angry at a little joke of mine. I left all of my possessions in my haste. Would you fine fellows help me get them back? "

planswalker
2011-07-25, 05:16 PM
"Sure."

FILLER

BinaryMage
2011-07-25, 05:45 PM
"Most certainly. But, if I may perchance ask, what is your plan for retrieving your belongings?" questions Bei'ra.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-26, 04:45 AM
While talking you continue along the North Road. You walk past a trail leading to the East. The forest becomes darker and creepier as you go on. You all start feeling ill at ease, all sounds around you seemingly echoing almost malign intentions. You also move through a small patch of dead magic area which makes all of you except for Talehos very uncomfortable.
Twilight descends slowly upon you as you make your way along the road. Soon the shadows of the trees become too long and dark to see the road clearly. Bei'ra moves to lead the way as she can still perceive the trail in the dim starlight. The others stumble along.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-26, 07:14 AM
Germaine looks around at the shadowed forest, "There was a trail to the Five Happy Trolls, its an inn, you could go there if you need a place to sleep. Or we could stop here and stay in the open, and we would need to choose watches."

BinaryMage
2011-07-26, 10:45 AM
"How far to this inn you speak of? This forest unnerves me, the sooner we leave, the better." softly speaks Bei'ra.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-26, 12:02 PM
You passed the trail in question about an hour ago.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-26, 12:16 PM
"Perhaps I should have said something, but we can get there from here," Germaine will try to determine to to get there through the woods without the trail.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-26, 12:50 PM
Germain
You feel something unnatural about the otherwise familiar trees.
OOC: finding the way through the forest will require a survival check (and a light source).

stanleyindraven
2011-07-26, 01:05 PM
Hmm, Germaine will draw a torch and light it, "This way I believe," he says as he walks into the woods.

Survival
[roll0]

BinaryMage
2011-07-26, 01:43 PM
Bei'ra follows, though cautiously.

Dragon Star
2011-07-26, 02:47 PM
Balin picked up some woodcraft while traveling a time ago. He also attempts to discern which way to go.

[roll0]
the plus one is from bardic knack.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-26, 03:23 PM
Germain and Balin lead the way through the thick woods. The wind picks up suddenly, turning the warm afternoon weather into a chilly breeze. It's completely dark now, all you can see are the roots under your feet in Germain's madly flickering torchlight. You move slowly and cautiously, intent on not alerting any being in this strange forest. After having walked an hour or so (being very close to the inn according to Balin's and Germain's estimation) you suddenly notice that the calls of forest animals have stopped. All you can hear now is the wind whistling through the trees.
OOC: Please roll checks: hide, move silently, listen, spot.

planswalker
2011-07-26, 03:37 PM
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3]

stanleyindraven
2011-07-26, 03:38 PM
hide
[roll]1d20+2[/roll
move silently
[roll0]
listen
[roll1]
spot
[roll2]

BinaryMage
2011-07-26, 03:55 PM
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

Dragon Star
2011-07-26, 05:59 PM
Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Spot [roll3]

SleepyBadger
2011-07-27, 02:43 AM
All except Balin perceive the sudden movement above. You see a strange creature hanging from a low branch, a big vermin with two pincers and a long tail with a stinger at the end. It looks completely unfamiliar to all of you. The creature prepares to jump at Germain.
Germain
This creature is not native to the High Forest.
All
OOC: Please roll initiative to act. (Dragon Star, please roll one for Balin too, but he will be surprised in the first round.)

Dragon Star
2011-07-27, 02:47 AM
[roll0]

And doesn't my 25 hide and 22 MS cout for anything? I would hate to waste a natural 20, even I it was on a skill check.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-27, 05:52 AM
initiative
[roll0]

BinaryMage
2011-07-27, 11:42 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

planswalker
2011-07-27, 03:57 PM
[roll0]

here goes something...

SleepyBadger
2011-07-27, 05:24 PM
You prepare quickly for the battle at hand.

OoC: Round #1
Initiative order:

Bei'ra 24
Germain 21
Talehos 13
Balin 5 surprised
Vermin 3
Map:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/scorpion_battle1.jpg
Legend: the dark green areas are thickly forested tiles and so provide 20% concealment against ranged attacks. It's also not possible to make a charge through these tiles.

Active conditions

Talehos uninjured
Bei'ra uninjured
Germain uninjured
Balin: 4 HP

BinaryMage
2011-07-27, 05:46 PM
Bei'ra moves to get a clear shot, then looses an arrow from her shortbow, targeting the creature to the best of her ability.

Move to I-13
Damage: [roll1]

stanleyindraven
2011-07-27, 06:03 PM
Germaine will pull his Scimitar and make an attack

Attack
[roll0] Crit Conf if needed [roll1]
Damage
[roll2]

planswalker
2011-07-27, 07:08 PM
Talehos will walk up and spend 2 move actions to get on the opposite side of the creature from the main party, deliberately provoking the AoO to ensure his party members are safe from it's AoO that round.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-28, 05:37 PM
OoC: Round #2
Bei'ra moves out of the creature's way and fires. The arrow disappears in the deep underbush.
Germain reacts quickly and cuts a deep gash into the creature's flesh.
Talehos moves past the vermin, deliberately taunting it. The creature's pincer snaps after him, missing narrowly. Talehos swings his shield but only manages to beat the air.
Balin stays motionless in the shadows, still wondering what hit them.
The monster's pincer cuts a wound into Germain's arm.
OoC: Germain loses 3 HP.
Initiative order:

Bei'ra 24
Germain 21
Talehos 13
Balin 5
Vermin 3
Map:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/scorpion_battle2.jpg
Legend: the dark green areas are thickly forested tiles and so provide 20% concealment against ranged attacks. It's also not possible to make a charge through these tiles.

Active conditions

Talehos uninjured
Bei'ra uninjured
Germain: 6 HP
Balin: 4 HP

planswalker
2011-07-28, 05:48 PM
Talehos will take a swipe at the beastie with his shield.

[roll0] for [roll1]

forgot who the green square is, but remember that our flanking positions give each of us a +2 to hit against the beastie.

