PDA

View Full Version : Antimagic Ray

Starscream
2011-07-22, 04:50 PM
I was skimming through Draconomicon and I noticed this spell. I'd seen it before, but never really read the description in detail. Seems fairly standard; an antimagic field you can shoot as a ray. Then I got to this part (emphasis mine):

If this spell is used against a creature, the target can’t cast
spells or can’t use supernatural or spell-like abilities, nor do
such abilities have any effect on the creature. However, the
creature can still use spell completion items (such as scrolls)
or spell trigger items (such as wands), even though it can’t
cast the spells required.
The spell doesn’t affect any objects other than the target
itself, even if those objects are worn, carried by, or in contact
with the target. For instance, if a creature is the target, its
equipment remains unaffected.

I had assumed that this spell was primarily for offensive use, as are most rays. You fire it at a magic user and it cripples them for a few rounds.

But now I think it has far more potential as a defensive buff. If you are a fighter, barbarian, or other melee class, the only magic you likely have on you most of the time is your equipment (and the occasional buff that lasts all day). This spell would provide maximum protection from magic, with minimal drawbacks.

There are risks, of course. This can be the only buff you have on you, as the others will be canceled out. And you'd better hope the guy who put it on you can dismiss it in a hurry if you need healing.

But if I were a beatstick going up against a spellcaster or highly magical monster and could request one buff, this might just be it. Depending on DM interpretation, it might even protect you from all damage from summoned creatures and incorporeal undead (they would arguably wink out when touching you). And while spells that create a mundane effect (the ever popular Orb line for instance) would probably still work, the wording is vague and just says that spell in general can't affect you.

I could even see some players arguing that magic weapons shouldn't apply their enhancement bonuses against you, since while the sword can hit you, the magic can't.

So Playground, have any of you ever explored the potential defensive uses of this spell before? How did you or your DM interpret the effects?

Glimbur
2011-07-22, 05:59 PM
Spell Compendium has a newer version of Antimagic Ray. It still has the wording which defends against spells, SLA's, and Su abilities. It is important to have a method of flight which doesn't just cast Fly on you, but if that hurdle is cleared (Dragonborn, Raptoran, etc) then it's worth considering. I am leery due to the round/level duration though.

It would be amusing to ignore breath weapons because you have been anti-magic'd. But the teeth/claws/tail/wing/etc of the dragon could still hurt you, and now it's harder to teleport you away. A double edged sword, but interesting.

Psyren
2011-07-22, 07:40 PM
Interesting idea, and I think it does work the way you describe (shutting off a creature's magic but not its gear.) Could be very useful on a ToB class as it does not turn off Ex abilities (read: most maneuvers.)