PDA

View Full Version : PF: Guns, Ninjas, & Samurai!

Lastgrasp
2011-07-21, 08:14 PM
With Ultimate Combat coming out in a couple of weeks, how do you handle guns, ninjas, & samurai in your campaign? For me I like to keep Ninjas & Samurai to their own region and have little or no interaction. Well, I really never have a Ninja/Samurai in a western fantasy game. Do you mix & match them in your campaign?

With the next adventure path Jade Reagent the premise is your start in the west and travel to the east. I kinda see the dynamics/role-play potential in that. Have to admit having a Paladin showing up in a Ninja infested land sounds kinda cool.

As for the Gunslinger, I am intrigued by the class. I have never used guns in a fantasy game, but with the fluff behind Golarion I'm more inclined to allow the class. I can see a gunslinger in a shackles/pirates game in the Inner Sea. Probably not running around Ustalav as much.

Psyren
2011-07-21, 08:33 PM
Pirates vs. Ninjas, Pathfinder style, eh? I may have to get this book.

The Gilded Duke
2011-07-21, 08:48 PM
I'm playing a Dwarf Samurai, with the Samurai class being refluffed as the Dwarf class. Its all about being super resilient, good with a specific weapon, and with order of the warrior good at k. nobility... or knowing the lineages of the clans.

Only mechanical change made so far was to switch out Dwarven Waraxe for Katana as one of the focused weapons.

Might try to persuade the dm to eventually allow a Ram instead of a horse.

marcielle
2011-07-22, 07:13 AM
Lol just noticed if you compare samurai code and Dwarven community they actually match up pretty well. Dwarves are brought up with all the qualities of a good samurai.

Luckmann
2011-07-22, 07:27 AM
How I handle it?

I roll up a Samurai/Gunslinger gestalt!

That's how I handle it.

marcielle
2011-07-22, 07:30 AM
Iajutsu focus+Pistols+TwoWeaponFighting= High Noon Showdown of AWESOME

Cieyrin
2011-07-22, 08:33 AM
Iajutsu focus+Pistols+TwoWeaponFighting= High Noon Showdown of AWESOME

Except Iaijutsu Focus only works with melee weapons. Otherwise, I look forward to at least the Gunslinger, as I made a Gunslinger guide for the preview, which is still in my sig. I'd like to see what changes they make, though I hadn't noticed much in terms of firearms in the Inner Sea Guide. At least there's a revolver now, which may help with having alternatives to Signature Deed(Lightning Reload) now...

FMArthur
2011-07-22, 08:41 AM
Except Iaijutsu Focus only works with melee weapons. Otherwise, I look forward to at least the Gunslinger, as I made a Gunslinger guide for the preview, which is still in my sig. I'd like to see what changes they make, though I hadn't noticed much in terms of firearms in the Inner Sea Guide. At least there's a revolver now, which may help with having alternatives to Signature Deed(Lightning Reload) now...

Actually, Iaijutsu Focus only works after you draw a melee weapon. Guns with bayonets for example you could draw and get Iaijutsu Focus damage on shots fired. I think Dungeonscape has rules for bayonets or similar attachments. Alternatively, you could draw a separate melee weapon after you've already got the gun out and as long as attacking is the first thing you do after drawing the melee weapon, you could get the damage.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-22, 08:45 AM
I would take a level of Gunslinger for touch attack ranged attack and make gunslinger/rogue/wizard/arcane trickster with two pistols and weapon cords.

9mm
2011-07-22, 08:48 AM
tepidly interested; though Paizo's utter lack of wanting to respond and address feedback has finally gotten to me. I fully expect this to be more Complete Warrior than ToB, an occasional good idea hamstrung by idiot mechanics surrounded by total noob-trap crap. Also I'm betting even odds there will be spells in the book.

Larpus
2011-07-22, 08:58 AM
In my DM's own world, Orcs are the "japanese race", they have plenty interaction with the other races, but are xenophobic (so are the 'humans') and maintain their culture unaltered, similar to Japan itself in the early years of interaction with the west.

Greenish
2011-07-22, 09:14 AM
I think Dungeonscape has rules for bayonets or similar attachments.Complete Adventurer has the crossbow bayonets, I seem to recall.

Lastgrasp
2011-07-22, 09:20 AM
tepidly interested; though Paizo's utter lack of wanting to respond and address feedback has finally gotten to me. I fully expect this to be more Complete Warrior than ToB, an occasional good idea hamstrung by idiot mechanics surrounded by total noob-trap crap. Also I'm betting even odds there will be spells in the book.

There will be spells in the book! Their adding more alchemist discoveries which I'm excited about. Alchemist might not be the most powerful class in the game but the class oozes flavor.

Larpus
2011-07-22, 09:24 AM
There will be spells in the book! Their adding more alchemist discoveries which I'm excited about. Alchemist might not be the most powerful class in the game but the class oozes flavor.
And with just that you made me want this book.

Considering the name of the book I expect these discoveries to revolve more around the melee Alchemist, which quite honestly seems to be quite good already.

Cieyrin
2011-07-22, 09:32 AM
Complete Adventurer has the crossbow bayonets, I seem to recall.

Both wrong, Complete Scoundrel has bayonets. Adventurer has long axes and broadblade shortswords.

subject42
2011-07-22, 10:59 AM
Well, I really never have a Ninja/Samurai in a western

After watching this movie, I can understand why:

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2010/11/the-warriors-way_new-poster2.jpg

Luckmann
2011-07-22, 12:35 PM
Actually, Iaijutsu Focus only works after you draw a melee weapon. Guns with bayonets for example you could draw and get Iaijutsu Focus damage on shots fired. I think Dungeonscape has rules for bayonets or similar attachments. Alternatively, you could draw a separate melee weapon after you've already got the gun out and as long as attacking is the first thing you do after drawing the melee weapon, you could get the damage.See, this got even more awesome.

Samurai/Gunslinger with GUNBLADES! :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2011-07-22, 12:38 PM
With Ultimate Combat coming out in a couple of weeks, how do you handle guns, ninjas, & samurai in your campaign? For me I like to keep Ninjas & Samurai to their own region and have little or no interaction. Well, I really never have a Ninja/Samurai in a western fantasy game. Do you mix & match them in your campaign?

I habndle it with refluffing.
Just because it is called a Ninja/gunslinger/Samurai's by Players, doesn't mean the world/Characters do.

Ninja are Shadow Warriors (using illusion/Shadow magic to boost their combat abilities. And lo and behold, that is exactly what the Ninja archetype/alternative does)

LansXero
2011-07-22, 01:21 PM
I have a problem with how are speed enchantments supposed to work with muskets (ammunition is troublesome) but from what was tried by my group, Ninja is really nice and a step above rogue, and the Gunslinger may be a little bit OP, with touch armor letting them auto-hit most of the time, but very fun :D

Akal Saris
2011-07-22, 04:34 PM
Eh, I just drop them right into the world. PF already has guns, ninjas, and samurai, its just that now they each have their own class instead of being 'ranged fighter,' 'ftr/rogue,' and 'refluffed cavalier.'

Since the game I'm running takes place in Korvosa, ninjas and samurai won't make an appearance, but the gunslinger will be a big part of the campaign. One PC is already a Gunmage from Iron Kingdoms, so I think there won't be many issues with the addition :smalltongue:

Anderlith
2011-07-22, 11:13 PM
I'm so excited the book with have rules for airships as well. I'll be using both guns & airships in my campaign. & I'm looking forward to the Alchemist build that turns you into beasts.