PDA

View Full Version : (SD) The greatest foes.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-22, 08:23 PM
Within moments of a disorienting flash of light, as is common with teleportation, you appear in your bedroom, exactly as you remember it. Thougn your teleportation does cause the maid whom is passing through to jump.
GACK!! Oh my, my lord...you startled me.

Zaydos
2011-07-23, 08:10 AM
Send for paper, 6 sheets at least, and a pen, Baron Azar commands, looking about his room, and settling into his desk, I have letters of import to write.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-23, 09:26 AM
Erhm, yes sir. With all due haste. She exclaims, walking out of the room. Your desk is how you remember it. An inkwell to your left, quill to your right, and a piece of pure Orichalcum the size of a wood chip, enclosed in a brick of glass adorned to your right. Highly valuable, although suprisingly disporportionately heavy concerning its size.

After two minutes a servant returns with several sheets of paper in their hands in front of them. He hands them to you. Here you are milord.

Zaydos
2011-07-25, 12:39 AM
((forgot to subscribe tot he thread :smallredface:))

He writes six letters saying:

Today, on the 28th of Day's Atrophy, 3128 AG, a many-colored dragon, similar in appearance to a prismatic spell, attacked the city of Holtz in the kingdom of Maridia. It claimed to be serving a master whose tomb was beneath the city. It showed powers on par with those one would expect from a wyrm dragon of the common varieties, surviving a series of blows that could have been expected to vanquish even one such as those. Its claims included that it was the perfect form, from which other dragons were inferior and ill-shaped descendants, and it claimed that its master was the Spectral Dragon, experimented upon and imprisoned beneath that township. I believe that it is my responsibility to inform you of these events, so that you may begin whatever preparations are necessary as, although the dragon was defeated, I do not believe that this will remain an isolated incident. In fact I believe if there was one attempt, there will be more and whatever forces can contain such a power as the Spectral Dragno should be alerted lest it wreak untold havoc on the world.

Sincerely
Baron Azar of Seacrest.

He will then address one message to each of: Lord Immaculate Hexctheizylnorkerrakan, the Archduke of Harbinger, the leaders of the Iron Citadel, the Khorrus Council, Duke Artyr (from his backstory), and to the dominion of Bahamut. Then seal each letter with wax and his signet ring.

He will then teleport to Harbinger.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-25, 02:43 PM
Harbinger is a massive city with a population of over one billion. To teleport to "Harbinger" could take you anywhere. You might end up just outside the city's platinum gates.

Make a knowledge check if you wanna go somewhere in particular.

Zaydos
2011-07-25, 09:40 PM
Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) [roll0] I'd like to get as close as possible to the Archduke's abode without being incinerated by magical wards.

Knowledge (Local) if N&R isn't appropriate [roll1]

And Lore since it covers everything [roll2]

Edit: I think that's Aujirlizzix's first nat 20 with the N&R.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-25, 10:04 PM
Oh rofl :smallbiggrin:

Roughly a thousand years before the Genesis, the Tarrasque of Emanacal was Awakened by a mage. The following years would be a lengthy pseudocrusade of penance as the now-sentient Tarrasque sought redemption for his past evils. Even though HE wasn't guilty per se, he still sought it out. After several decades, the Tarrasque acquired nobility status from Khorrus' predecessor nation, and he built the city of Harbinger under the rule of Archduke Araske. Over the millenia both before and after the Genesis. Needless to say, Archduke Araske, the Tarrasque Lord of Harbinger has done something right, because Harbinger is considered the unofficial Capital of Emanacal.

However, Archduke Araske in this day and age keeps to himself. He keeps his name secret, and keeps his true identity an even bigger secret. The truth that he is Emanacal (Alpha's) immortal Tarrasque would probably cause unwanted political turnoil.

You are somewhat familiar with several public spaces in the Ground and Elevus Supersection
Supersections are cross-sections of the city of Harbinger that vary according to elevation. Ground section refers to the Supersection at and slightly above ground level. Elevus is the section above Ground.
To your knowledge the Archduke's District is in the appropriately named Araske Supersection, which is a handful of supersections above the Elevus Supersection.

