PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors--Suggestions?

TonyTron
2011-07-22, 09:51 PM
I'm about to do my first play through of Tomb of Horrors and was wondering if anyone had any character design suggestions. Class? Race? Etc... ANYTHING helpful! We're starting at level 9, but that's all I know... :smallconfused:

Vandicus
2011-07-22, 10:03 PM
Max search, be careful, use full trapfinding (for non-rogues) gear: magnets, ten foot poles, ball bearings, etc. and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING WITH YOUR HANDS! If there's anything that seems like it needs to be touched or investigated, use a summon.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-22, 10:06 PM
Distract your DM while another player knocks them out with a rulebook/sack of dice?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-22, 10:09 PM
Don't charge to break a door. Your momentum will carry you into the lava pit.

No joke, I saw this in a PbP one-shot for it that I didn't get in.

Vandicus
2011-07-22, 10:12 PM
Actually at that level... If you really want to survive, become a Necrocarnate(Magic of Incarnum) boost your saves, hp, and regen with the right feats, and persuade someone else to be the trapmonkey. Its still very possible to die even as the Necrocarnate in Tomb of Horrors, so let everyone else do the trapfinding and kill the monsters as fast as possible.

Zale
2011-07-22, 10:27 PM
Distract your DM while another player knocks them out with a rulebook/sack of dice?

Should I bring my pillaging shovel or my extra-large shovel?

:smallbiggrin:

TonyTron
2011-07-22, 10:48 PM
gear: magnets, ten foot poles, ball bearings, etc. and [U]DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING WITH YOUR HANDS!

I'm familiar with the Ten-Foot pole, but the magnets and ball bearings don't seem to be in the manual. Use examples?

Vandicus
2011-07-22, 10:51 PM
I'm familiar with the Ten-Foot pole, but the magnets and ball bearings don't seem to be in the manual. Use examples?

Ball bearings include any round small metal balls the GM will let you have. Its useful to detect slants in the floor and some subtle illusions.

Magnets(I personally like to attach them to wooden poles) will give you a draw towards anything made of metal and help to retrieve the ball bearings without stepping into areas that haven't been thoroughly searched.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-22, 11:30 PM
Should I bring my pillaging shovel or my extra-large shovel?

:smallbiggrin:
Extra large, more mass=more sleepy time.:smalltongue: