PDA

View Full Version : a weird (?) char concept I just thought of.

Kenneth
2011-07-22, 09:38 PM
I was thinking of being a wizard who has an ever capabel familiar. Sor of like a druid animal companion.

SO I have a tiny hedgehog and say things liek " go for teh jugglah roota!!!!" and such like that.

Hwo would I go about doing this? I know there are specific spells that are capabel fo making my familar a bit more... intimidating and such.

I was thinking of mabe swapping out some bonus feats for gaining the druid animal companion advancement for my famialir but.. I am not sure that would be fair.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-22, 10:31 PM
First of all please, please for the love of Boccob at least TRY to proofread your messages.

As for ways to improve your familiar there are familiar specific feats your wizard can take to improve the familiar, but I doubt any sensible DM would let one act in the same way as a druids animal companion, they're simply not meant to do that. (And why would you want an attack hedgehog anyway? it's physical attacks are rubbish, better to use it to deliver touch spells for you then.)

Kenneth
2011-07-22, 10:48 PM
I guess you have never seen a real life hedgehog up close and in person. I have, in fact I have a bro/sis duo right now ( albinos). The can be very nasty and tempermental little creatures, when not actually cuddling or eating.

also here is what I feel about boccob.

I need to pint out that I am not looking for s ome kind fo super killer creature. I don't care if its natural attack are 'garbage' I see you do not understand the idea of a character concept. what that is basically is. I have an idea of a character and how i want to play that particular character irregardless of actual optimization, or even playability. (trustme I have done worse character concepts 'optimization wise' becuase i thought the idea was neat and wanted to try it out. some were indeed completely bogus, while others were actually decent and a couple managed to stand their ground against the other people in my party.

also thanks for giving me some ideas on how to go about this.

PS im from NC as well, what part you from?

BIGMamaSloth
2011-07-22, 11:16 PM
well if you don't care how playable it is, just get a hedgehog and have it attack stuff. You can't come asking for help of making it better and then complain when people try and help you.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-22, 11:17 PM
As someone who's been bitten by a hedgehog and ended up needing a whole two stitches I think I can safely say I've had enough experience with them. :p (Also the little buggers loves ham... sadly when the ham was out "hand" was a good substitute. XD)

And the Boccob comment was aimed at the fact that your opening post is very, very hard to make sense of due to the amount of typos in it, meaning it's also very hard to figure out what you're asking for. What I was able to read from it was that you wanted a familiar capable of physical attacks, progressing in much the same way as a druids animal companion. Yes that sounds like an optimization question to me, leading me to point out that hedgehogs would be rubbish to use as such, and no DM in their right mind would give a wizard access to a proper animal companion.

But clearly that's not what you were asking, so now I admit to not knowing quite what you want to know, but as I said there are feats to improve familiars (or even replace them if you want something cooler. :p), I THINK quite a few of them are in the complete mage and complete arcane, I know there's not many in the PBH anyway. ( http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/index.html you can just search that site for familiar related feats, it has more or less all the 3.5 feats.)

But if it's mainly fluff see if you can get your familiar to be able to speak (or just grab a raven) and keep in mind that familiars are quite a bit more powerful than normal creatures, basing most of their stats of of their masters character level in some form or another. So if it's mostly fluff and for fun you might not need to sink feats into improving the familiar, but the option does exist of course.

As for where I'm from, I'm near High Point, recently moved here from Sweden, you?

(PS: Character concepts... considering I have plans to play a tiefling paladin at some point if I can find a DM that could run a campaign that would let such a character actually be interesting, I don't exactly go for the most optimized options all the time either, I just honestly read your question as an optimization related one.)

Redshirt Army
2011-07-22, 11:22 PM
Isn't there a feat (Wild Cohort, IIRC) that gets you what is essentially an animal companion? If you really want to keep your hedgehog viable in combat, you could refluff an animal companion option (it'd be a pretty big hedgehog though :smalltongue:).

Tvtyrant
2011-07-22, 11:23 PM
There is an alternate familiar that is a hedgehog, but I am AFB right now and cannot find it for you.

Kenneth
2011-07-22, 11:33 PM
well if you don't care how playable it is, just get a hedgehog and have it attack stuff. You can't come asking for help of making it better and then complain when people try and help you.

yes because saying how a hedgehog's natural atatcsk are garbage is completely within the definition of 'help' and if you took the time to actually read my original post, or my 2nd post even I think.. Youd see what I wanted from this character concept help.

and YES thank you soo much redshirt amry. that is exactly what I was looking for. time for my wizard to be all scary when he sends in his familair hedgie to kill foes and get teh girls ( because i have found when out and about with my own hedgies that there is alwasy a flock of females surroduign me cooing and ahhing over what ever my hedges do.. even if it is bite my finger tip...)

time to wild cohort my hedgie up so they can use their super ability 'defensive ball curl' which is really all my hedgie would do, unless it was some type fo bug or snake like creature, or anything remotely close to its size.

PS i live in franklin, originally from Ohio. and a good friend of mine played a tiefling paladin in one of my campaigns he went the whole 'im born of evil so i will be going out of my way to prove that I am good' route.