PDA

View Full Version : An Evil Druid + Druid Building Help

hobbitkniver
2011-07-22, 10:29 PM
I'm a bit sick of the motherly/fatherly protector of nature archetype, so I'm making a druid that will be very different. Probably a Malarite unless there's any other god that fits the bill better. Does Alignment change anything about druids like it does for clerics? Are there spells I can't take? Are there any good animal companions I can't use? Basically, will this majorly affect my character mechanically?

Vizzerdrix
2011-07-22, 10:31 PM
Nope.

(filler text!)

hobbitkniver
2011-07-22, 10:35 PM
Would this prohibit me from having a Unicorn (Always chaotic Good) as my companion?

Vandicus
2011-07-22, 10:37 PM
I seem to recall that even races with the always alignment designator have 5% of members who are otherwise. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

hobbitkniver
2011-07-22, 10:39 PM
If theres an easy template to make it evil with minimum LA, that'd be cool too.

TehLivingDeath
2011-07-22, 10:42 PM
Well the typical Druid isn't quite good, he's neutral. An evil Druid will be just as likely to protect nature as a good one since it's his home and source of power.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-22, 10:43 PM
Would this prohibit me from having a Unicorn (Always chaotic Good) as my companion?

Well, not except for the fact that it isn't an animal. And fluff-wise it makes no sense at all, of course.

aquaticrna
2011-07-22, 10:46 PM
i have a druid that i'm playing right now that is leaning pretty hard to the evil side... he follows more of a all civilizations are bad because they aren't natural, therefore cities must be destroyed... nothing quite like walking through a town with a tornado force control winds running while control weather is raging a storm all over the place.

hobbitkniver
2011-07-22, 10:51 PM
Well, not except for the fact that it isn't an animal. And fluff-wise it makes no sense at all, of course.

I thought I was reading somewhere about using unicorns for their healing spells, but I may be wrong.

i have a druid that i'm playing right now that is leaning pretty hard to the evil side... he follows more of a all civilizations are bad because they aren't natural, therefore cities must be destroyed... nothing quite like walking through a town with a tornado force control winds running while control weather is raging a storm all over the place.

Well, Malarites are pretty much cruel hunters of the weak and defenseless for sport. Pretty much evil as can be.

Midnight_v
2011-07-22, 10:55 PM
Once, my dm decided that he'd wanted us all to play elves and port us into from our game into his OTHER existing elf game that had lost a couple peeps due to real life stuff.
I didn't want to be an elf, because of the elf-fluff so I went another way completely and became an far realm druid. I was big into alternate nature etc, took abberation wildshape, and that was my biggest thing. Though as long as I didn't start any forest fires or anything like that, the druid "class" doesn't care really, so I found, no there really aren't any alignment/mechanical restrictions on the g/e axis. Which is kinda cool, I guess.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-22, 10:56 PM
The only way I can think of to get a Unicorn is to get exalted animal companion, which is a bit non-evil.

But if you are a Malarite, why do you want a unicorn? Ask your DM for a way to get a Black Unicorn. There are rumors that Malar had a hand in their creation, so definite lore bonus! They are in Monsters of Faerun. If you can't get them as an animal companion, ask how to summon one.

Another evil druid option is Silvanus. Evil druids of Silvanus unleash large, dangerous monsters on civilization to cull the weak and stop the spread of cities. That, and I imagine a few find it HILARIOUS.

Other gods include Talos, god of destruction. A good choice if you want to throw around lightning bolts and destroy things.

Umberlee is the goddess of the seas. Very flavorful and has wereshark minions. However, if you are not doing an ocean campaign, not a great choice.

Auril is much the same, as she is very cold based. Races of Faerun mention that the Sossrim worship a LN aspect of her. While this might not interest you for your character, it could make an interesting cover.

Talona is the goddess of disease and poison. If you intend to use a bunch of these, this is a good choice. I would get an animal companion with venom as soon as possible. I believe the Fleshraker might have a posion bite.

Moving out of the Faerun pantheon, we have Set, a god of snakes. Can he have druids? Either way, if you go into cold regions your summons might decide to take a nap. He is also Mulhorandi, which might be hard to justify.

Urdlen, the Crawler Below, is a gnome god of underground murder and destruction. Good if you want to go around being a rich hobo that destroys things and kills people.

If you are an elf, the Eldreth Veluthra is looking into ways to get druidic power without a god. There isn't a player option for this, but if it works with your campaign it might be worth asking your DM.

Good luck!

EDIT: Unicorns are mentioned because druids can summon them using Nature's Ally. Only animals work as animal companions without feats.

hobbitkniver
2011-07-22, 11:09 PM
The only way I can think of to get a Unicorn is to get exalted animal companion, which is a bit non-evil.

But if you are a Malarite, why do you want a unicorn? Ask your DM for a way to get a Black Unicorn. There are rumors that Malar had a hand in their creation, so definite lore bonus! They are in Monsters of Faerun. If you can't get them as an animal companion, ask how to summon one.

Another evil druid option is Silvanus. Evil druids of Silvanus unleash large, dangerous monsters on civilization to cull the weak and stop the spread of cities. That, and I imagine a few find it HILARIOUS.

Other gods include Talos, god of destruction. A good choice if you want to throw around lightning bolts and destroy things.

Umberlee is the goddess of the seas. Very flavorful and has wereshark minions. However, if you are not doing an ocean campaign, not a great choice.

Auril is much the same, as she is very cold based. Races of Faerun mention that the Sossrim worship a LN aspect of her. While this might not interest you for your character, it could make an interesting cover.

Talona is the goddess of disease and poison. If you intend to use a bunch of these, this is a good choice. I would get an animal companion with venom as soon as possible. I believe the Fleshraker might have a posion bite.

Moving out of the Faerun pantheon, we have Set, a god of snakes. Can he have druids? Either way, if you go into cold regions your summons might decide to take a nap. He is also Mulhorandi, which might be hard to justify.

Urdlen, the Crawler Below, is a gnome god of underground murder and destruction. Good if you want to go around being a rich hobo that destroys things and kills people.

If you are an elf, the Eldreth Veluthra is looking into ways to get druidic power without a god. There isn't a player option for this, but if it works with your campaign it might be worth asking your DM.

Good luck!

EDIT: Unicorns are mentioned because druids can summon them using Nature's Ally. Only animals work as animal companions without feats.

I'm willing to spend feats. As for why I want a Unicorn: I just think they're Badass and an evil one is even cooler. I'm not entirely knowledgable on Malar (borrowing a book on Faerun some time soon), so I'll learn more fluff on him when the time comes. I don't really see anything wrong with having a unicorn if there's a RAW.

Midnight_v
2011-07-22, 11:14 PM
I think there is an evil unicorn in the faerun monster book. . .

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-22, 11:20 PM
Druids cannot cast spells opposed to their alignment, so you cannot summon a unicorn. Unicorns are always chaotic good and would be more likely to kill you then serve you, so it wouldn't make a lick of sense anyway. They really do not tolerate evil. I strongly suggest asking your DM to make a Vile version of the Exalted animal companion to get the Black Unicorn, if there is not another way.

If you can get your hands on it, Champions of Ruin is a good place to start. It has details on the People of the Black Blood, who are evil lycanthropes in the service of Malar. You might not join up with them, but they would be good to know about.

Faiths and Pantheons is another good book for Malar, he's counted as a major god and gets a lot of attention in it. If you get Monsters of Faerun, don't just look at the Black Unicorn. There is a Beast of Malar template which should be good for lore as well. It might also give you ideas for what to do.