Dragon Star
2011-07-28, 06:06 PM
Balin will stab at it with his shortsword.

[roll0]
[roll1]
I don't get flanking.

BinaryMage
2011-07-28, 06:34 PM
Bei'ra will fire another arrow.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-28, 08:21 PM
Germaine slashes at the creatures hard carapace.

OOC: Im Green
Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 01:59 AM
Bei'ra lets loose an arrow again, which sizzles past the beast.
Germain takes a big swing and opens another wound on the creature's hide.
Talehos' spiked shield connects with the monster's head, which curles up in agony, its tail slashing out blindly for a last attack before succumbing to death.
Please record 75 XP each for defeating the strange vermin.
You stand around the monster's lifeless body wondering how it got here.

planswalker
2011-07-29, 07:20 AM
"What is it today with people being so rude as to harass travelers on their way to places?"

stanleyindraven
2011-07-29, 08:18 AM
"Hmm, that was contemptable," Germaine states frankly as he looks past the insect for the rest of the path he may need to get to the inn.

BinaryMage
2011-07-29, 11:21 AM
"Let us not tarry. The sooner we vacate this forest. the better. We can muse on the cause of these attacks once we are safe at the inn."

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 11:47 AM
You finally move on in the windy night, intent on finding the way through the dark forest. Germain occassionally looks up at the looming trees with unease as if he heard strange sounds from the inhabitants of the forest he grew up in. You suddenly stumble upon a wide trail crossing your path which leads to a clearing. You see a small hut bearing the sign 'Five Happy Trolls'.
The inside of the inn looks cosy, with a mishmash of carved wooden chairs and benches scattered around the fireplace. To Germain and Balin it appears unusually crowded for this time of the year. Several tables are occupied by muscular humans wearing furs and totem animal ornaments; loud, drunken cheering (and booing) errupts as the musician on the small stage finishes his tavern song. Two people clad in black cloaks seem to be in deep conversation in a shady corner. A group of dwarves stand gathered around a big table in another corner, arguing about something in their native tongue. The sole barmaid seems hopelessly exhausted, trying to balance several dishes alongside a few tankards of ale while hurrying towards a group of people clad in fine silk garments.

planswalker
2011-07-29, 01:12 PM
Talehos will rush over to the barmaid and offer to give her a hand. "You seem rather rushed. Can I be of help?"

stanleyindraven
2011-07-29, 01:14 PM
Germaine will look about for the innkeeper.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 01:31 PM
"Well thank you, kind stranger." The barmaid flashes a confused smile at Talehos. "But unless you seek employment as a waiter I doubt that Ozrim would allow you to carry dishes around. Take a seat over there," she nods towards a small table behind the large group of barbarians, "and I will be with you in a minute."
Germain looks around seeking Ozrim's familiar face. The innkeeper, however, is nowhere to be seen. Probably busy in the kitchen or organizing rooms.

planswalker
2011-07-29, 01:38 PM
"I'll speak to the manager right away to see if he'll hire me to help for the night. If he doesn't want to pay, I'll pay him to let me work."

Talehos will head into the kitchens looking for Ozrim, calling out, "Hello? Who does a guy have to speak to in here to help a poor barmaid in a busy shift?"

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 01:57 PM
Talehos walks behind the bar towards the kitchen door, pushing it open. He sees a sturdy, red-faced man look up from a steaming pan at the sound of his voice.
"So you seek employment, little fella?" the innkeeper asks, his lips twitching slightly. "Well that's not an easy task I can tell ya." He points towards three full plates and four mugs of ale. "Can ya carry those out to Rognar's table in one go?" he asks doubtfully.

planswalker
2011-07-29, 02:08 PM
Talehos will carry them out, balancing the plates and mugs.

if you want some sort of check for that, tell me what.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-29, 02:13 PM
Not seeing Ozrim, Germaine will seat himself at the empty table.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 02:16 PM
Talehos grabs the plates and mugs carefully and proceeds to move outside.
OoC: Please roll a dexterity check.
Germain walks over to the table and sits down. Bei'ra and Balin follow suit. The musician on the stage starts singing another song about the Times of Troubles and the fall of the gods.

planswalker
2011-07-29, 02:19 PM
I'll take 10 for a 12 if you let me. if not...

[roll0]

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 02:28 PM
Skillfully balancing the dishes Talehos moves outside and stops at the bar as he doesn't know which table he's supposed to go to.
OoC: The DC is 5.

BinaryMage
2011-07-29, 02:31 PM
Bei'ra sits as inconspicuously as possible near the two cloaked strangers in discussion, and attempts to overhear their conversation.

Listen check:
[roll0]

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 02:38 PM
Bei'ra's keen elven ears fail to overhear the conversation. The two strangers are quite far away.
OoC: She can roll another listen check if she moves closer. In that case please also roll for bluff.

planswalker
2011-07-29, 02:39 PM
"Rognar and co? Give a shout out. You're beer is here!"

[roll0]

adding flair to serving it to them to spin up his noobishness into a positive thing.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 02:44 PM
"Rognar's the one with the horned helmet" Ozrim says to Talehos having followed him out the kitchen. "And if you're serious about wanting a job I can employ you for tonight. Will pay you five silver pieces. And a free supper and a bed."

BinaryMage
2011-07-29, 02:44 PM
Bei'ra attempts to approach the strangers without blowing her cover.

Bluff check: [roll0]
Listen check: [roll1]

planswalker
2011-07-29, 02:47 PM
Talehos will go and deliver the drinks and food, and works the night away, smiling warmly at the barmaid.

He always considers it a good day when he gets to teach rude things manners, help a lady, and get paid for it.

Dragon Star
2011-07-29, 03:05 PM
Balin says to the innkeeper "You mind if I do a performance?No need to pay me, a free meal would be plenty, plus any tips, of course."

If yes, then [roll0]
I hope to gain a few gp out of this.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 03:07 PM
Bei'ra takes a seemingly aimless stroll around the room trying to get as close to the cloaked figures as possble.
"Hey whatsda elf chick doin over there?" A half-drunk brute wearing the symbol of Uthgar suddenly bellows. "Passed ya bout three times, Brodgar! Think she likes ya!" he yells turning to his companion. The one named Brodgar looks up at Bei'ra with sudden interest.
The two black-cloaked strangers freeze amidst the conversation and peer around cautiously. "...tainted the forest according to the plan of..." is all Bei'ra hears before they stop talking.

