PDA

View Full Version : Imperious Command magic item

Callum
2011-07-22, 09:12 AM
How much would you suggest as a cost for adding the ability of the Imperious Command feat to a breastplate of command (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#breastplateofCommand)?

Ernir
2011-07-22, 10:31 AM
Precedence from the Dark Blue Ioun Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones) suggests that a feat should be worth about 10k GP.

Personally? My first instinct is to just not allow it. My second is to take into account the feat's charisma prereq, its skill rank prereq, and the fact that Imperious Command is simply a much better use of a feat than Alertness before determining the price. A +5 armor enhancement, maybe?

Breastplate of Command costs 25400GP, and is a +2 breastplate, making the "of Command" thing cost 21400GP (minus the cost of the armor itself). A Breastplate of Imperious Command would then be priced as a +7 armor in addition to the Command special thing, making it worth 21400GP + 49000GP = 70400GP.

Or something like that. Still a bit of a gimme for high level fighter-types, maybe.

FMArthur
2011-07-22, 01:03 PM
In the very same book as Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark) there is the Fearsome armor property, which gives an Intimidate bonus and lets you demoralize as a move action. Google won't give me a straight answer on the price since Magic Item Compendium seems to have a different property with the same name, but maybe someone who has the book can look it up.

Anyway the point is that you can get someone to Frightened with this armor with what amounts to a full-round action. Getting someone to Cowering with a standard action should be at least twice as expensive as Fearsome armor, being basically two further stages of fear.

Ernir
2011-07-22, 01:15 PM
In the very same book as Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark) there is the Fearsome armor property, which gives an Intimidate bonus and lets you demoralize as a move action. Google won't give me a straight answer on the price since Magic Item Compendium seems to have a different property with the same name, but maybe someone who has the book can look it up.

Anyway the point is that you can get someone to Frightened with this armor with what amounts to a full-round action. Getting someone to Cowering with a standard action should be at least twice as expensive as Fearsome armor, being basically two further stages of fear.

The Fearsome armor enhancement from Drow of the Underdark only costs 5k GP.

Callum
2011-07-25, 08:13 AM
Thanks for your replies!

I think Ernir may be right in suggesting that it should just be disallowed. I do find the idea of a breastplate of imperious command quite appealing, though.

Darrin
2011-07-25, 09:43 AM
The Fearsome armor enhancement from Drow of the Underdark only costs 5k GP.

It was also published after the MIC, so it supercedes/replaces the MIC entry.

Amphetryon
2011-07-25, 09:50 AM
Precedence from the Dark Blue Ioun Stone suggests that a feat should be worth about 10k GP.

The cost of a feat varies wildly, depending on the feat, the sourcebook and - probably - the author. I believe Iron Will clocks in as the equivalent of about 3k GP, for instance.