PDA

View Full Version : Extra Damage and Critical Multipliers

Vandicus
2011-07-22, 04:04 PM
I've heard a number of views on how critical hits interact with various forms of damage that have been added to an attack.

#1 Precision damage and bonus damage dice aren't multiplied

#2 Bonus damage dice aren't multiplied, but precision damage that isn't in the form of bonus dice is multiplied

#3 Damage titled as "extra damage" is not multiplied, all other forms of damage are, based on pg 140 of the PHB Sidebar: Critical Hits "Exception: Extra damage above a weapon's normal damage, such as that dealt by a sneak attack or the special ability of a flaming sword, is not multiplied when you score a critical hit."

So my question is, which one in your opinion is correct and why? I regularly DM a group and after seeing the third after a conversation with a player about whether or not craven damage is multiplied on a critical and decided to go with that.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-22, 04:10 PM
I am not sure what is correct, but in our group, if it came in the form of a flat number and not dice (aside from basic damage) and it didn't say precisely that it did not multiply on criticals, it multiplied on criticals.