"Sure, lad, give it a go," Ozrim says as Balin approaches him with his request. "Poor ol' Grimgor needs a rest anyway. Really singing out of tune tonight."
Balin walks up the stage after Grimgor finishes the next song. A sudden nervousness overcomes him as he starts his first ever performance in this place. His voice quivers and dies off after a few tunes.
"Shut yup there!" A barbarian roars, emphasizing his point by throwing his empty plate in Balin's general direction. Balin dodges the plate and stops singing.

"What're you having?" The barmaid steps to Germain, who continues sitting alone at the table.

"Another order ready for the dwarven miners!" Ozrim shouts at Talehos from behind the bar. Talehos takes the foaming tankards to the dwarves in the corner. They seem oblivious to the new drinks, as they're busy peering at some map laid out on their table.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-29, 03:49 PM
"Nothing for me if you don't mind, I'll just wait for Ozrim to be less busy," Germaine replies with a smile. "My companions will have enough work your way shortly."

planswalker
2011-07-29, 04:01 PM
Talehos will sneak a glance at the map while he hands them their drinks.

BinaryMage
2011-07-29, 04:02 PM
"I'll thank you to leave me alone." says Bei'ra to the drunken half-orc with a sharp edge to her voice.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 04:26 PM
Talehos
The map shows a natural cave system with strange runes marking some of the caves.
"Whaddya say, she bites! Like fierce chicks!" The barbarian bellows and tries to grab Bei'ra at the arm. She sidesteps the attempt with ease.

Dragon Star
2011-07-29, 04:35 PM
Balin walks over to Bei'ra, and says to the half-orc, "Carful, friend. She's with the halfling, and he may look small, but he killed three goblins by himself today without a scratch. You don't want to get him angry."

Bluff check
[roll0]

BinaryMage
2011-07-29, 04:39 PM
Bei'ra backs away from the half-orc in a controlled manner.
"Easy now. You don't want to mess with me." she says forcefully.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-29, 04:41 PM
"And I eat goblins for breakfast!" Brodgar boasts loudly. He sneaks a confused glance in the halfling's direction and then returns to his drink.

planswalker
2011-07-29, 04:53 PM
"All I did was teach some ruffians some manners. Without drawing a blade or chanting a spell."

Taking note of the map, he then continues his work.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-29, 09:18 PM
Germaine watches as the rest of his companions dance around starting a bar fight with a look of amusement on his face.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-30, 01:47 AM
Bei'ra and Balin
Bei'ra: Listen: [roll0]; Spot: [roll1]
Balin: Listen: [roll2]; Spot: [roll3]
EDIT: Next time you look at the table the two cloaked figures sat at you notice it's empty. Neither of you saw them walk out. You were probably too busy with the half-orc barbarian.

Talehos continues serving food and drinks. Ozrim and Talsha, the barmaid seem really happy with this solution as it gives Ozrim time to walk around having chats with his guests. Talsha smiles at Talehos every time she sees him.

Germain observers the situation in the inn with amusement.
"You wanted to talk?" Ozrim asks, as he drops his sturdy form in the chair next to him.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-30, 05:51 AM
"Yes, my companions and I would like to stay the night, the forest seems inhabited by strange creatures today and they need safety for sleep," Germaine says to the keeper of the establishment.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-30, 07:08 AM
"Of course", Ozrim replies. "We can find you a hut for the standard price, even if it's a bit crowded here tonight. Did you mention strange creatures in the forest? There has been a lot of talk going on lately..."

BinaryMage
2011-07-30, 11:18 AM
"We would certainly enjoy a room for the night. What sort of talk has been going on lately?"

SleepyBadger
2011-07-30, 04:52 PM
"I'm not familiar with forest beings at all", Ozrim explains to Bei'ra as she returns to the table ", but I heard all kinds of rumors bout people sighting funny creatures moving around, creatures that've never lived around here. One of the travelers actually murmured something about a shark he met here..."
It's getting fairly late and most of the guests are about to go. The drunken barbarian company disappears with loud roars outside in the forest. The dwarves seem to have rented a hut here; they leave the room as well, one of them holding the map scroll in his fist.

BinaryMage
2011-07-30, 05:07 PM
"Well, it's getting late, I'd like to get a room for my companions and myself. What is your price?"

SleepyBadger
2011-07-30, 05:15 PM
"It's five silver pieces for each of you with breakfast except for Talehos of course, who's been a real help tonight" Ozrim replies.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-31, 05:36 AM
"So are you staying?" Ozrim asks.

planswalker
2011-07-31, 10:42 AM
Talehos is of course staying, but since he is busy at the moment helping out and not chatting with Ozrim, he does not answer.

SleepyBadger
2011-07-31, 02:53 PM
You accept Ozrim's offer for the rooms. Talehos receives a delicious game stew and five silves pieces for all the work he'd done. After having eaten you follow Talsha outside to your tiny hut. The dwarven miners seem to occupy the house next to you; you can still hear faint traces of their voices from behind the trees. You seal the door and hope that you'll have a good night's sleep.

planswalker
2011-07-31, 04:15 PM
Talehos will sleep peacefully, content in a day's good work.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-01, 04:48 AM
Bei'ra leans back comfortably to have a good night's meditation, while the others fall asleep quickly after the exhaustions of the day.

Mirtul 14, Year of the Rogue Dragons (1373 DR)

The sun is already high up above the trees when you wake up rested and refreshed. Bei'ra proceeds to study her spellbook and Germain starts his prayers to gain new spells.
Bei'ra and Germain
Please memorize new spells.

You're already about to walk over to the inn for breakfast when you hear strange scratching sounds. As you walk over to the door you notice a little weasel trying to open the door with its claws obviously intent on getting outside.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-01, 07:19 AM
Germaine will sit outside meditating and praying for his first hour, right as the sun rises.

