PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat

Otherworld Odd
2011-07-21, 11:17 PM
Scouring these forums, I can't seem to find an MK thread. Of course, search brings up a short-lived one but it doesn't seem to be on here. Has the forum been purged lately? Not sure. But, I'm starting up a new one, and here it is! I'm an avid player of MK and a member of the TYM community as well so I love to promote this game and help new players as well as discuss random stuff about the game, movies, etc.

I play Kabal and Quan Chi mainly.

What do you guys think of the new 4th DLC character?

Freddy Kruger. Seriously.

I think he could be fun. I personally believe he's a nice fit in the MK universe and definitely doesn't feel very out of place to me despite the fact that he's a guest character. I think I'm going to give him a try.

Edit: BTW, try to keep it rated T for the forums.

Psyren
2011-07-21, 11:43 PM
I mad bro. I totally mad. PS3 gets Kratos and I get zip. :smallannoyed:

Also, the X-Ray attacks are beautiful the first time you see them, but they get old fast, and break immersion far worse than bones. (I stabbed you in both eyes and broke your neck! Now walk it off!) And no Friendships make me sad.

Other than that stuff it's my favorite MK so far, even surpassing MK2 now. Meaty roster. Gorgeous graphics. No wonky/arbitrary 3D. No lazy/lame "Kreate-a-Fatality." M rating. A "super-meter" that actually works. A halfway decent story mode. Co-op Arcade mode. And they ditched so much dead weight (Ashrah? Nitara? Shujinko? DEAD! YAY!)

I do miss Havik though :smallfrown:

Otherworld Odd
2011-07-21, 11:57 PM
I mad bro. I totally mad. PS3 gets Kratos and I get zip. :smallannoyed:

Also, the X-Ray attacks are beautiful the first time you see them, but they get old fast, and break immersion far worse than bones. (I stabbed you in both eyes and broke your neck! Now walk it off!) And no Friendships make me sad.

Other than that stuff it's my favorite MK so far, even surpassing MK2 now. Meaty roster. Gorgeous graphics. No wonky/arbitrary 3D. No lazy/lame "Kreate-a-Fatality." M rating. A "super-meter" that actually works. A halfway decent story mode. Co-op Arcade mode. And they ditched so much dead weight (Ashrah? Nitara? Shujinko? DEAD! YAY!)

I do miss Havik though :smallfrown:

Yeah, I do wish they would have given xbox an exclusive. I also wish they would have ditched the idea of Freddy and put in a MK character (Havik, Raiko, Tanya, idc) but I feel like it may have been forced on them by parent-company WB. I totally agree with x-rays breaking the immersion in the game. It think it would be better if they took a more SF approach to the ultras instead of sticking to hit-cinematic-lots of damage. Get some variety in there! Give Shang a huge fireball like Dhalsim or something. Maybe in the next MK game they'll do an option to pick between two ultra type moves like they do in SF. 4 players is really what sold me on this game, it's amazingly fun with four people.

GoblinArchmage
2011-07-22, 01:59 AM
It is quite a good game. Some of the fatalities are kind of lame, like Shang Tsung's parody of the Joker's fatality from the T rated DC crossover. I got the reference and it was funny the first time, but I would have liked something else. His second fatality is cool, though, as are most of the others.

For some reason, the online play has bee really laggy for me. I don't know if it's my connection or just the PSN.

I also just want to point out that I get paranoid when ever I go to the Krypt. That thing that follows you around and suddenly appears out of nowhere scares the crap out of me.

Otherworld Odd
2011-07-22, 09:00 AM
I agree w/ the Shang fatality. I don't see why they made that his primary one. It was funny the first time but then meh...

I think that Krypt thing only pops out once if I recall correctly. Of course I could be wrong.

The online play being laggy is due to a netcode problem Netherrealms has but they're apparently trying to fix it. It's improved dramatically for me since the release though.

