PDA

View Full Version : Help with Cleric

Xavrias
2011-07-21, 05:09 PM
Hey, so In my party I'm the cleric. I'm responsible for all healing. We are level 6 now and I have the healing covered with feats and stuff, now I want a lot of buffing spells since I can spontaneously cast cure spells. Can anyone tell me some good buff spells and the books they come from, and some good cleric gear and magic items. Thanks

jvluso
2011-07-21, 05:28 PM
Handbook link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0)

It really depends on the level. Some examples of good buffs are divine power, divine favor, righteous might, the various animals stats, death ward, mindblank, etc...

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-21, 05:31 PM
Another obligatory link. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866830/The_Cleric_Handbook)

Also: because you mentioned that you are the "designated healer" or somesuch. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871786/A_Players_Guide_to_Healing_%28And,_why_you_will_be _Just_Fine_without_a_Cleric_to_heal%29)

mootoall
2011-07-21, 05:31 PM
You can always do healing with wands out of combat, so don't bother wasting your spell slots on them unless it's Heal. Other than that, yeah, check the Handbook, remember that you can do pretty respectable melee damage, and oh yeah, you can cast Planar Binding.

Xavrias
2011-07-21, 06:08 PM
Thanks, also turns out theres gonna be a lot of undead in this campaign,could you guys list some good turning feats.

MrRigger
2011-07-21, 06:24 PM
Well, for dealing with Undead, there's always Radiant Servant of Pelor, for lots of Greater Turning fun (and boosted healing spells). Extra Turning can be good, and also helps power Divine Metamagic, though it doesn't sound like you're built for that. It also depends on what kind of undead you're facing. A horde of zombie commoners is a lot different than staring down the maw of a Dracolich with a Controlled Advanced Graveyard at his command. If you're don't need powerful Turning, but lots of it (such as the case of the horde of zombie commoners), try to get your hands on some Nightsticks. Each one gives you the benefit of the Extra Turning Feat.

MrRigger

Keld Denar
2011-07-21, 06:34 PM
Turning is not that hard to optimize. You need the DMG, the MIC, Libris Mortis, and the Arms and Equipment Guide. For rather cheap, you can buy:

Phylactery of Undead Turning (+4)
Sacred Armor (+2)
Sacred Shield (+2)
Rod of Defiance (+4)
Ephod of Authority (+1)

That alone gives you +13 on your effective TU level. Assuming you are level 10 by the time you can afford all of that, that means you are turning as a 23rd level cleric before you even roll. A good roll can get you up to 27 HD. If you have the Sun domain, that Greater Turning effect is going to dust pretty much any undead within 30' of you, even the dreaded Dread Wraith, and including such nasties as Vampires (even Vamp Lords), Liches, etc.

Poof! Next encounter. And thats not even using any of your feats, spells, class abilities, or anything. Just one feature and some gear.

And, so that you aren't totally hyperspecialized, open up Complete Champion to the spells section. Turn Anathema is what you are looking for. That allows a good cleric to turn any outsider with the [Evil] subtype. Unfortunately, you can't dust them, but its still good. That level 10 character from above? He can scare the pants off a Balor with how close to his god he is. PANTS ON THE FLOOR! PANTS ON THE FLOOR! LOOKIN LIKE A FOOL WIT YO PANTS ON THE FLOOR!

vampire2948
2011-07-21, 09:00 PM
In addition to what Keld said, try the Quicken Turning feat. Does just what it says on the tin, so you can still cast whatever you're casting, and burn some undead each round.

Xavrias
2011-07-22, 12:48 AM
Ok, thats great guys. Time to kill a lich or 2.

Vandicus
2011-07-22, 12:56 AM
Just a note, the handbook that was linked to you contains some pretty powerful stuff, and if you aren't playing in a very well optimized party, DDM combined with persist spell will cause you to outshine the other players to an extent that might be unhealthy for the game. If you are in a high powered game, by all means, persist all your buffs and get DMM reach spell so your allies can wear them too.

Xavrias
2011-07-22, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty much the only experienced player, but the dm is even more experienced so I think he'll think of ways to kill me lol.