PDA

View Full Version : Telekinesis-based builds?

Rossebay
2011-07-21, 12:07 PM
Do any even exist? My friend is obsessed with telekinetics, and I was wondering if there's a quick way to get telekinesis so that he could use it in conjunction with Master of the Unseen Hand, or in a similar fashion.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?

deuxhero
2011-07-21, 12:12 PM
Isn't a ring of Telekinesis a core item?

Diarmuid
2011-07-21, 12:21 PM
Hand of the Mage allows for unlimited Mage Hand...it's not Telekinesis, but it's a little bit.

ericgrau
2011-07-21, 12:29 PM
Ghosts get telekinesis every 1d4 rounds at a mere LA 4. Also gives you a ludicrous caster level on it making your maneuvers crazy powerful. 17 at ECL 9. If you use the sustained version rather than violent thrust you'll never go a round without it; though thrusts are better.

EDIT: Oh you still need 5 character levels before getting in regardless :/. Well you can finish by ECL 14 I suppose. I'd look for other races/templates with telekinesis. I found fetch at LA 5, blue slaad at LA 6 and 8 HD and that was it.

LavitzSlambert
2011-07-21, 12:44 PM
I think you're looking for this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870578/X-mens_Jean_Grey,_or_how_to_be_silly_with_MotUH).

Xefas
2011-07-21, 12:47 PM
Monks have the best telekinesis. They move things with their mind. With their fists.

Rossebay
2011-07-21, 01:13 PM
I was more talking about a build that utilizes something similar to Telekinesis, but at lower levels. Say, level 5?

dextercorvia
2011-07-21, 01:31 PM
Launch Item is a cantrip from SpC. It allows you to launch any (reasonable) thing a long ways. This is good for Alchemist Fire, Tanglefoot bags, Hammers, whatever. If you take the Reach and Chain metamagics, then at level 6, you take Arcane Thesis: Launch Item, you can launch CL+1 items with a 3rd level spell slot.

OracleofSilence
2011-07-21, 01:57 PM
Maybe Psionics? there is telekinetic thrust, it can fling objects as weapons... there are a few 3rd level powers that can do similar things.

Prime32
2011-07-21, 01:58 PM
Ghosts get telekinesis every 1d4 rounds at a mere LA 4. Also gives you a ludicrous caster level on it making your maneuvers crazy powerful. 17 at ECL 9. If you use the sustained version rather than violent thrust you'll never go a round without it; though thrusts are better.

EDIT: Oh you still need 5 character levels before getting in regardless :/. Well you can finish by ECL 14 I suppose. I'd look for other races/templates with telekinesis. I found fetch at LA 5, blue slaad at LA 6 and 8 HD and that was it.There's an easier way. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a)

ericgrau
2011-07-21, 04:26 PM
Oh geeze 2nd level and still caster level 12th? So that means ECL 8 entry into MotUH (ECL 7 to meet pre-reqs). Is there any requirement to take all 5 levels of ghost?

Rossebay
2011-07-21, 04:54 PM
I don't see a requirement for all 5 levels... Wow.
That's really cool.

Zonugal
2011-07-21, 05:09 PM
Oh geeze 2nd level and still caster level 12th? So that means ECL 8 entry into MotUH (ECL 7 to meet pre-reqs). Is there any requirement to take all 5 levels of ghost?

Nope but if you have access to LA buy-off you might as well go for the third level for rejuvenation.

Inferno
2011-07-21, 06:49 PM
i always thought it'd be fun to play a force golem. (mm4 iirc) telekinesis sla's and an int score. only issue being the low, non scaling dc's.

Zuke
2014-02-15, 04:24 PM
Hi guy's,

Monster classes, such as ghost levels, have a set of rules above and beyond the standard. The rules are in Savage Species p25 & bullet pointed in Races of the Wild P92

The key points are;
- You don't gain feats or HD (unless specific to the monster levels)
- You must take all levels in the monster class list (eg. 5/5 for ghost) in order and you may not multiclass during these levels.
- You must reach a set CR prior to expanding into monster levels

Keep in mind that generally you are worse off taking monster levels than just taking the ECL hit.

Gemini476
2014-02-15, 08:57 PM
Hi guy's,

Monster classes, such as ghost levels, have a set of rules above and beyond the standard. The rules are in Savage Species p25 & bullet pointed in Races of the Wild P92

The key points are;
- You don't gain feats or HD (unless specific to the monster levels)
- You must take all levels in the monster class list (eg. 5/5 for ghost) in order and you may not multiclass during these levels.
- You must reach a set CR prior to expanding into monster levels

Keep in mind that generally you are worse off taking monster levels than just taking the ECL hit.
Not the online ones! That's why they're pretty much the only Savage Progressions that are regularly recommended.

Thurbane
2014-02-15, 09:24 PM
I was more talking about a build that utilizes something similar to Telekinesis, but at lower levels. Say, level 5?
Binding Ronove (1st level vestige) gets you Far Hand, a type of telekinesis that scales with your Binder level, and is usable once every 5 rounds.

Less effective, but definitely far less cheesy that ghost class levels.

Not the online ones! That's why they're pretty much the only Savage Progressions that are regularly recommended.
If you're in a game where that flies, why not just be Pun Pun and call it a day? I don't mean to seem rude, but I've seen this many times, and it's one of the most flagrant abuses of RAI/RAMS that I know of. I doubt I'd enjoy any game where this was on the table.