PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy Marilith question

Shadyben
2011-07-21, 04:17 PM
Can a marilith constrict in the same round that it initiates a grapple?

The ambiguous text is:

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a marilith must hit with its tail slap attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it succeeds on the grapple check, it can constrict.

only1doug
2011-07-21, 04:25 PM
Can a marilith constrict in the same round that it initiates a grapple?

The ambiguous text is:

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a marilith must hit with its tail slap attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it succeeds on the grapple check, it can constrict.

I think so, I think anything with Constrict automatically deals it whenever they win a grapple check that they initiated.

Constrict (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#constrict)
A creature with this special attack can crush an opponent, dealing bludgeoning damage, after making a successful grapple check. The amount of damage is given in the creature’s entry. If the creature also has the improved grab ability it deals constriction damage in addition to damage dealt by the weapon used to grab.

Shadyben
2011-07-21, 04:30 PM
Cheers! That's fits with my expectations. wanted to clear it up, as it amounts to a whole lot of hurt, but then, it *is CR17...

Keld Denar
2011-07-21, 04:35 PM
If you really want to hurt people, re-feat your Marilith. Give it Improved Unarmed Strike instead of one of its other feats.

Now you make 6 sets of UAS (primary + secondary + tertiary), 6 slams (which you couldn't make before because the hands were too full of swords to slam with), and a tail slap in a pair tree.

Thats like, 25 attacks per round. Even without a source of bonus damage, thats still a heck of a lot of hurt!

Shadyben
2011-07-21, 04:49 PM
Now that's a fine bit of genius there sir. Since clearly you've got a knack for this, got any clever ways to beef up a Molydeus? I'm running Return to the Tomb of Horrors, and could use some surprises for my entirely veteran group.

Keld Denar
2011-07-21, 04:52 PM
Never read/run RttToH, nor seen the stats for a Molydeus.

Most things can be made tougher simply by swapping a few feats around. Things like Weapon Focus and Alertness become Aberrant Blood and Inhuman Reach, for example, and all of a sudden your foe has an extra 5' of reach which can make everyone's day a little tougher.