And...that's everything as best I can tell.

Zaydos
2011-07-25, 11:35 PM
Can I teleport to the Araske Supersection directly?

Emperor Ing
2011-07-26, 08:12 AM
Unfortunately you cannot. The Araske Supersection was DC 25 Local. DC 30 nets you a public place in any supersection :smalltongue:

When you choose to teleport to Harbinger, you figure the Elevus Supersection will get you closer.
With a simple breath, a flash of light, you find your surroundings have changed. The warm, humid air common with your County is replaced instantly with the cool, thick air of the unimaginably large city-state. The dim lights of your room is replaced with the dim lights as massive rectangular buildings stretch into the darkness below, stretching into an impossibly high abyss to your height. A massive metal jungle stretches ahead of you, dimming in response to the dusk. The sense of otherworldliness is broken by a dragon flying across the unnaturally lit cityscape.
Immediately ahead (and slightly below you) is a tavern, or rather, the Harbinger equivalent.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/EmperorIng/Scifiscene.jpg

Zaydos
2011-07-26, 11:27 AM
I'll start making my way to the Araske Supersection, my gold hidden in my bag of holding which is kept in an interior pocket on my left breast which should make it harder to reach and easier to see anyone going for it.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-26, 11:42 AM
Which way do you go? There's probably elevation pads that take you up, but the easiest thing to do is fly upward. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2011-07-26, 11:58 AM
I'm pretending to be human at the moment, and don't have magic to let me fly, so on foot.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-26, 12:07 PM
Behind you stretches a park bathed in a dim magical light that mimics the light given off the stars and the worlds. Planted trees stand in pointless competition against the metallic spire that looms over you and the whole park.

If you were to head to the upper levels (or lower if you wish) of Harbinger, it looks like the building the park rests upon would be the best way to get there.

Zaydos
2011-07-26, 12:13 PM
I go towards it, eyes alert. His shiftweave taking the form of a red shirt with gold embroidery and matching pants.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-26, 12:26 PM
You approach the building, it becoming larger and more intimidating the closer you come.
You enter through two doors, through a triangular passage, flanked on both sides by uniform lanterns containing bright white heatless flames. You come into a massive, absolutely massive cylindral room, lined on all sides by balconies overlooking the main floor, which you walk upon. A latticework of catwalks looms over as you make your way to what appears to be an elevation pad enclosed inside a stone cylinder directly ahead of you.

Zaydos
2011-07-26, 12:27 PM
Do I see anyone? If not I'll just move towards the elevation pad.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-26, 12:41 PM
You see a big amount of people. Very few on the ground level, a bunch weaving in and out through the catwalk latticework and the upper levels.

Zaydos
2011-07-26, 12:43 PM
Would I know if the elevation pad is public and free to all, and how its operation works?

Emperor Ing
2011-07-26, 12:52 PM
It's exposed, and as far as you can tell, it's public.

Spellcraft check if you wanna know how it works

As for operating it, it works like a modern day elevator. Press the button to summon the pad, press the button to go to a floor.

Zaydos
2011-07-26, 02:15 PM
I go into the elevator and go up to Araske level.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Emperor Ing
2011-07-26, 05:24 PM
The Elevation Pad functions with a continuous advanced Levitation effect that gives the pad its lift. A low level Illusion effect creates the interface that interacts with the levitation effect. It functions like a trap, except with harmless effects.

The elevation pad only goes up 50 numbered floors. The 51st one says Upper Supersection.

Zaydos
2011-07-26, 09:34 PM
I go to the Upper Subsection, unless I know the Araske layer is a different one.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-26, 09:39 PM
The Araske Supersection is above this one, but you have the feeling you'll need to continually go up.