BinaryMage
2011-08-01, 11:54 AM
Bei'ra, with a small chuckle, will push open the door and let the weasel out, and then proceed to finish her spell memorization before going to eat breakfast.

planswalker
2011-08-01, 01:39 PM
Talehos will begin his morning routine like he always does, with an hour of light exercise designed to enhance agility more than muscle mass.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-01, 02:24 PM
You are about to leave for breakfast when you hear a soft knocking on the door. Peering out you see a hooded dwarf clad in brownish-green robes.
"Well met, travelers" the dwarf says, his grey beard twitching excitedly. "Allow me to introduce myself: I'm Gregor Greataxe. I wonder if I might have a word with you."
Please roll a spot check.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-01, 02:39 PM
Spot
[roll0]

planswalker
2011-08-01, 02:50 PM
spot: [roll0]

BinaryMage
2011-08-01, 02:58 PM

SleepyBadger
2011-08-01, 03:05 PM
Bei'ra
You notice a tiny, furry head disappear in Gregor's pocket, possibly that of a weasel.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-01, 03:28 PM
"Depends on the word then," Germaine responds.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-01, 03:32 PM
"You seem an awfully cautious lot in the morning. Not so much in the evening", the dwarf remarks.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-01, 03:34 PM
"Last night there were more threats outside than in," Germaine smiles. "Today, we will see."

planswalker
2011-08-01, 03:41 PM
Talehos gives his two cents at this time. "Well, seeing as it's incredibly rude to leave the guest just standing on our doorstep, I will invite you inside, sir. No need to be rude."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-01, 04:03 PM
"Thank you, good sir." The dwarf marches inside, straight to a comfortable armchair, almost as if he expected it to be there. "Me and my fellow miners", he begins "are in a fairly desperate situtation now. But before I elaborate the problem I must ask you this: do you know anything specific about the changes happening to the High Forest?"

BinaryMage
2011-08-01, 04:05 PM
"My friend, I am afraid we do not. We are but newcomers to this region, and I am sure your knowledge vastly outstrips ours. Pray tell us what is going on in the forest, and what your situation is."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-01, 05:05 PM
The dwarf looks disappointed for a moment but quickly regains his composure. "I can tell you what happened to us recently", he answers. "We were busy working in our mines as usual, when suddenly the spirits of the cave turned against us, cursing all dwarven gods while decimating our people. According to our legends those spirits are those of long dead dwarven heroes appointed to guard the mines by Moradin himself. I could save myself and a handful of my fellows to get here; still we need help to find out what might have befallen the spirits. Neither of you is a dwarf so you should be no targets of the spirits' vengeance."

planswalker
2011-08-01, 05:26 PM
"A holy quest indeed! I cannot speak for the others, but I personally shall do what I can to aid you."

BinaryMage
2011-08-01, 07:04 PM
"I also shall assist you to my utmost ability. Be assured your plight is not disregarded even among the elves."

Dragon Star
2011-08-01, 09:39 PM
I am also willing to help you. What kind of reward would be involved?

SleepyBadger
2011-08-02, 01:36 AM
"We don't have too much gold, especially after fleeing from the mines", Gregor explains. "But we can pay you 200 gold in total, and we can also offer you to keep some of the items you might find down in the mines. Yet we all have possessions that are dear to our hearts. I left my traveler's spellbook inside, dropping it when the spirts attacked us. I'd like to have that back, if you manage to search the mine thoroughly."

stanleyindraven
2011-08-02, 07:15 AM
"Your plight seems to have disturbed my forest here, I will accompany you all to see an end to the problems we faced yesterday," Germaine adds in as he enters the room.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-02, 02:52 PM
"The mine is not far from here. About half a day's walk along the northeast trail", the dwarf finishes. "We'd really appreciate your help. Do you have any questions? Or do you plan to leave immediately?"

planswalker
2011-08-02, 03:07 PM
"We could spend all day asking you questions that either aren't important or you don't know the answer to, or both. If you think you've told us all the important bits, I see no reason to procrastinate going. Just as soon as we've eaten."

BinaryMage
2011-08-02, 03:35 PM
"I have finished my daily preparations and am ready to accompany you, if you so wish. Let us not tarry, I would much rather visit this mine of yours in the daylight rather than the dark."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-02, 03:39 PM
"It's unwise to run into the unknown without knowing what to expect, my friend." The dwarf shakes his head. "I merely told you what happened to us recently and where the mine is. I did by no means tell you everything I know about the mine. But if you think anything I could tell you is unimportant, so be it." With that he marches out the door.
You finally walk over to the inn for breakfast. Ozrim is nowhere in sight, maybe still sleeping after a busy night. Talsha's missing as well: you find a red-faced, middle aged woman at the bar instead. The room is empty otherwise; you seem to be the only guest still staying at the inn except for the dwarves.
"Just sit down and I get you some bread, cheese and eggs. Or do you have any special wishes?" the woman asks. "Oh, and before I forget: Ozrim wanted me to give you this." And she hands five silver pieces to Talehos.
For everybody else please subtract 5 sp.

planswalker
2011-08-02, 03:56 PM
that wasn't quite what I meant to say, but whatever. It's cool. anything absolutely critical to know that I just accidentally had us skip past will result in a tpk, everyone mad at me, and me getting kicked out. :P

or maybe not.

Talehos gives her the money, as well as the wages he was paid the night before. "I'll give you the money, for I suspect you will put it to better use than I will. What I did, I did not do for profit but to help a fair maid who looked in need of a hand. Besides, my lessons in manners to ruffians earns me all the gold I need."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-02, 04:06 PM
"Do you happen to have some crossbow bolts for sale, Grenda?" Balin inquires. "I know about Ozrim's little collection of items even if he's not running a real shop."
"I think it's your lucky day", Grenda says. "I just saw some in the back room."
Balin loses another 1 gp for the bolts.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-02, 04:21 PM
"Oh, just take it, good sir, I insist!" Grenda looks concerned. "Ozrim will be really furious if he learns I didn't give it to you." She leaves but soon returns with plenty of food and Balin's bolts.
You eat quickly, eager to get on the way. Germain finds the trail in question easily.
Maybe or maybe not :smallsmile: I just wanted to point out that I'm not the kind of DM who builds every adventure based on appropriate CRs. Sometimes the party will face threats where combat is the worst possible solution. So getting information about places you'll visit, people you'll meet etc is generally useful. But who knows? The mine may be empty save for some harmless spirits.