Yanagi
2011-07-22, 11:20 PM
Druids don't have many (in fact IIRC, any) aligned spells such that you'd experience a crunch effect from being NE. Ditto animal companions--de facto, you're drawing from the pool of N non-sapient animals. The only outside possiblity of a crunch effect is if you were taking supplementary materials--alternate CFs or feats that change CFs--that incorporate an alignment component (like Planar Shepherd).

If Malar isn't exactly what you want consider: there's Kossuth (N, fire and personal power...very Social Darwinist), Talos (CE, storms and destruction...a giant bully), Silvanus (N, nature as a whole...neutral, but with hardcore followers that don't necessarily care about human needs), Umberlee (CE, the sea...a big fan of shipwrecks and sharks), Auril (NE, frost and ice...basically, she's trying to bring about Fimbulwinter), Ubtao (N, deity of Chult and jungles...an enigmatic god that prizes cunning and survival skills), and Talona (poison and disease...who's into purposefully blighting and corrupting the landscape)from the general pantheon.

There also Ghaunadaur (CE, aberrations and slimes...alien and unknowable) of the drow and Sebek (NE, crocodiles and wetlands...another ruthlessly predatory god) of the Mulhorandi. And while they don't explicitly mention druid followers, I'd argue that the nature-related portofolios of Urdlen (NE, bloodlust and uncontrolled urges) of the gnomes amd Yurtrus (NE, death and disease) of the orcs might be interesting choices.

I played a NE half-orc druid (in the Forgotten Realms) for almost two years...still my favorite character ever.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-22, 11:30 PM
Nature's Ally might be the only aligned spell that really matters. So he'll be out a bit of healing, but can probably make up the difference in other ways. Initiate of Malar apparently gives a bonus to summoned animals, and is found in the Player's Guide to Faerun.

If you are asking your DM for the very thematically appropriate Black Unicorn, you might also wish to consider an evil version of the Exalted Wildshape to add the Fiendish Template onto your wildshaping and become your own unicorn. This is not supported by the game and might not be the most power gaming option, so be aware of that.

hobbitkniver
2011-07-23, 12:16 AM
Guess a unicorn isn't really a good idea then. I'll go with a rather boring large cat of some sort I suppose.

Leon
2011-07-23, 12:41 AM
Get a Unicron

Yanagi
2011-07-23, 12:42 AM
Guess a unicorn isn't really a good idea then. I'll go with a rather boring large cat of some sort I suppose.

You might want to consider the Elemental Companion alternate CF from Complete Mage, if you're looking for interesting.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-23, 12:45 AM
Get a Unicron

What's a unicron? And why do you hate kitties? :smallfrown:

I think the unicorn thing is because paladins can get unicorns as their mounts.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-23, 01:04 AM
Wait...A LG paladin can get a CG unicorn as a mount? Also, is this option available to all paladins, or just female humans and elves?

Stupid racist sexist horse things.

I believe there are stronger options then the Unicorn/Fiendish creatures, but sadly, most are thematically weird. Greenbound summoning is nice, but Malarites eat things that eat plants, not use plants. The Rashemi summoning thingy is very hard to get as a known Malarite, through you could be a cleric associated with the Hathran that was either an infiltrator or a convert.

hobbitkniver
2011-07-23, 01:35 AM
I got a panther. I'm pretty sure this is the animal most linked to Malar. It's okay and I'm probably never going to care enough to change it. What're the rules for getting a new animal companion anyway?

Coidzor
2011-07-23, 01:35 AM
There's a feat in champions of ruin that gets you a feral, evil animal companion with some buffs and a diseased bite attack.

What're the rules for getting a new animal companion anyway?

24 hour ritual of prayer. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#animalCompanion)

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-23, 01:43 AM
I got a panther. I'm pretty sure this is the animal most linked to Malar. It's okay and I'm probably never going to care enough to change it. What're the rules for getting a new animal companion anyway?

As Malar is the god of the People of the Black Blood, you'll be fine with any large predator. Wolves, Bears, and other large felines all work. Heck, there's no reason you can't have a croc if you really wanted to. Check out Beast of Malar, I am sure that template is applied to anything. The illustration even has bats which eat insects!

