PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Just Another Nondescript Man

planswalker
2011-07-22, 10:38 PM
The nondescript man enter the Guildsman's District, where shops and workshops and guildhalls dominate the scene. He takes note of many and can find his way through here rather easily.

Ahus
2011-07-24, 04:22 PM
The man makes his way through the Guildsmans quarter stopping in front of one of the banking establishments.
In due time, in due time... He thinks to himself. before pressing on to the Porter's guild house.

Upon entering he surveils the occupants, visually and mentally in an attempt to determine the organizational structure of the guild.

Whom in the house seems to be the one in charge and whom is their second. I'm presuming that Mindsight would help rank and order those present in the building.

planswalker
2011-07-24, 06:44 PM
Several large burly porters are lounging about joking and talking amongst themselves. A well-dressed elf is sitting behind a desk filling out forms when you walk in. He doesn't get up from his desk or even look up to greet you as he says, "What can the guild do for you today, sir or madam?"

Ahus
2011-07-24, 07:22 PM
The man walks silently past the other porters in the house and addresses the elf.
I have come to Aldhaven seeking work, I am currently far from fresh due to my travels but I assure you that I am more than competent.

planswalker
2011-07-24, 07:41 PM
"Oh, want to join the guild? Well, it's a simple process. Guild dues are ten gold a month, your first partial month is not pro-rated. You must also pass a competency test."

Ahus
2011-07-24, 10:59 PM
I must say that I am unaccustomed to your method of doing business, where I come from those seeking porters, or other sorts of fixers would pay the guild directly for their service. and the guild would make dispensations to the porters based upon a negotiated contract, tips and other monies were paid direct from the client to the porter and not subject to the employment contract. The porter would also take up residence in the home of the client whom he was serving, is that not the case here? I ask because I have currently naught but the clothes on my back and would otherwise not be able to pay to join the guild.

Diplomacy Check to get out of the contract with the guild
[roll0]
Bluff check to convince the guild head that I got on money
[roll1]

planswalker
2011-07-24, 11:04 PM
"Oh, we'll pay you before your first dues are due if that's an issue. You also haven't made your mark on anything, so you're not obliged to join us if you don't want."

Ahus
2011-07-25, 04:24 PM
I do believe that you mentioned a competency test for admittance, I should very much like to complete that and hear what options you have for me for employ before committing to any contract for service. I have been too many times on the wrong end of this sort of dealing.

The man stands as close to the desk as is possible and attempts to read the documents on which the elf is working without drawing attention to himself.
Sleight of Hand [roll0]

planswalker
2011-07-25, 04:33 PM
"Understood. Here in Aldhaven, the guild takes care of its own, not exploits them."

The papers seem to be logs of various tasks the porters have accepted recently, along with bills for those agents with a line of credit.

Ahus
2011-07-26, 09:28 AM
I suppose that you'll have me take you at your word then, and I suppose that if I want to work that I'll need to do just that, where should I make my mark then, and what of this test?

planswalker
2011-07-26, 11:17 AM
He pushes a paper before you. "If you're literate and can sign your own name, we give a bonus. Literate porters can do things that illiterates can't. As for the test, once you sign I'll take you to the foreman for evaluation."

Ahus
2011-07-26, 12:32 PM
The man takes the paper form the Elf, produces a pen from his backpack, and proceeds to sign.

"Nori Falsche"
Forgery check to sign in a hand sufficiently different than my own so as to be obvious to anyone whom sees them side by side.

Forgery:[roll0]

I believe that you will find that I am far more than adequately literate. My former patron occasionally had me stand in his stead for matters of state, when none of his subordinates could be found. I have become used to having far more responsibility than the average.

planswalker
2011-07-26, 02:08 PM
"Thank you." He tucks the paper away.

"Follow me."

He leads you out to the yard, where a half-orc is overseeing a team of grunting, burly men as they load barrels onto a wagon.

Ahus
2011-07-27, 06:31 AM
The man nods curtly to the other two porters in the guild hall, and follows the elf into the yard precisely two steps behind and one step to the right his footfalls completely in tempo with those of the elf.