BinaryMage
2011-08-02, 05:12 PM
"I am afraid I only have four silver pieces today. Will that be sufficient?" Bei'ra questions the woman.

planswalker
2011-08-02, 07:13 PM
my point was, you misunderstood my dialogue and gave a response different from what I had intended. And now you're blaming me for not wanting to gather information which was not the intent of my little speech at all.

I tried to go about doing just exactly that in the way Talehos would, but you misunderstood it, took away our only contact, and have now been blaming me for bad roleplaying ever since.

the whole "if you think you've told us all the important bits" was not just to be ignored and my speech interpreted to mean I don't care. If he had other important bits to say, Talehos was inviting them to say them. but as much fun as playing 20 questions with an npc is where most of the questions we can think of aren't actually all that applicable, I was trying to save us time by getting the npc to tell us what he thought was important, so we could better understand what to ask to get the information more efficiently.

instead I got you taking the only contact we have away from us and blaming me for not wanting to roleplay and just rollplay.

if you think that was my intent, okay, I can get that I worded that poorly. but punishing everyone else before they even get a chance to try to respond and patch things over was just not cool.

Talehos will front the extra silver piece that he is lacking, and leave a nine silver piece tip for their meal.

BinaryMage
2011-08-02, 07:21 PM
"Thank you Talehos, you are most kind." speaks Bei'ra as she hands the woman four silver pieces of her own.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-02, 07:25 PM
Germaine awaits the party and then when all is done he will wait for the party or dwarf to exit the hut.
Water under the bridge my friends, never you worry about consequences from not getting enough info, it always seems to level out in the end. That is what chaps my RL dm's butt.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-03, 12:09 AM
No, I'm not blaming you. Besides, the dwarvers are still in their hut so you could just walk over and ask the questions you want.

planswalker
2011-08-03, 12:21 AM
:redface:
whoops. I owe you an apology. I thought from your post that the dwarf rode off intot he sunset.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-03, 06:08 AM
Are you ready to leave?

stanleyindraven
2011-08-03, 07:10 AM
Think so, just waiting

SleepyBadger
2011-08-03, 10:35 AM
OK, I guess you don't want to ask any questions.
You set out along the notheast trail, Germain and Balin leading the way. The wind stands still, the forest is silent as the dead now, you can hear no birds chattering high up in the trees. You follow the winding trail deeper and deeper into the woods which soon starts climbing up a hill. Suddenly you find yourself at a barren clearing with a cave mouth gaping at the end of the trail. You see some rusty old tools lying around. As you move closer to the cave you notice a dark shape lying just beside the entrance. You realize it's the lifeless body of a dwarf. As you peer inside, you see that the cave immediately diverges into three directions.

BinaryMage
2011-08-03, 11:14 AM
Bei'ra peers around, looking and listening for anything out of the ordinary.

Listen: [roll1]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-03, 11:52 AM
Bei'ra
The forest is as quiet as ever and as you look around cautiously you can't perceive any movement behind the trees. This may be in fact a bit out of the ordinary. The cave entrance looks peaceful apart from the dead dwarf. You see the diverging corridors but they quickly meld into a pitch black darkness not even your elven eyes can penetrate.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-03, 12:07 PM
Germaine will pull out a torch and hold it in hand. "Might need this."

planswalker
2011-08-03, 12:27 PM
Talehos will detect evil, and do so continuously as they walk through the cave, directing the 60ft cone in front of them and will call out and pause should he detect the presence of evil within the cone while walking and concentrate to gain more precise results.

mechanically, he will spend each round taking his standard action to concentrate on the power and then his move action to move 15 feet. Should a larger and stronger member of the party wish to pick him up so that we can move faster, he will not object.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-03, 01:43 PM
You stand in front of the entrance contemplating which way to take.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-03, 01:50 PM
"Well, guess we shoulda asked a dwarf where to. I don't guess they left a map about," Germaine will say as searches the area outside the mine for one.

Search
[roll0]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-03, 02:27 PM
Germain
You don't find a map.

BinaryMage
2011-08-03, 03:11 PM
"Well, in that case, I suppose we shall simply decided by chance. Why don't we go to the left?"

planswalker
2011-08-03, 03:17 PM
Talehos will follow behind, using his detect routine as outlined above.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-03, 03:22 PM
Germaine looks longingly at the two that led the way down the left passage, then lit his torch and started looking for any sconced torches to lite, as well as anything that may be valuable as a clue or for equipment.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-03, 03:40 PM
You start moving slowly along the left tunnel. Germain indeed finds some unused torches decorating the wall. Seemingly dwarves would need some light too for mining purposes. You step over a battered pickaxe lying on the ground and finally come to a fork in the road, another tunnel joining in from the left.
Please roll listen and move silently checks.

BinaryMage
2011-08-03, 03:47 PM
Move Silently: [roll1]

stanleyindraven
2011-08-03, 03:52 PM
Germaine would light the torches they pass.

Listen
[roll0]
Spot
[roll1]

stanleyindraven
2011-08-03, 03:56 PM
Move Silently [roll0]

Sorry, I thought it was spot, This is the corrected roll.

planswalker
2011-08-03, 04:12 PM
Talehos continues to keep his detection up as he moves along silently and alert.

