PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Leap Question

Mad Wizard
2011-07-21, 06:54 PM
How does Sudden leap interact with this clause from Jump?

Distance moved by jumping is counted against your normal maximum movement in a round.

Action
None. A Jump check is included in your movement, so it is part of a move action. If you run out of movement mid-jump, your next action (either on this turn or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete the jump.

Essentially, my question is this: can I take a move action, then use Sudden Leap to add to my movement as a swift action? This was my interpretation, but my DM disagrees. He says that any jump check has to follow those rules, regardless of the action it takes. I argue that the fact that it's a swift action means the phrase from the PHB doesn't apply, since it's not part of a move action like it usually is.

In addition, should Sudden Leap be counted as starting from a running start?

Keld Denar
2011-07-21, 07:20 PM
Sudden Leap uses a Jump check, but it is not bound by the rules of the Jump skill. It uses its own rule (distance traveled = check result). None of the other details of Jump have any bearing. It might as well not even be called a Jump check, for as much as Sudden Leap cares, just that you roll a die and add a modifier that happens to correspond with your total Jump modifier. Since it is not noted, Sudden Leap is neither running nor standing, doesn't benefit from a high movement speed, and isn't restricted by how far you can move in a turn. It is simply a Jump check followed by subsequent movement as dictated by the maneuver description.

Greenish
2011-07-22, 01:55 AM
doesn't benefit from a high movement speedHow do you figure? :smallconfused:

If it's just a check made using your Jump modifier, of course movement speed is added into it.

Kittenwolf
2011-07-22, 02:26 AM
From the 3.5 FAQ:

Does the Jump check and subsequent jump made as
part of the Sudden Leap boost (ToB 89) count against the
initiator’s movement as described in the Jump skill?

No. Sudden Leap is its own swift action, not part of a move
action, so the movement is in addition to any you might make
using other actions.

So sure doesn't count against movement :)

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-07-22, 02:28 AM
Hey, whaddyaknow, the FAQ is right about something.

Keld Denar
2011-07-22, 08:51 AM
You only get the +4 for each 10' of movement speed over 30 bonus when you make a running jump. Since a Sudden Leap is neither a standing jump or a running jump, you don't get the bonus, not even with Leap of the Heavens.

Greenish
2011-07-22, 09:11 AM
You only get the +4 for each 10' of movement speed over 30 bonus when you make a running jump.Funny, SRD neglects to mention any such limitations.

Cog
2011-07-22, 09:13 AM
Funny, SRD neglects to mention any such limitations.
I don't see it in the PHB, either.

Darrin
2011-07-22, 09:42 AM
The SRD says:

Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a –6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.

It says nothing about that modifier only applying to running jumps. It looks like you get it on every jump check, regardless of whether you're running, standing, or jazzercising.

Keld Denar
2011-07-22, 10:09 AM
Huh...maybe I was just hallucinating when I wrote that last night. Madness happens.

Mad Wizard
2011-07-22, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the help, everyone. Are you sure about the "distance moved = check result," portion, though? The maneuver states that you "move the distance determined by your check result," which to me indicates that you still need to use the table in the Jump skill description.