Zaydos
2011-07-26, 09:44 PM
Then I'll go up.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-27, 09:55 PM
You feel a slight force pushing you down as the lift heads upwards. After a minute, you feel your weight lifted for a brief moment before leveling out. The cylindral walls of the lift are pried apart through an unseen force.
You come to see directly ahead of you a fair-aged human woman behind a desk, gesturing you to come to her.
Looking around, you see the lit room decorated with sigils you have seen before, you're quite certain the room is bathed in a Zone of Truth effect.

Zaydos
2011-07-28, 02:28 AM
I go to the woman, bowing my head slightly in respect for her age. One should always respect elders.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-28, 07:13 AM
You're looking at someone who's roughly 30 years old. Yep. Your elder. :smalltongue:

Good evening sir. She says casually. Welcome to the Upper Supersection. Sorry, but i'm gonna have to ask you some questions as to your business here.

Zaydos
2011-07-28, 09:42 AM
As you wish, Aujir says.

Seeing as how he's unsure whether he's the equivalent of 10 or 20, yep definitely his elder.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-28, 09:58 AM
Hmm. She remarks, her tone a bit pleased and suprised at your respect.
Well, i'll need your name and building code as well as what your business in the Upper Supersection is. You know, standard stuff.

Knowledge (Local) DC 15
Building Code is the Harbinger equivalent of an address. It's a series of seemingly random letters and numbers that tell you what supersection, building, floor, and apartment you reside in. Typically, a standard Harbingian is expected to memorize their code, though keeping a written note with it on your person until you memorize it is not an uncommon practice.

Since you're not a Harbingian this doesn't apply to you. She's assuming you are.

Zaydos
2011-07-28, 11:57 AM
Knowledge (Local) [roll0]

Will edit in response once I know if I made the DC 15.

I am Baron Azar of Seacrest. I do not have a building code, or know how I would obtain one, but I have a message I need delivered to the Archduke, it may be of grave import to the entire world.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-28, 01:09 PM
...huh. She muses. Can I see the letter?

Zaydos
2011-07-28, 04:36 PM
I show her the sealed letter. I believe it would be best to let the archduke see the information and decide whether it should become public himself.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-28, 05:08 PM
I see. So... she points to a large stone cylinder on the wall, which promptly opens to an elevation pad.
That should take you straight to the Araske District. Forgive me my lord but I cannot guarantee you will be able to meet with him immediately.

Zaydos
2011-07-28, 06:28 PM
Even if I am unable to meet with him, if I could meet with a courier able to deliver the message to him swiftly that would be very satisfactory, Baron Azar says bowing his head and stepping into the lift.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-29, 10:22 AM
The door closes as he steps on. An array of illusory buttons are visible, the most prominent being "TO ARASKE SUPERSECTION"

You feel your weight place a greater burden on you as the lift heads up. Your lift continues up. You notice above you a pint of light coming closer to you. You also notice a railing rise up to your human form's abdomen around you. The reason for this becomes clear as the pint of light surrounds you as your lift emerges out of the building, into the relatively more open supercityscape of Harbinger. For minutes, the air whistles past you as the lift continues upward, into the underbelly of another diagonally oriented portion of a building, into another cylinder.
More minutes of this, and you come to a stop. The cylinder opens into a rounded tunnel, and to another receptionist.

Zaydos
2011-07-29, 05:54 PM
I nod at her, and walk towards her, Excuse me, I have a message for the arch-duke, could you direct me to where I could go to have it delivered?

Emperor Ing
2011-07-29, 07:48 PM
Hm. She looks up at you, disinterested. She appears at least three times your age. Bureaucratic District. The Courier Corps are what you're looking for.
She directs you to the rounded tunnel.

Zaydos
2011-07-29, 09:08 PM
Thank you, Aujir says, heading in the indicated direction.

Would it be appropriate to give her a tip? If so how much would be normal, rich, extravagent, eccentric, and down right weird?
Knowledge (Local) [roll0]

Emperor Ing
2011-07-29, 09:44 PM
Unnecessary, though from what you know you're quite sure she may be overpaid.

