PDA

View Full Version : Elan as template.

aazru
2011-07-22, 02:21 AM
As Necropolitan only you become an Elan/psionic aberration instead of undead. Broken? Abusable? Worth it?

Silva Stormrage
2011-07-22, 02:30 AM
Um wait, so you lose a level, for minus two cha? The only possible benefit I could see from this is so that spell casters have the aberration subtype. The Infinite lifespan won't come up in most games.

Really don't see it as overpowered, don't see the need for it really. What do you need from Elan that you can't get from other templates.

Also I believe the fluff of Elan's is that they are created or something? I am unclear about their fluff to be honest so someone else will need to clarify.

Edit: Whoops forgot about Elan's resiliency abilities. Ya for a psionic character that would be really strong since its effectively for free. Why not just start as an Elan?

Cog
2011-07-22, 06:16 AM
Elan is already a plenty strong race. It doesn't need you to keep other racial benefits too.

Eldan
2011-07-22, 06:37 AM
Could be made LA +1. I think that could be considered bablanced.

From the fluff, they always struck me more as a template than a race anyway.

Fouredged Sword
2011-07-22, 07:04 AM
I tend to think that Elan as an racial template that requires you to loose all character levels would be interesting. It would basicly restrict them to character creation, but it would be neet to have a spattering of imortal beings running around. It never made sence to me that the elan prosses only worked on humans.

Make it a template that does the following.
Change type - gain the subtype (Psionic)
Stat modification -2 cha. (aloof and un atached due to imortality)
Naturaly Psionic - gain one power point
Elan powers - gain the psoinic abilities of a elan.

Removeing the aberation type removes the alter self abuse. -2 cha is a hit to stats offsets the powers.

mootoall
2011-07-22, 07:18 AM
Elan template: +4 Cha, -2 Int, -2 Wis. Gain a continuous Foresight effect, but only when related to dramatically appropriate occurrences. Gain the ability to Inspire Competence as a bard of your level, but only to those who you love when they are in dire need. Develop a father who controls an evil empire within 1d4 comic arcs. LA +4

aazru
2011-07-22, 07:21 AM
I feel you need some back story of this :P
Throughout history appear Elans. There are tails about some before the transformation but mostly they are tracked after it.
Facts: select individuals were transformed(first gen). Some were born to Elan mothers(second gen). First gen had various impact on history. Second gen usually just mentioned by the fact of birth or disappearance.
Quest: 1 - How to transform. Eternal life without suckage of undeath(taste of coffee in the morning is worth a lot for some) is a temptation for some PCs and many npcs :) 2 - What happened to the second gen? First gen is still present but no trace of their offspring.
We are arguing how to handle it if we players will want to try it. IMHO the Necropolitan way is the optimal, Elans are good but not worth that +1. I'm asking for a RAW view on it.

Retech
2011-07-22, 07:40 AM
Elan template: +4 Cha, -10 Int, -10 Wis. Gain a continuous Foresight effect, but only when related to dramatically appropriate occurrences. Gain the ability to Inspire Competence as a bard of your level, but only to those who you love when they are in dire need. Develop a father who controls an evil empire within 1d4 comic arcs. LA +4

Fixed that for you

Yuki Akuma
2011-07-22, 08:04 AM
Fixed that for you

Hahahah yeah, Elan's a total dumbass, right?

:smallannoyed:

hamishspence
2011-07-22, 08:07 AM
From the fluff, they always struck me more as a template than a race anyway.

4E Psionic Power handles them that way- you can have elven elans, dwarven elans, and so on.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-22, 08:12 AM
Fixed that for you

Not, it was fine as it was.