PDA

View Full Version : Unforgotten Realms

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-22, 04:45 PM
Unforgotten Realms (http://www.urealms.com/content.php?150) is a D&D parody cartoon with really stupid humor that makes me giggle like an idiot until my stomach hurts. I love it. Seriously.

Crude swearing, stupid D&D jokes, and crappy animation have never been more mindlessly entertaining.

Hawriel
2011-07-24, 01:55 AM
A few years ago I ran year long campaign with a mostly new group of players several years younger than me.

Casting "detect magic" intaled a high squeeky voice.

Finding begger panties was epic.

And the druid had a rat named Pete.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-07-24, 07:15 AM
It's a good show, shame there are no new episodes at the moment.
I remember the original episodes back in about 2004 - the bad animation was part of what made the show.

The new(er) stuff is also great -more plot orientated and just as funny.

I once made HL player characters based on Sir. Schmoopy and Jacques (from the originals) a well as a Petey snark.

Knaight
2011-07-24, 07:36 AM
I enjoyed this show way too much a few years ago.

The phrase "a jack of all trades, no a Jacques of all trades" is still going strong as an in joke with several people in some of my nerdier social circles.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-24, 10:32 AM
It starts out funny, and then gets interesting as well as funny. The newer episodes are the best.

Erloas
2011-07-25, 12:01 PM
Did they do anything after they left theEscapist? I know they started on YouTube but I didn't watch it until they showed up on theEscapist, and then they left to make their own site and sell a DVD and I completely lost track of it after that.

Prime32
2011-07-25, 12:20 PM
Did they do anything after they left theEscapist? I know they started on YouTube but I didn't watch it until they showed up on theEscapist, and then they left to make their own site and sell a DVD and I completely lost track of it after that.I thought he started on Newgrounds. (http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/unforgottenrealms.html)

Flickerdart
2011-07-25, 01:17 PM
He started on Newgrounds, then made a remake for Escapist. The show got dull right after the original material ended - the decent humour was replaced with a lacklustre storyline, and the cartoon didn't benefit from it.

Cespenar
2011-07-25, 01:26 PM
He started on Newgrounds, then made a remake for Escapist. The show got dull right after the original material ended - the decent humour was replaced with a lacklustre storyline, and the cartoon didn't benefit from it.

Exactly my thoughts. It was like a deal with the devil. The guy apparently traded away his humor for a (relatively) better skill in animation.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-25, 09:23 PM
What's with the Unforgotten Realms "classic"? I haven't watched it, but it seems to have the same plot as the UR I know, but with worse animation. Can anyone explain?

Flickerdart
2011-07-25, 09:35 PM
Exactly my thoughts. It was like a deal with the devil. The guy apparently traded away his humor for a (relatively) better skill in animation.
The original was something he did for fun, while the latter was when UR became his full-time job. I guess he couldn't deliver the funny on a schedule and without the license to experiment? Also I suppose that the software switch had something to do with the quality of the animation - the new series are made with Anime Studio or something like that, whereas the old stuff is Flash.

What's with the Unforgotten Realms "classic"? I haven't watched it, but it seems to have the same plot as the UR I know, but with worse animation. Can anyone explain?
Not so much "plot" as the same jokes, which were recycled for the most part in the remake. Then there's the Christmas Special and Episode 90 Billions, which I don't believe were revisited.

Cespenar
2011-07-26, 04:31 AM
The original was something he did for fun, while the latter was when UR became his full-time job. I guess he couldn't deliver the funny on a schedule and without the license to experiment? Also I suppose that the software switch had something to do with the quality of the animation - the new series are made with Anime Studio or something like that, whereas the old stuff is Flash.

I don't know, I have seen some really good animations in Flash. So the software switch can't be the only excuse.