PDA

View Full Version : Game of Nerds

Asarlai
2011-07-21, 05:07 PM
I got turned on to this on another forum, and decided I wanted to share it:

Game of Nerds (www.gameofnerds.com/?ref=b701580)

A game you can play by yourself or with the help of friends, to test your knowledge in up to 15 categories, including:

Science fiction movies and TV
Fantasy movies and TV
Action and cult movies
Science fiction literature
Fantasy literature
Computer and video games
Board / card / role-playing games
Hardware and gadgets
Computer software
The internet
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Astronomy
Math and numbers

You can also author your own questions to add to the game, so the knowledge base is ever-growing and relevant.

There are benefits to "friends," including automated help with questions (like life lines), so when you click on the reference link up there, it will send your name to me so I can be your first friend. If you don't want to be my friend, you can just hit no when it asks you (I won't be offended, I already have some, haha).

Good luck playing the Game of Nerds, if you so choose.

Terraoblivion
2011-07-21, 05:20 PM
So nerds only care about hard science and no nerd could possibly know about social science or humanities? That doesn't look quite right to me.

Asarlai
2011-07-21, 05:28 PM
So nerds only care about hard science and no nerd could possibly know about social science or humanities? That doesn't look quite right to me.

Literature is a humanities subject, and there are multiple literature categories. Others could fall into a cultural studies topic. Of course, I didn't make the game, so don't blame me. (And I'm a History major, by the way.)

Smiling Knight
2011-07-21, 05:48 PM
Hail, fellow Westorosi! (most likely).

Game of Nerds is quite a fun time-killer. I would recommend it. And making questions is fun too, because you can track them and see how successful people are at answering them!

(And the humanities are generally not considered as "nerdy" as say physics or math is, which is why they are not included, I assume)

Asarlai
2011-07-21, 05:50 PM
Hail, fellow Westorosi! (most likely).

Quite right you are.

hobbitkniver
2011-07-21, 10:23 PM
This game has a very strong vibe of "you have to earn the right to play". By this, I mean you cannot play indefinitely unless you wait for the weekly credits or do various other things including referrals (yeah, thats right. They tell you to get people to joining) or buying credits.

Edit: I'm getting creamed on these science questions, but I managed to correctly answer the "almost impossible" question on videogames.

GoblinArchmage
2011-07-22, 02:08 AM
And the humanities are generally not considered as "nerdy" as say physics or math is

I don't know. In my experience, humanities have a more nerdy reputation, because there are significantly fewer high paying jobs in that field than in math and science. That could just be the way it is for me, though. I'm an English major, and people frequently make fun of me for that.

hobbitkniver
2011-07-24, 05:32 PM
This game is really annoying. I just got exactly 25 emails from 6:02 and 6:26 today. This is incredibly irritating and I'm still getting more. I would not recommend this to anyone because as soon as this game gets your email, they never let you go.

Brother Oni
2011-07-24, 06:32 PM
There's an apology posted on the website - apparently the mail server spazzed out and started spamming everybody.

Edit: Played it and there are some poorly chosen questions: for example, "What's the highest value property in standard Monopoly?"
I'd answer 'Mayfair' but because it's US-centric, the correct answer is 'Boardwalk'. :smallsigh:

GameOfNerds
2011-07-24, 06:58 PM
Hey guys,

I'm the (currently not very happy) person responsible for Game Of Nerds. I noticed some activity from GiantITP recently, so I figured there'd now be some mention of the email bug which just occurred.

Believe it or not, this is actually not part of some scheme to get email addresses and then spam users. A function went crazy, 700 users got spammed, and I'm truly sorry if any people from here were inconvenienced. Since this is pretty much just me and the game, I'll be working some night hours to figure out what went wrong.

Again, sorry, and feel free to play with the given coins until I figure out what to do about them.

GameOfNerds
2011-07-24, 10:11 PM
I've now figured out that this is an error with my host that causes mail calls to be repeated. Which is why the apology mail has now been sent... 20 times.

I've suspended all emailing until they have it fixed. Can't apologize enough for this.

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 11:52 PM
I've now figured out that this is an error with my host that causes mail calls to be repeated. Which is why the apology mail has now been sent... 20 times.

I've suspended all emailing until they have it fixed. Can't apologize enough for this.
Oh the delicious irony. But hey, at least they know you're really sorry!

Once you've got this sorted out, I might give it a shot. Sounds fun.

Brother Oni
2011-07-25, 06:29 AM
Oh the delicious irony. But hey, at least they know you're really sorry!

Don't you mean really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really sorry? :smalltongue:

Once you've got this sorted out, I might give it a shot. Sounds fun.

It shows you how rusty you are at certain things - I'm abysmally bad at biology and chemistry now. :smallsigh:

Username is brotheroni if anybody wants some help with their sci-fi movies/tv show questions. :smallsigh:

RPharazon
2011-07-25, 07:57 AM
It seems quite decent. I don't like the coin system and I wish there were more non-payment ways of getting them, but the "Play a game, make a question" system seems to work decently, so long as the questions get validated quickly.

toasty
2011-07-25, 09:25 AM
And the humanities are generally not considered as "nerdy" as say physics or math is, which is why they are not included, I assume)

Which is why all us philosophy/theology majors aren't nerds, right? Who would study that but a bunch of normal people who think too much? :smalltongue:

Yeah, nerds are generally thought of as sciency types. But plenty of nerds also love the humanities, especially the ones like philosophy or history, the "useless" majors.