You come to a uniquely designed door. It opens up automatically to your coming presence. Moving through it, it opens to an antechamber. You feel your weight adjust as the whole world feels as though it's going...sideways. By the time it's over, you're standing on the door you came through. The door now above you opens, and your senses are assaulted by something as bright as direct sunlight. You feel your weight lighten greatly, though it doesn't have the shifting feeling that the antechamber had during rotation. You figure it's best to just jump out, which you do. As your feet slip through the threshold, the door seals shut. Gravity strengthens, and you land on your feet onto the door.
Immediately around you is this.

http://ui22.gamespot.com/981/thecitadel_2.jpg
Welcome to the Araske Supersection, Bureaucratic District. The administrative capital of the capital of the world.

Zaydos
2011-07-29, 09:53 PM
I begin to look for the courier corps.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-29, 09:54 PM
Search or Gather Info

Zaydos
2011-07-29, 09:56 PM
That's a no brainer

Gather Information: [roll0]

Emperor Ing
2011-07-30, 10:36 PM
You find a wall. Not just any wall. A wall with a drawn-on arrow! The arrow has writing on it! Using your charisma and charm, you goad a passerby into reading it for you, even though you're perfectly capable of reading Common.
It points you in the direction of the Ambassador's Bar.

Zaydos
2011-07-30, 10:45 PM
Azar walks towards the Ambassador's Bar in the determined stride of one used to command.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-31, 05:34 PM
Walking in, you find a beautiful, clearly high-end drinking establishment.
Knowledge (Architecture DC 20)
The building's interior uses a perplexing combination of Elven curve asthetics and that unique Harbingian pseudo-utilitarian design. All in all, it's a very eye-pleasing place to look at.
You see several members of humanoid races, mostly human, all dressed in pleasant-looking yet formal outfits.
The bartender (Human Male) doesn't look too bad either.
Good evening, stranger. Don't think i've seen you before.

Zaydos
2011-07-31, 08:56 PM
((Can I use Lore in place of Kn (A & E)?))

I have not come here before, Baron Azar says, As I have not previously had need to have a letter delivered, quickly, to the noble arch-duke.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-31, 11:22 PM
((Sure, but at a higher DC (30)))
Oh wow? To the Archduke himself? If you don't mind me asking, what's it about? Diplomatic incident, External Hostilities, the return of ancient powers, or, no wait, it's one of those "I can tell you but then i'd have to kill you" things isn't it? Nevermind I asked. He rambles.
Anyways, the Courier Corps are what you're looking for right? Two levels down, as in straight down. You can't miss it.

Zaydos
2011-08-01, 06:15 AM
Thank you, Baron Azar says, then, Where would the nearest way down be?

Lore: [roll0]

Emperor Ing
2011-08-01, 01:18 PM
To your knowledge, this is unique architechture.
Go two doors straight that way he points and it's on your right. It's labeled so it's easy to find.

Zaydos
2011-08-01, 02:10 PM
Thank you, Azar says before following their instructions. If it is a lift like the one before he will go down two levels to reach the Courier Corps.

Emperor Ing
2011-08-01, 10:49 PM
Fortunately they are stairs.
Heading down, as directed, you see to your right, a C enclosed in a C surrounded by the wierd V shape of the emblem of Harbinger. You're quite sure that's the Courier Corps.

Zaydos
2011-08-02, 09:29 AM
Azar enters.

Emperor Ing
2011-08-02, 09:48 AM
You are now inside. It looks like a modern day post office.
And the baron will soon realize nothing's going to happen unless he does something.

((Speaking of which where's Xav?))

Zaydos
2011-08-02, 10:42 AM
((Come to think of it Xav was still searching for bodies in the ruins of town last I knew))

Are there lines or anyone available to talk to?

Emperor Ing
2011-08-02, 11:56 AM
There's a relatively short line. When you get to the guy behind the counter a half an hour later... Can I help you? He sounds disinterested.

((If you want you can get him to regroup with the guise. Otherwise, do you wanna continue the corpse hunt?))