He scoffs at the half-orc and team of men loading the wagon.
I'll not have any part of that.

I signed on to be an attendant at court and noble emissary not some lowly materiel handler.

He states to the Elf making no attempt to not be overheard.

planswalker
2011-07-27, 04:07 PM
por·ter 1 (pôrtr, pr-)
n.
1. A person employed to carry burdens, especially an attendant who carries travelers' baggage at a hotel or transportation station. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Porter)

in a more medevial sense, one who carries burdens.

not sure what definition of porter you're meaning.

"And here I was thinking you knew what you signed up for. Porters are people who haul things for pay. And you've signed up to do exactly that. It's not a glamorous job, but it's respectable and the pay's better than average for untrained labor. Disrespect us again and a broken contract won't be the only thing you worry about."

Ahus
2011-07-27, 08:58 PM
Main Entry: porter
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: person who serves as attendant, caretaker
Synonyms: baggage carrier, bearer, bellhop, carrier, concierge, doorkeeper, doorperson, gatekeeper, janitor, redcap, skycap, transporter
(http://thesaurus.com/browse/porter?__utma=1.597849553.1311816072.1311816072.13 11816072.1&__utmb=1.3.9.1311816229790&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1311816072.1.1.utmcsr=bing|utmccn=(organi c)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=porter%20concierge%20defi nition&__utmv=-&__utmk=170586272)

Obviously there has been some cultural misunderstanding as to the role of a porter. I am not of sufficient physical stature to perform such manual labor. However, as you have stated I have signed a contract, even I was under a mistaken impression that the porters of Aldhaven were held in the same regard as those of my home, as personnel assistants and trusted agents conveyance of messages of importance vice manual laborers.

Thinking to self:Why did I not enter into this hall under the veil of disguise? I could just walk away and they would be none the wiser. This is not going to be the free roam of the nobles quarter that I had hoped it would bring. Still, this could be very lucrative, I wonder how much they would pay to someone whom could bring to justice those "responsible" for a sudden rash of stolen shipments.

Being that I have signed your contract under some misinterpretation, perhaps a compromise is in order. I propose that you name me as you second in this enterprise I will fulfill the terms of my contract by performing work for the guild and will be able to maintain my sense of status.

Diplomacy to convince the Elf to make me a managing partner in the operation of the porters guild. [roll0]

planswalker
2011-07-27, 09:19 PM
"Since you clearly have a head on your shoulders, I'm willing to make you a foreman right now. You won't have to do the heavy lifting yourself, and you get to direct four of the workers. Pay's better too. Think you can keep four large yet tragically undereducated men in line at tasks they're getting paid to do? If so, I'lll stick you over Lynch's gang. Just be sure to listen to Lynch about company policy. Normally, I require foremen to go through six months of working as a common porter so they can understand company policy. Think you can do that?"

Ahus
2011-07-28, 07:48 AM
I believe that we have an accord, and come to think of it I do not believe that I caught your name. I should see to some accommodation as well.

planswalker
2011-07-28, 10:01 AM
"The name is Quindill. Theseleninalo Quindill. Most of the porters just call me Quin. We have a barracks where you can stay if you want. Your guild dues cover it and a simple breakfast and lunch for days you work. Foremen sleep in a separate part from the common grunts."

Ahus
2011-07-29, 03:12 PM
Theseleninalo Quindill, thank you, would you like to introduce me to the team now. I came to the guild house immediately upon arrival in Aldhaven, and could really use a warm bed and a fresh meal, however if you would prefer to have me start out with the men now that would be perfectly acceptable as well.

planswalker
2011-07-29, 03:18 PM
"Nah, eat and rest up. We'll put you to work after you've had a rest. Tired and hungry people make mistakes, and we don't make mistakes in the Guild."

Ahus
2011-08-02, 06:34 PM
I'm on travel for work and having trouble with internet access, I'll have to defer this for a couple of more days...

planswalker
2011-08-02, 07:22 PM
no problem. Just come back when you can if you still want to at that time.