PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Agitable Knight - Feasible character concept?

Zejety
2011-07-22, 05:35 AM
Hi!
I'm very new to D&D and 3.5-likes and still have a hard time evaluating the mechanical efficiency of characters.

I was browsing through the Pathfinder classes from the Core rules and APG looking for an interesting (mechanically and fluff-wise) multiclass combination.
What I came up with is a Cavalier with a few levels of Barbarian(Mounted Fury).

Fluff-wise, it would be a noble knight with a very short temper, think a nicer Gregor Clegane (from A Game of Throne). Noone says that Cavaliers have to be mannerly ^^

From an optimization standpoint, I expect the Mounted Fury and a few well-selected rage powers to complement the combat style of the Cavalier nicely. That extra 10 feet movement speed alone already sounds pretty solid.

Fluff-wise and mechanically, I also like the thought of a raging barbarian challenging someone to a duel. :smallsmile:

But before pursuing the concept in more detail, I want to receive some feedback on its feasibility.
Some more information: PF Core Rules and APG only
The group mostly consists of characters inspired by Treantmonk-style guides, but I don't expect them to be played and equipped in an optimized-manner.
I'm aware that the character will be severly hampered in places where he can't bring his mount. But that's a problem with the Cavalier in general, isn't it?
Please don't give too much advice on feats and other details, because after following a guide for my last character, I want this one to be "mine".

TLDR: Is Cavalier/Barbarian a sound concept?

Xiander
2011-07-22, 06:24 AM
First my view on the mechanics side.
If you are not playing in a group focused heavily on optimization, i expect you should have no problems, as long as you don't pick completely useless feats and rage powers.
In my experience it is hard to completely fall behind unless you do not optimize at all, while the other players optimize with all their might.
In short: You'll probably be fine, as the classes do add something to each other.

As for character concept i think it's a fine concept with a little work and a lot of enthusiasm, it will make for a really fun character.

I say go for it.