[roll0]
[roll1]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-03, 04:27 PM
Balin
Move silently: [roll1]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-03, 04:28 PM
You hear soft pattering noises from the tunnel to your left.
You can either continue staight ahead or turn left.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-04, 08:32 AM
Germaine will motion down the left corridor with his torch and whispers to the others. "I think we should head that way."

planswalker
2011-08-04, 10:58 AM
Still detecting for evil, Talehos says, "[color=gold]lead on.[/roll]"

SleepyBadger
2011-08-04, 11:28 AM
"We can as well go left", Balin agrees in a low voice.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-04, 11:33 AM
You walk a few moments along the left tunnel which then widens into a cave. The pattering sound becomes louder and as you approach cautiously you can finally determine its source. Germain's torchlight illuminates a large centipede crawling around in the cave feeding on a corpse by the looks of it.
Talehos
It does not appear to be evil.
Everyone
Please roll initiative.

planswalker
2011-08-04, 11:37 AM
[roll0]

Talehos says, "Oddly enough, the nearly mindless vermin does not have evil in its heart. Go figure."

stanleyindraven
2011-08-04, 12:05 PM
"This cannot be good," Germaine sighs.

Initiative [roll0]

BinaryMage
2011-08-04, 03:34 PM
"I sincerely doubt these... creatures have any semblance of intelligence, much less a concept of morality." says Bei'ra distastefully.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-04, 03:59 PM
Balin

SleepyBadger
2011-08-04, 04:09 PM
OoC: Round #1
Noticing the light emanating from Germain's torch, the centipede turns towards you, some reddish ichor dripping from its mandibulae.
Germain can drop the torch as a free action if he wishes, it will continue burning on the ground. He's tested that countless times.
Initiative order:

Germain 19
Balin 16
Talehos 13
Bei'ra 8
Centipede 7
Map:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/Centipede_cave_1.jpg
Legend: the greyish areas are parts of the cave that you cannot see as the torch only illuminates a 20' radius circle.

Active conditions

Talehos uninjured
Bei'ra uninjured
Germain: uninjured
Balin: 6 HP

BinaryMage
2011-08-04, 05:01 PM
Bei'ra utters an incantation of power, causing a ball of force to shoot from her outstretched hand and slam into the centipede.

Magic Missile: Auto-hit, Damage: [roll0]

planswalker
2011-08-04, 05:07 PM
Talehos will charge the centipede, and attack it at [roll0] for [roll1]

Dragon Star
2011-08-04, 08:32 PM
Balin will use Inspire Courage.
+1 to attack and damage

stanleyindraven
2011-08-04, 08:49 PM
Germaine will drop the torch and draw his scimitar as he moves 5ft closer(F18).

stanleyindraven
2011-08-05, 05:19 AM
And takes a swing at the centipede.

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-05, 06:10 AM
OoC: Round #2
Germain drops the light source and enters the battle. He seems a bit rusty so early in the morning.
Balin starts singing a song about Bruenor Battlehammer and his clan overcoming the countless hazards of Mithril Hall. He also readies his crossbow.
Talehos attacks the creature which isn’t evil despite its disgusting habits but misses with his shield bash.
OoC: You need to move at least 10 ft for a charge.
Bei’ra intones her spell and burns a hole into the centipede’s carapace.
Already annoyed by the light the centipede tries to bite Germain who had been holding it. Germain barely manages to dodge the attack.
Initiative order:

Germain 19
Balin 16
Talehos 13
Bei'ra 8
Centipede 7
Map:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/Centipede_cave_2.jpg
Legend: the greyish areas are parts of the cave that you cannot see as the torch only illuminates a 20' radius circle.

Active conditions

If Balin manages to finish his song, all except Germain will profit from it this round (+1 attack, +1 weapon damage).
Talehos uninjured
Bei'ra uninjured
Germain: uninjured
Centipede: lightly injured

stanleyindraven
2011-08-05, 08:37 AM
Germaine will swing his blade again, hoping for real contact.

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

BinaryMage
2011-08-05, 10:15 AM
Bei'ra will loose another arrow from her bow, silently praying to Corellon Larethian to make the shot strike true.

planswalker
2011-08-05, 11:02 AM
could have sworn I was at least 10 feet away, since I was 5 feet back from the guy in front.

Talehos will move around to provide Germaine with a flanking bonus, himself attacking with [roll0] for [roll1]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-05, 11:54 AM
Talehos
Better state these things explicitly next time as I would otherwise assume he walks in front to detect evil. There's no real point detecting evil on his companions unless you want him to be really paranoid.

Balin fires his crossbow, carefully aiming at the centipede to avoid hitting Talehos or Germain accidentally.
Confirmation:
Damage: [roll3]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-05, 12:21 PM
OoC: Round #3
Germain swings his sword again and misses the creature by an inch.
Balin lets loose an arrow but the arrow disappears in the back of the cave.
Talehos moves around the creature, yet he's too slow to make a wide circle around it. The centipede snaps at him, very nearly biting him.
Corellon seems to answer Bei’ra's prayers. She fires as well, hitting the creature near an eye.
The attack bonus is currently +0 when firing into melee (+3+1-4). (Unless she wants to risk hitting her companions.)
The vermin stubbornly continues to attack Germain and finally bites his arm. The wound begins to burn like hell.
Germain loses 3 HP (with DR). Please roll a Fortitude save.
You also hear movement from the back of the cave. Apparently you managed to awake something from its slumber... Another centipede appears at the edge of the light.
As part of the creature is visible it can be targeted.
Initiative order:

Germain 19
Balin 16
Talehos 13
Bei'ra 8
Centipede 7
Map:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/Centipede_cave3.jpg

Active conditions

Inspire Courage for everyone (+1 attack, +1 weapon damage, +1 saves vs. fear effects).
Talehos uninjured
Bei'ra uninjured
Centipede 1: seriously injured
Centipede 2: unknown

BinaryMage
2011-08-05, 12:23 PM
Bei'ra again fires an arrow.

Critical Confirm (if necessary): [roll2]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-06, 12:04 PM
Balin fires an arrow at the second centipede.
Confirmation:

SleepyBadger
2011-08-06, 12:10 PM
Talehos will attack the newcomer with his shield.
Confirmation:

SleepyBadger
2011-08-06, 12:26 PM
OoC: Round #4
Germain looks at his wound in surprise. He's so surprised he doesn't even try to move.
Fortutide save: [roll0]
Please correct base save on sheet.Balin fires at the other centipede and his aim is true this time.
Talehos attacks the other centipede but gets no luck.
Bei'ra still has Corellon's favor. She manages to kill the first creature.
The second centipede attacks Talehos but misses.
As part of the creature is visible it can be targeted.
Initiative order:

Germain 19
Balin 16
Talehos 13
Bei'ra 8
Centipede 7
Map:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/Centipede_cave4.jpg

Active conditions

Inspire Courage for everyone (+1 attack, +1 weapon damage, +1 saves vs. fear effects) (4 more rounds)
Talehos uninjured
Bei'ra uninjured
Centipede: moderately injured

stanleyindraven
2011-08-07, 10:20 AM
Fort Save made?