Just no stinky herbivores. Plants aren't food, food eat plants!

Divide by Zero
2011-07-23, 04:19 AM
What's a unicron?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/Unicron-idw.jpg

I wonder if a Planar Shepherd of Mechanus could get Unicron as his companion, or wildshape into him.

Cerlis
2011-07-23, 02:20 PM
isnt there a feat or ACF that lets you get a magical beast as an animal companion? A krenshar would be nice. what with it being a big cat, but being able to pull the skin on its face off and freak people out.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-23, 02:25 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/Unicron-idw.jpg

I wonder if a Planar Shepherd of Mechanus could get Unicron as his companion, or wildshape into him.

I though it sounded like something from Transformers. ^_^

Urpriest
2011-07-23, 04:19 PM
isnt there a feat or ACF that lets you get a magical beast as an animal companion? A krenshar would be nice. what with it being a big cat, but being able to pull the skin on its face off and freak people out.

Nothing generic like that. There are a few that give specific ones in Eberron Campaign Setting.

Soranar
2011-07-23, 04:28 PM
You could also play a blighter, mechanically it's way weaker than a druid but it really is evil (you have to burn forests to get your spells back though...)

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-23, 04:49 PM
I would not reccomend a Blighter because in my opinion they would likely have to follow Talos. I don't think Malar is 100% okay with killing off his portfolio. He's more about the strong culling the weak, not rocks fall everyone dies.

Analytica
2011-07-23, 05:44 PM
Moander might be another option, though not clearly stated to have druid followers, I think "he" should have them. The now-dead deity of rot, decay and corruption. Also a bit of a jerk.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-23, 07:34 PM
From the Druid Handbook:

Basically, if it takes away caster levels or doesn't give you Wild Shape, don't mess with it. And don't ever, ever, ever take Blighter.

Coidzor
2011-07-24, 04:34 PM
I would not reccomend a Blighter because in my opinion they would likely have to follow Talos. I don't think Malar is 100% okay with killing off his portfolio. He's more about the strong culling the weak, not rocks fall everyone dies.

I would not recommend playing a Blighter because the class just plain sucks and makes you weaker than just being a NE druid. Ur-Priest would be preferable. Heck, "expected" entry Fochulcan Lyrist would be better for you.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-24, 05:26 PM
I will bow to the advice of my betters for optimization. I don't disagree that Blighter looks funky, but in an RP standpoint its going to be hard to justify for certain gods in my opinion.

Druids of Moander run into the problem of either needing to pick up Servant of the Fallen, or they inadvertently worship Lolth who grants spells in Moander's name cause she's kinda a jerk. But I will agree that a Druid of Moander is very flavorful, and very cool. Servant of the Fallen is I think a very idea for flavor and player choice. Many DMs houserule it out, or don't pick up that book.

Coidzor
2011-07-24, 07:12 PM
Druids of Moander run into the problem of either needing to pick up Servant of the Fallen, or they inadvertently worship Lolth who grants spells in Moander's name cause she's kinda a jerk. But I will agree that a Druid of Moander is very flavorful, and very cool. Servant of the Fallen is I think a very idea for flavor and player choice. Many DMs houserule it out, or don't pick up that book.

After all, one should never be so strangled by the lore that one can't do anything for one's game. :smalltongue:

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-24, 07:19 PM
Say that when someone wants to replace all of the halflings in your homebrew with kender.

Coidzor
2011-07-24, 07:24 PM
Say that when someone wants to replace all of the halflings in your homebrew with kender.

No, that's not what you say to kender. What you say to Kender is TASTE THE FIRES OF ZARUS-I MEAN PELOR! (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor_the_Burning_Hate)

More seriously though, apples to oranges, apples to oranges. And by that I mean, Kender, as a subject, have been thoroughly dissected, and if you haven't yet seen the videos, you really should. It's hilarious watching them scream.