PDA

View Full Version : Odd roles characters have been put into, not 'silly' just odd.

share and enjoy
2011-07-22, 11:04 PM
Any one have stories of odd character roles you've had to fall into?

small background info first this was a campaign of all new players and the first time the dm had dmed, we all had really lucky ability rolls ( I had 16,15,16,14,17,13 and I was the lowest stat line) and we were playing 3.5 but then dm switched to pathfinder (that's another story).

I had a monk (which I had fun playing, relax guys tell me off some other time) who I was planning on playing in social situations as mostly support (huge sense motive) that ended up as the party face and was basically relied on to talk to anyone in town with his 13 cha.

the dm got around making me roll dip checks and fail everything (I have notoriously bad rolls I get that it's random but I really did have serious issues with bad rolls at the wrong time) by playing dip as "say what you plan to say, I will give you bonuses based on what you are going to say then roll dip and I'll add the bonuses"

So, the reason I was put in the roll- there was only 2 other players that regularly showed up. We had a druid (who deserves his own damned thread for what he managed to get away with) with 18cha who kept insisting that he was the party leader but who couldn't roleplay social situations worth a damn and just went about being a **** to everyone. The other guy had a habit of his characters dying all the time but did once try out a character that had dip as a high skill- he played a anti-paladin (really a paladin possessed by evil weapons) who had problems in crowds because he kept getting overwhelming urges to kill everyone.

And so it fell to me to be the voice of reason in most social situations which was quite far from where I had conceived him being.

tldr: I had a monk with 13 charisma - the lowest cha in the party that ended up as the party face by being the only decent roleplayer in social situations are there any odd roles you've found your characters in?

Rossebay
2011-07-22, 11:20 PM
Over the past few months, as we've been playing D&D, my Sorcerer, his high health of 40 at level 6 (Con 16, and I've rolled 4 on that D4 4 out of 5 times) has had to be party tank more than once. I mean, I know I have Mage Armor, the rest of the party is usually squishy, and I tend to be the one walking in front anyway, but seriously? I'm a sorcerer. More than once I've been hanging onto my life by a thread.

It has actually been happening so often that I'm considering taking a level of Fighter.

share and enjoy
2011-07-22, 11:40 PM
yeah our druid decided he was the main front line combatant which he could handle because - druid but that involved him just focusing the biggest single thing he could see while I desperately tried to keep him from getting mobbed with my absurdly low hp (basically I had the opposite problem to you I rolled almost all my health under 3) so instead of being a distracting hit and run close quarters guy I ended up as a tank who distracted people long enough to let the druid finish up so he he could come save me (after using all his healing spells on his companion instead of other party members, like I said he was being a complete pilot knob)

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-07-22, 11:52 PM
Rossebay: Summon spells are your friend.

I've definitely had an 8 CHA wizard be the party face. That DM liked to totally arbitrate diplo-style situations, meaning CHA was the truest dump stat of all (side note: I'm pretty sure no one took diplomacy as a class skill... I wonder why). I played up the 8 CHA by making him really creepy and solemn, but the NPCs tended to favor his solid reasoning anyway unless they weren't going to cooperate no matter what. High INT solves many problems.

I'm not sure if it's "odd" for a wizard with the summon elemental reserve feat to be the trapfinder, but that's happened before as well.

I've been in a party where a pure rogue/assassin tanked. It was made easier with my debuffs and illusions helping out, but still. Skillmonkeys shouldn't tank.

If I DM 3.5 again, I have plans for a wizard BBEG who mainly fights in melee. Then again, it's wizard/incantatrix persisting greater invisibility, draconic polymorph into a firblog, and a ton of other stuff... but y'know.

Morithias
2011-07-22, 11:59 PM
Lawful Evil Deathstalker Assassin teamed up with a LG paladin (just roll with it) and LG Warblade.

Yet for some reason I'm the LEAST trigger happy of our group. The person who is most likely to not jump into a fight and go nuts with violence.

So yeah, the LE is the pure and noble leader.

share and enjoy
2011-07-23, 12:24 AM
GoodbyeSoberDay: pretty sure you can't put a wizard in an odd position and that's the problem people have with them.

there was also a rouge (a halfling) who's player had to leave so as an exit she decided to go on a killing spree because apparently she was evil the whole time which in itself became odd because there had been a dmpc that did the almost the exact same thing already, the difference being the dmpc was after non halflings and the rouge was after males there was a really weird moment in retrospect where the rogue warned our all male (except her and the dmpc) party that she (the dmpc) was planning on killing us.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-07-23, 12:27 AM
GoodbyeSoberDay: pretty sure you can't put a wizard in an odd position and that's the problem people have with them.Well, the first situation was 4e, where you can. Otherwise I suppose I have to agree.

Paul H
2011-07-25, 12:46 PM
Hi

Few months ago, in a Pathfinder Society game, my human Taldor female Lvl 1 Synthesist (Summoner, 2H Gt Sword, Cha 18), was the 'distraction' that allowed the party to get past the guards at a town gate.

She's got 1 rank Perform (Dance), trained in ballet. Wore her 'harem' outfit & did a pole dance on a cart as it moved through the entrance gate. Nice die roll. We all got through without hassle (she got groped). Can't remember if she made any gold on way through! (Lots of laughs at table).

Who says synthesists are one-trick ponies!

Thanks
Paul H

Vandicus
2011-07-25, 01:13 PM
I've had a 4e game where my int dumpstatting paladin was our battle stragetist(pre-battle plan composing, not in battle maneuvering), expert dungeon delver and general logic problem solver.

The group always defaults to me fufilling those roles when I'm a player(so much so that when I asked them to solve a dungeon puzzle because my paladin was really not that intelligent, we sat around for half an hour as the rest of the party made increasingly inane suggestions until the DM got frustrated enough to give us the answer and have us move on), so I've taken to having an int of at least 16 on all of my characters for it to make sense. And I play non-caster melee.