Winthur
2011-07-23, 10:43 PM
I have no friends to play Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 with and people tease me about this pretty good new game which is really good indeed, blah to that.

Devixer
2011-07-25, 12:09 AM
I think it's a pretty great game, overall. I don't like the X-Rays as much as I thought I would, and a few Fatalities are pretty lame, but I like the actual fight system, and it's a lot of fun with friends.

I'm on the fence with Freddy Kreuger. I think he could be very fun to play as, but I'm just not entirely sure.

Psyren
2011-07-25, 08:47 AM
Just what Mortal Kombat needed, roasted pedophile.

His fatalities look extremely lame too. I locked you in an oven! Lol! Then I pulled you down into a giant zit! LOLOL

BooNL
2011-07-27, 09:11 AM
I like the new MK. It's a huge improvement over MKvsDC. The fights run a lot smoother and the gore is always nice.

I absolutely loathe the X-ray attacks though. I wish there was an option to turn them off. Against friends it's not a problem, you can always decide not to use them. Online and vs the computer though...

If I have to watch Jade jab her staff in my crotch one more time I'll have to tear my own eyes out. I don't understand why they made such an apparent huge part of the game so dull. At least put a couple of variations in there...

Airk
2011-07-27, 10:16 AM
I like the new MK. It's a huge improvement over MKvsDC. The fights run a lot smoother and the gore is always nice.

Saying something is a "huge improvement over MKvsDC" is like saying "I'm enjoying myself more than I was last week, when I was jamming toothpicks under my toenails."

I absolutely loathe the X-ray attacks though. I wish there was an option to turn them off. Against friends it's not a problem, you can always decide not to use them. Online and vs the computer though...

If I have to watch Jade jab her staff in my crotch one more time I'll have to tear my own eyes out. I don't understand why they made such an apparent huge part of the game so dull. At least put a couple of variations in there...

That said, I find this perplexing. These are basically the same as super moves in other games, where each character generally only has one. What is it about them that bothers you? The duration?

BooNL
2011-07-28, 06:31 PM
Saying something is a "huge improvement over MKvsDC" is like saying "I'm enjoying myself more than I was last week, when I was jamming toothpicks under my toenails."

Meh, MKvsDC was nice for the novelty, it just felt so slow. I do like their Sub Zero a bit more though, Tomestone Teleport was a nice ability.

That said, I find this perplexing. These are basically the same as super moves in other games, where each character generally only has one. What is it about them that bothers you? The duration?

Mostly the duration yeah. The fact that it goes into ultra-slowmo is what annoys me most. By the 3th time you know how much damage it does and you know exactly what the move looks like. At least the supers of other games go a bit faster.

Also, the fact that they're so easy to use bothers me as well. I'd rather they have a more unique move combination than L2+R2.

Psyren
2011-07-29, 08:34 PM
I love them. And honestly you shouldn't be saving up your super for them every time anyway, judicious use of enhanced specials works out to more damage. (Particularly since several enhanced specials carry status effects, making them easy to chain from.)

Zevox
2011-07-30, 03:20 PM
And honestly you shouldn't be saving up your super for them every time anyway, judicious use of enhanced specials works out to more damage. (Particularly since several enhanced specials carry status effects, making them easy to chain from.)
Depends on the character there. For instance, as Sub-Zero you aren't going to get all that much off his enhanced specials - you could maybe go for enhanced ice blast or ice puddle to have a better chance of catching your opponent with one of those outside a combo, but you won't get much off of it, and there's no substantial benefit to using any of his enhanced specials inside a combo. His X-Ray, meanwhile, does nice damage, comes out fast, has nice range, and is easy to combo into.

Now with Cyrax, on the other hand, his enhanced bombs make his X-Ray look like a joke. Getting his combos up close to 50% with those is pretty easy, while his X-Ray is one of the lowest-damage ones in the game, and not very easy to combo into either. If you're using his X-Ray, you're definitely wasting meter.

Zevox