PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Opinions on Horror Movies

Lord Loss
2011-07-22, 10:01 AM
Well, it's that time of year again, and I'm having my annual horror movie festival. I asked for some help choosing horror movies last year and you guys gave me great advice. I wound up with a batch of great movies and had a blast.

This year, I have a heap of horror movies I've never seen on my hands and I'm not sure which are good (or so bad they're good) and which aren't worth watching.

I have:

Dead Silence
Boogeyman 3
White Noise
White Noise 2
Mr. Jingles / 2 S.I.C.K
Devil's Ground / The Cycle
The Descent
The Last House on the Left (the new one)
Scream 2 (But one of my friends hasn't seen the first, although I own that one too)
The Last Exorcism
The Final Destination (the new one)
Grudge (seen it, but I love it so I might rewatch it)

What do you think of these movies? I'd like to know which to watch and which to avoid.

Thanks in advance, L.L

turkishproverb
2011-07-22, 03:57 PM
Most of those range from so bad it's good to so bad it's terrible.

Axolotl
2011-07-22, 04:12 PM
The Descent was pretty good from what I remember. I've not seen the rest so I can't comment.

Giggling Ghast
2011-07-22, 04:22 PM
The Descent is the best of the bunch.

The Grudge is a decent second choice.

Maker's Breath, they made a sequel to White Noise? Is there such a market for straight-to-video horror schlock that they will pick up any mediocre piece of crap?

turkishproverb
2011-07-22, 04:26 PM
The Descent is the best of the bunch.

The Grudge is a decent second choice.

Maker's Breath, they made a sequel to White Noise? Is there such a market for straight-to-video horror schlock that they will pick up any mediocre piece of crap?

Candlejack, you are exactly right abou

Starwulf
2011-07-27, 04:39 PM
Dead Silence: Good movie, has some nice creepy bits, loved the ending
Boogeyman 3: Liked the first, saw bits of the second(stupid), wouldn't waste my time on the third.
White Noise: Interesting enough. I preferred Pulse, which is somewhat similar.
White Noise 2: I likely wouldn't give this one a chance.
Mr. Jingles / 2 S.I.C.K: Never seen em
Devil's Ground / The Cycle: Never seen em
The Descent: Good one, I definitely enjoyed this one.
The Last House on the Left (the new one): This is a great movie, EXCEPT the rape scene. I'll never watch it again just because of that, it turns my stomach.
Scream 2 (But one of my friends hasn't seen the first, although I own that one too): I liked the original three screams, so I'll recommend watching all 3.
The Last Exorcism: Also a good movie, though if you've seen one "exorcism" movie, you've basically seen them all.
The Final Destination (the new one): It's Final Destination! No more really needs to be said, but just in case: They are all good.
Grudge (seen it, but I love it so I might rewatch it): And this...worries me. I consider the Grudge to be one of the worst horror movies of all time, and the sequel is even worse(I'm not sure how that's possible, but it is). If you enjoyed it, we might have VERY different tastes.

Lord Loss
2011-07-27, 05:53 PM
Thanks to everyone. We ended up watching The Descent, which was really awesome, although one of my friends found it to be too gory, Last House on the Left, which was good, but the rape scene was indeed distasteful and could have been excluded or left implied, with no impact on the sotry whatsoever.

We watched both Scream movies (1 and 2). I've seen all four and the second was, in my opinion one of the weaker installements. The first is in my all time favorite horror movies and I liked the third and fourth a lot, although I barely remember the third. The fourth was excellent, though.

I'm going to be watching the other movies over the next few days. I'm a huge fan of the Final Destination series and am eager to see the fourth installement.

I really don't know why I like Grudge. By all accounts, I should detest it. It's premise is stupid and ill-explained, the acting borders on terrible at times, it's predictable and quite cliché. And for some reason I can't help but have fun watching the movie. I think it's the monster, Kayako that does it for me.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-27, 05:56 PM
Most of those range from so bad it's good to so bad it's terrible.

But he didn't put an M. Night Shyamalan films on the list.

Definitely go with Trick r Treat. Great horror film.

Lord Loss
2011-07-27, 07:28 PM
But he didn't put an M. Night Shyamalan films on the list.

Definitely go with Trick r Treat. Great horror film.

Actually, Devil was one of the films I bought, but I watched it before the sleep-over. :smallbiggrin:

And I've been reccomended Trick r Treat by so many people and wanted to watch it so much and I can't find it anywhere. And it makes me sad. :smallfrown:

Cristo Meyers
2011-07-27, 08:17 PM
The Last House on the Left (the new one): This is a great movie, EXCEPT the rape scene. I'll never watch it again just because of that, it turns my stomach.

Once I heard about said scene, I pretty much stopped even acknowledging the movie's existence. Just disgusting.

Scream 2 (But one of my friends hasn't seen the first, although I own that one too): I liked the original three screams, so I'll recommend watching all 3.

I've heard the Scream series referred to as new classics, and to be honest, I have to agree. It just does so much right.

The Final Destination (the new one): It's Final Destination! No more really needs to be said, but just in case: They are all good.

And they're making another.

Personally I think only the first two are worth it, and the first is truly good. But hey, that's individual tastes for you. :smallwink:

I've also heard good things about Drag Me to Hell, but never actually got out to see it.

Lord Loss
2011-07-27, 08:32 PM
I've seen the second Final Destination and loved it, I never saw the first or third, though.

Drag Me to Hell is a hit or miss, love it or hate it movie. The end is predictable, but it's Sam Raimi at his finest (not as good as Evil Dead, or so I've heard, I've never seen those). It's not a very scary movie, but it's hilarious and, apart from the end, is very well executed and has a refreshingly simple premise.

Cristo Meyers
2011-07-27, 09:01 PM
I've seen the second Final Destination and loved it, I never saw the first or third, though.

I believe the first is an incredibly underrated movie. I haven't seen one since that could inspire suspense like it did.

The second lost some of the suspense, but kept the humor.

Drag Me to Hell is a hit or miss, love it or hate it movie. The end is predictable, but it's Sam Raimi at his finest (not as good as Evil Dead, or so I've heard, I've never seen those). It's not a very scary movie, but it's hilarious and, apart from the end, is very well executed and has a refreshingly simple premise.

That's what caught my interest. I prefer the older horror movies that didn't take themselves so seriously.

Lord Loss
2011-07-27, 09:08 PM
It certainly sounds like you'll enjoy Drag Me to Hell. It's made with older horror and a modern audience in mind, although I suspect the tailoring for today's market is what kept it from being a classic. It's good, one might even say great, but it's far from amazing and it's certainly not going to be talked about years from now.

I've been hearing extremely mixed things about Dead Silence, from "Everything the Silent Hill movie could have been", to "WORST MOVIE EVAR" and everything in between. What do you guys think of it?

WampaX
2011-07-30, 11:23 PM
I shall not judge your eclectic collection (as I own one myself), but in preparation for The Thing prequel (in theaters this October), I would recommend watching (or re-watching) the original remake, John Carpenter's The Thing.

I would also recommend the Howard Hawks Version, but that's more along the lines of 50's Sci-Fi than horror.