Zaydos
2011-08-02, 01:35 PM
I have a message that must be sent, quickly, to the archduke of this fair city, Baron Azar says in his most commanding tone.

Diplomacy? [roll0]

((I just assumed he'd continue trying to rescue people))

Emperor Ing
2011-08-02, 02:58 PM
((I need to make an IC post anyway))

He looks pretty overwhelmed by the sheer amount of power and authority in your speech.
Uhm, yes sir.

Zaydos
2011-08-03, 10:47 AM
How quickly will it be sent, by what means, and at what cost?

Emperor Ing
2011-08-03, 11:04 AM
We hand-carry it to the Palace. Since...you seem like someone who has something important to say, I think we can get it to the palace in hours at the very most. We're gonna need 3 GP though.

Zaydos
2011-08-03, 11:07 AM
Do you also deliver messages to further locales? And if so by what means and at what speed?

Emperor Ing
2011-08-03, 01:47 PM
Well, yes we do. If it's urgent we can get it there in a few days at maximum.

Zaydos
2011-08-03, 10:23 PM
A few days would be as swift as possible? Unfortunate. Baron Azar muses, paying for, and giving them, the message to the archduke.

Emperor Ing
2011-08-03, 11:33 PM
Sorry milord, we're not miracle workers.

Zaydos
2011-08-03, 11:47 PM
What about teleportation?

Emperor Ing
2011-08-04, 09:29 AM
He looks at you bemusedly how many wizards capable of teleportation do you know go to work as a courier?

Zaydos
2011-08-04, 09:38 AM
It is always possible, or at least that there are those willing to do so. So be it, I will have to go deliver my other messages myself. Are there wards to prevent teleporting from here?

Emperor Ing
2011-08-04, 02:05 PM
Well, yes milord, there's a Warding Sphere surrounding the entire Bureaucratic District.
Warding Spheres are like antiteleport/antiscrying areas, except they only prevent teleporting/scrying on anything from the outside in or the inside out. Considering the size of the District though, it's horrifyingly large.

Zaydos
2011-08-04, 09:03 PM
Can you point me to the quickest path out of it, then?

Emperor Ing
2011-08-04, 10:12 PM
Hmm, the nearest exit is...three doors down that way, and keep going. He points respectively.

Zaydos
2011-08-05, 06:11 AM
Baron Azar will follow the instructions trying to get out of the business district as swiftly as possible.

Emperor Ing
2011-08-05, 08:55 AM
After a few minutes of travel, you find yourself standing over one of the trapdoors. It opens up, allowing you to hop inside. It feels like the room rotates as the other door directly opposite of you comes in front of you, then opens.
Once you step outside, you're free to teleport.

Zaydos
2011-08-05, 04:19 PM
I'll teleport to see Duke Artyr of Falligere ((one of the characters you had me describe as part of the 10 minute backstory))

Emperor Ing
2011-08-07, 03:54 PM
((well...umm, given that your backstory only makes mention of him, i'm gonna have to wing it, if that's alright.))

Zaydos
2011-08-08, 07:07 PM
((of course))

Emperor Ing
2011-08-08, 07:39 PM
You appear in a flash in front of a great stone castle. The banner of Duke Artyr of House Falligere blazing out in contrast to the weathered grey stone. It is as you remember. Beyond these walls the Lord of the Khallosian state of Falligere resides.

Immediately ahead of you is the bridge over a deep moat. From your memory, the moat is filled with sharpened rocks and deadly spires. The edge of the bridge is marked with armored guards, holding halberds upright.

Zaydos
2011-08-09, 05:49 PM
I hail the guards, seeing if I recognize either of them. If I do I will call them by name and say I have news to tell the duke, if I don't I will tell them that I am the Baron Azar come from Seacrest with news for the duke.

Emperor Ing
2011-08-09, 10:10 PM
The Duke's guards wear helmets with face-plates that conceal their features.

The guards direct you inside. Unfortunately they give no directions to the Duke.