PDA

View Full Version : Need some help.

Shinarel
2011-07-23, 01:55 AM
So my DM has decided that stealing is no longer okay, and I have to reroll my rogue. :smallfurious:

So I decided that my next thing would be a psion type. I was hoping to do a sort of mind master. His/her schtick would be being able to dominate others. I can imagine her doing something like this http://media.photobucket.com/image/Kill%20yourself%20desu/3isuke/ji-satsu-desu.png.

I can't figure out how to build it, other than from a rather bland straight up psion, maybe dipping a level of mindbender for the telepathy. Anyone have any ideas?

Tvtyrant
2011-07-23, 01:56 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm I'm pretty sure he will give you your rogue back :smallamused:

Silva Stormrage
2011-07-23, 02:23 AM
Ya Telepathy Psion going into thrallherd is your best bet. If you want you could take the dip into Mindbender but I don't think it's necessary since you have touchsight.

I suggest getting, earth sense and earth power as well as over channel and talented. Earth Sense/Power basically reduce all the power point cost of your powers by 1. Overchannel is in the SRD and lets you take damage to augment your powers further while talented lets you ignore the damage for lvl 3 spells and under as long as you expend psionic focus.

Optimator
2011-07-23, 02:26 PM
Be sure to get Solicit Psycrystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/solicitPsicrystal.htm) so you can Dominate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dominatePsionic.htm)easier.

Cerlis
2011-07-23, 02:30 PM
so...what....your stealing from party members is causing problems. so now you are going to Mind control em?

Vandicus
2011-07-23, 02:43 PM
so...what....your stealing from party members is causing problems. so now you are going to Mind control em?

He never actually says he was stealing from party members. I'm sort of curious myself what exactly the DM told him he could no longer do.

Shinarel
2011-07-23, 03:01 PM
I am not stealing from party members. My character was a nobleish thief, and only stole from those that could afford to lose. On more than one occassion, she returned things that had extreme sentimental value (a witch's necklace that contained all her childhood memories, since she had been alive so long and could not remember), or that they couldn't afford to lose (we found a crystal of what was essentially food multiplication. It accelerated a country only in terms of food. Instead of taking months for crops to grow, it took days, multiple generations were born from pigs, cows, and sheep overnight. That sort of thing. She was going to reverse steal it into the vault of a nation going through a famine before it was stolen.)

The DM decided that stealing is morally wrong, and that I can't do it anymore, so I wanted to do another character concept I liked, the mindwalker.

Optimator
2011-07-23, 03:09 PM
Stealing is chaotic. Hurting people is evil. Hurting someone by stealing from them is chaotic evil. This is usually the case, but not always, such as stealing from the corrupt and rich.

Your DM seems like a weird cat. Were you offending his morals, or does he just want a near-exalted game and a party of boy scouts?

Vandicus
2011-07-23, 03:14 PM
Stealing is chaotic. Hurting people is evil. Hurting someone by stealing from them is chaotic evil. This is usually the case, but not always, such as stealing from the corrupt and rich.

Your DM seems like a weird cat. Were you offending his morals, or does he just want a near-exalted game and a party of boy scouts?

Killing people hurts them. Hurting people is evil. Hurting someone by killing them is evil. This is usually the case, but not always, such as being an adventurer. :smallwink:

Stealing, while always chaotic, is good/neutral/evil depending on the alignment of the person who is being stolen from(in the case of a CG thief, they're usually evil). Stealing from a Banite/lich/evil dudes as long as the player is aware of their evilness is good aligned by the D&D system.

koscum
2011-07-23, 03:33 PM
Killing people hurts them. Hurting people is evil. Hurting someone by killing them is evil. This is usually the case, but not always, such as being an adventurer. :smallwink:

Stealing, while always chaotic, is good/neutral/evil depending on the alignment of the person who is being stolen from(in the case of a CG thief, they're usually evil). Stealing from a Banite/lich/evil dudes as long as the player is aware of their evilness is good aligned by the D&D system.
+1.

Now can we apply the same thing to assassination, please :).

myancey
2011-07-23, 03:42 PM
While I believe we shouldn't descend into an alignment argument on this thread, I will quickly agree with the two above who believe that stealing varies on the alignment scale.

As for the psion--love that class. Have to agree on the overchannel. You can rock people when you start using your points.

And take empower power. I think its only a +1 for point cost.

Shinarel
2011-07-23, 04:38 PM
I was just offending his morals, I think. The other people in the party are a little crazier than just lifting the odd noble's stuff. The DM even has a bank system, so all the stuff in the houses aren't woryh a whole bunch.

Thanks for the help with the build guys.

Cerlis
2011-07-24, 06:21 AM
cool. well you should make sure to talk to your DM about his interpretations on Charm/dominate spells as well as how diplomacy works. If your DM has a stick somewhere (and seeing as you where not playing chaotic stupid, but still brushed him the wrong way, that may be) then he may interpret the spells in a way that is disadvantageous to you. or he might do it as intended. but basically both spells are based off the vague comments of "What they might normally do" and "They are your friend". So i'd make sure you know what you are getting into based on the way he interprets the rules. Dont want to risk getting well into a campaign with no real need for your specialty, and then find out after its to late your spec is gimped.

Xtomjames
2011-07-24, 07:22 AM
I'd say just tell your DM to feck off. Stealing is part of the game. If he doesn't like it he should deal with it in game fairly and equitably, not just demand that it's "morally wrong" and it's not allowed anymore. Your DM doesn't sound too knowledgeable about the concept of how D&D works.

Optimator
2011-07-24, 03:41 PM
Maybe the DM was robbed or mugged recently and the rogue's behavior was bringing back painful memories.

Cerlis
2011-07-25, 05:29 AM
I'd say just tell your DM to feck off. Stealing is part of the game. If he doesn't like it he should deal with it in game fairly and equitably, not just demand that it's "morally wrong" and it's not allowed anymore. Your DM doesn't sound too knowledgeable about the concept of how D&D works.

people make requirements of players all the time. Non-evil campaign. Low magic. No humans. humans only. Good-only campaign. evil campaign.

I'll admit the dictatorship in this case is out of the ordinary. But the only flaw i see here is either the DM MAYBE taking care of an OOC problem in game, but more likely not letting his expectations known ahead of time.