Germaine will use a ray of frost on the centipede.

Touch attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

BinaryMage
2011-08-07, 12:05 PM
Bei'ra will shoot an arrow at the vermin.

Attack (into melee): [roll0]

planswalker
2011-08-07, 12:49 PM
Talehos
Better state these things explicitly next time as I would otherwise assume he walks in front to detect evil. There's no real point detecting evil on his companions unless you want him to be really paranoid.

uh, sorry I guess it's my bad for assuming that someone else saying they take point and me not saying I take point meant I wouldn't take point. He's not paranoid, in fact the opposite, so he has no concerns about including his allies in the detect, and he'd actually want to stay a bit back from the front so that there's less of a "blind spot" in the important areas in front of him from the cone extending outward at a 45 degree angle.

thus, I did not think that detecting in a 60 foot cone meant I automatically took point, since I see it as most effective in this usage to be about 10 feet back so as to allow the area closer in to not be a blind spot.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-07, 02:18 PM
Talehos continues with his attack.
OK, for the rest of the campaign we can assume your paladin moves 5' behind unless you specify otherwise.
Confirmation:

Balin takes one step forward and gives the torch a kick before attacking.
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Confirmation:
Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-07, 02:23 PM
OoC: Round #5
Germain's wound isn't as bad as he feared. He casts his spell but doesn't manage to aim it well. The spay of acid disappears in the depths of the cave.
Yes, first save made.
Balin steps forward and kicks the torch to move the light source. He fires another bolt at the creature to no avail.
Talehos continues bashing the centipede but misses again.
Bei'ra shoots but gets no luck this time.
The centipede's mandibulae snap again at Talehos but he manages to dance out of the way.
Initiative order:

Germain 19
Balin 16
Talehos 13
Bei'ra 8
Centipede 7
Map:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/KollarEmese/Centipede_cave5.jpg

Active conditions

Inspire Courage for everyone (+1 attack, +1 weapon damage, +1 saves vs. fear effects) (3 more rounds)
Talehos uninjured
Bei'ra uninjured
Germain: 6 HP (poison incubation time)
Centipede: moderately injured

planswalker
2011-08-07, 02:28 PM
rather than just making assumptions, why can't we just not assume I take point if someone else takes point and I don't say I take point?

I still don' totally get why you assumed I had taken point when someone else had explicitly said they had it and I hadn't explicitly said I had. I could get it if no one had and Tal had done his lookout routine.

Talehos will attack the centipede once more.

[roll0] for [roll1]

Dragon Star
2011-08-07, 02:57 PM
Balin moves to G 19 and shoots the beast with his crossbow.

[roll0]
[roll1]
if i missed some penalties, sorry.

BinaryMage
2011-08-07, 05:36 PM
Bei'ra fires again.

Atk: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]

stanleyindraven
2011-08-07, 08:31 PM
Germaine runs up and slashes at the beast.

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-07, 08:41 PM
Germain runs up to the centipede and finds a gap in its hard carapace. The creature staggers but remains standing.
Balin shoots another bolt but misses his mark.
Talehos swings his shield again and strikes true this time, even without flanking. The centipede collapses on the ground.
(OoC: No need for Bei'ra to shoot.)
Everyone
Please record 150 XP for defeating the centipedes.
You stand in the middle of the cave. The torch illuminates the dead centipedes and a few corpses.

planswalker
2011-08-07, 11:16 PM
"Well, does anyone have a good recipe for centipede?"

stanleyindraven
2011-08-08, 07:32 AM
"Not one that tastes good," Germaine says as he turns and reaches for his torch. He then looks about the cavern making sure no other creature lurks in the dark.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-08, 08:02 AM
Germain finds no other living creature in the cave.
Roll a search check.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-08, 08:18 AM
Search [roll0]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-08, 02:08 PM
Germain
You find two battleaxes and an interesting gem among the rubble.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-08, 02:22 PM
Germaine stoops down and examines the rubble.
I will pocket the gem.

"I see that this mine was probably profitable, and a few battleaxes lay here," Germaine says as he motions over the weapons. "Looks very profitable indeed," he says as he walks back to the group and pulls the gem from his pocket.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-08, 04:22 PM
Germain
Your search took another minute. Please make a second Fortitude save vs the centipede poison.
Everyone
Do you plan to continue down the main tunnel or go back to the inn have some rest?

planswalker
2011-08-08, 06:40 PM
"Nifty little bauble that. Shall we be on our way?"

stanleyindraven
2011-08-08, 08:18 PM
Fort Save

[roll0]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-08, 08:31 PM
Germain
You lose 2 DEX.

BinaryMage
2011-08-08, 09:45 PM
"I, at least, have resources enough to continue on, but if you feel we must cease for the day, so be it."

planswalker
2011-08-08, 09:56 PM
"Wait, we advance in one room, face two bugs, and you even mention retreat, why?"

BinaryMage
2011-08-08, 11:03 PM
"Well, I certainly do not wish to retreat, I was simply being polite to any of you who were exhausted by this minor expenditure."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-08, 11:58 PM
You walk back the tunnel you came from and reaching the junction you turn left towards the unexplored parts of the cave complex. After a few yards you notice a tiny crack in the left wall only big enough for some small burrowing animal to crawl through.
Talehos
You feel an evil emanation from the crack. Stepping closer you realize that the evil you feel is so overwhelming that it stuns you for a small moment, breaking your concentration on the spell.

planswalker
2011-08-09, 12:00 AM
Talehos will re-cast the spell and spend the required number of rounds concentrating on the spell to detect the number and strength of the auras.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-09, 12:13 AM
Talehos
You feel your spell interrupted again as you try concentrating harder. Apparently the evil you sense is too strong for you to bear. You can only discern that it has a single source.

planswalker
2011-08-09, 12:47 AM
you weren't kidding around about the outside our level rating enconters. in order to stun someone detecting, the aura must be overwhelming and twice my hit dice. at lvl 1, no surprise it's twice my hit dice, but in order to be overwhelming, it's got to have at least 11 hit dice, and that if it's an undead or evil outsider.

"Uh, fellas, something evil lives here. Overwhelmingly so. If we meet it, best to not try to fight it. We'd die very quickly."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-09, 06:51 AM
Evil outsider. True. Undead would need lvl 21. It could also be an evil cleric of lvl 11.
You continue down the main tunnel, Germain lighting the odd wall torch along the way. Some are completely burned down and of no use anymore. You soon notice the road forking into three directions again. As you examine the corridors you notice the left one being partially barred by a mining cart.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-09, 07:20 AM
"I think that we should go left, it will be easier to remember how to get out," Germaine suggests as he stumbles over the uneven floor.

planswalker
2011-08-09, 09:54 AM
Talehos will follow behind, keeping his detect routine going.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-09, 10:47 AM
You choose the left tunnel. After walking a few yards you come to a robust metal gate worked skillfully into the stone. You see some strange runes written on it.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-09, 10:54 AM
"Anyone read dwarven," Germaine quietly questions the group.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-09, 11:01 AM
"Not really", Balin whispers back.

BinaryMage
2011-08-09, 11:16 AM
Bei'ra will attempt to figure out the general gist of the writing.

Decipher Script: [roll0]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-09, 11:47 AM
Bei'ra
You recognize words like 'danger' and 'lair of beast'.

BinaryMage
2011-08-09, 12:13 PM
"Well, from the little I can ascertain, this place is rife with danger, for to find out the nature of which I am innately curious. Let us proceed, but with caution."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-09, 12:51 PM
Balin steps closer to examine the lock on the gate. "I do dabble with locks but this one looks too hard for me to open", he says, shaking his head.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-09, 12:59 PM
"You plan to pass into an area blocked off with a warning on it," Germaine questions. "Okay."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-09, 07:14 PM
So what is is going to be? Do you try to break down the door or do you rather turn back?

BinaryMage
2011-08-09, 09:03 PM
"I think we should continue cautiously."

Dragon Star
2011-08-09, 09:15 PM
I agree, however first could our fair priest remove the few wounds I still have?

stanleyindraven
2011-08-10, 05:48 AM
Germaine looks around for a priest.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-10, 06:05 AM
Germain
You can't see any priests around at the moment. Unless you consider yourself a 'priest of nature', as druids are sometimes called... However, Balin seems to have a scratch on his arm.
Everyone
So who will attempt to break down the door then?

planswalker
2011-08-10, 07:22 AM
Talehos will take 20 on his attempt to do so, for a total strength check of 16. Should anyone larger like to try, he will allow them to take the lead.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-10, 07:40 AM
Talehos throws himself repeatedly against the door which produces loud clanging and screetching noises but otherwise doesn't bulk. As the paladin stops to catch his breath you hear a low rumble from the other side. The earth seems to shake slightly under your feet and tiny pieces of rocks start raining down on you.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-10, 08:42 AM
"I do believe that someone larger is coming to break down the door," Germaine says as he backs away.

planswalker
2011-08-10, 08:54 AM
Talehos will get 10' back from the door and detect evil.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-10, 10:09 AM
The rumble slowly dies away.
Talehos
The gate doesn't appear to be evil.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-10, 10:27 AM
"Right then, Back the way we came, we will address this later," and then Germaine turns and heads back to the last fork in the tunnel.

Probably could have gotten a map from the dwarves.

BinaryMage
2011-08-10, 11:08 AM
"Let us use logic here. If it must break down the door instead of just opening it, one can assume it is locked in, and one can also assume it probably has attempted to break down the door before without succeeding. We are most likely perfectly safe." says Bei'ra, albeit as she backs away and to the side of the door.

planswalker
2011-08-10, 11:41 AM
Convinced that the door is not an evil spell warding in a good creature, Talehos will join the others back at the last fork.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-10, 02:02 PM
You head back to the last fork where you turned left last time. You still have the option to choose the middle or the right tunnel.
Germain
OoC: Germain can take 10 on surival and create a rudimentary map of the caves you've been in assuming he has something to paint on (and with).

stanleyindraven
2011-08-10, 02:12 PM
"Does anyone have supplies to make a map," Germaine questions his companions.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-11, 05:58 AM
"I'd love to help you out but unfortunately most of my belongings were taken by Ragnor", Balin explains. "How about using a big leaf?" He thinks for a moment then continues. "So will you heal me or not? And which tunnel should we choose?"

stanleyindraven
2011-08-11, 07:00 AM
"Ah yes, well, I am a druid, not priest, but I will provide you healing," Germaine says and then casts CLW.

Heal [roll0]

I cannot remember if I asked, full heal out of combat?

SleepyBadger
2011-08-11, 07:14 AM
OoC: No need for CLW as Balin is missing only 1 HP so a Cure Minor spell would suffice. I only brought up the topic because Dragon Star specifically asked for it in his last post. No, there's no full healing outside of combat.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-11, 07:36 AM
Oh, well then, change that to CMW. I am guessing that Germaine knows it is minor

SleepyBadger
2011-08-11, 09:15 AM
"Thank you very much", Balin says.
OoC: Middle or right?

stanleyindraven
2011-08-11, 09:21 AM
Germaine will choose to walk down the middle tunnel if noone objects.

BinaryMage
2011-08-11, 10:29 AM
"I suppose I can acquiesce to your choice."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-11, 12:33 PM
"Let's go then", Balin comments.

You continue along the middle tunnel with Germain leading the way, Talehos following slightly behind and Balin and Bei'ra guarding the rear. Germain finds some other torches on the walls to be lit. After a few yards the passage widens into a cave.
Please roll spot and listen checks.

BinaryMage
2011-08-11, 02:26 PM
Listen: [roll1]