PDA

View Full Version : Cloud of Knives Complements

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 10:28 AM
So, I've got a level 17 Cleric with 15th level casting and I've just started to be able to persist 2nd level spells. I've been looking for interesting things to have around all day (aside from simple numerical buffs like Divine Favor).

I realized that Cloud of Knives has excellent potential, but by itself it is only a few extra damage each turn. There must be something cool that I can do with a free ranged attack each turn.

So, I'm looking for suggestions of other spells that I can persist that would up the usefulness of CoK. Any suggestions?

Zaq
2011-07-23, 10:38 AM
If you can get your hands on Hunter's Eye, that free ranged attack can get you a few (sometimes QUITE a few) dice of SA. I forget if there's an easy way to get it on the Cleric list, though.

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 10:39 AM
If you can get your hands on Hunter's Eye, that free ranged attack can get you a few (sometimes QUITE a few) dice of SA. I forget if there's an easy way to get it on the Cleric list, though.

I don't think there is, unless you're willing go for PrC Ranger. Although, this would definately work for Archivist.

Alefiend
2011-07-23, 10:41 AM
+1 request. This is one of my favorite spells in terms of flavor, but mechanically it's weak on its own. Help the OP (and me) out!

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 10:44 AM
+1 request. This is one of my favorite spells in terms of flavor, but mechanically it's weak on its own. Help the OP (and me) out!

Well, if it's for a Sorcerer/Wizard you can go for Unseen Seer/Arcane Trickster to get Hunter's Eye, more SA, Craven, and Invisibility to trigger that SA.

Or if you go with Bard/Lyrical Thaumaturge you can get it with DFI and IC.

The problem is, I don't know what works for Clerics.:smallannoyed:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-23, 11:55 AM
Fell Drain metamagic, in Libris Mortis, now it deals a negative level with every hit.

Take a look at this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10891237&postcount=20) from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197237) for a few more ideas.

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 12:03 PM
Fell Drain metamagic, in Libris Mortis, now it deals a negative level with every hit.

Take a look at this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10891237&postcount=20) from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197237) for a few more ideas.

Just to clarify something, you say that Easy Metamagic is a [Metamagic] feat. Is that saying that a spell with Arcane Thesis on it and an Easy Metamagic: Quicken would have a +1 adjustment (Arcane Thesis causes -1 Easy Metamagic, -1 Quicken, +3 Quicken). That is to say that Easy Metamagic is considered a Metamagic feat applied to the spell?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-23, 01:32 PM
Easy Metamagic has the [metamagic] tag, just like any other metamagic feat. It can be selected as a bonus metamagic feat, such as at Wizard 5 or Incantatrix 1, and it counts as a metamagic feat for other effects such as Arcane Thesis.

In your example, you would be correct; however, this is not a problem with Easy Metamagic, but one with Arcane Thesis. You could use +0 metamagic, such as Invisible Spell and Sanctum Spell, to get a reduced spell level cost via Arcane Thesis. Sanctum Spell can even be used to intentionally reverse-Heighten a spell by -1, thus making a 4th level spell count as a 3rd level spell and be eligible for lesser metamagic rods and spell storing weapons. This reverse-Heighten also has some questionable interactions with post-errata Arcane Thesis and how low it can reduce your spell slot cost.

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 01:57 PM
You misunderstand me, I don't think it's a problem. Quite the contrary, I've started rubbing my hands together and chuckling maniacally. :nale:

However, that part doesn't particilarly help a Cleric. Although I'll probobly grab Fell Drain as my level 18 feat, since I already have Easy MM: Persist. I can set up the CoK in a 9th level slot.

Are there any boosts in the form of cleric spells?

dextercorvia
2011-07-23, 01:58 PM
Easy Metamagic has the [metamagic] tag, just like any other metamagic feat.

I learned something good today. Thanks.

Cog
2011-07-23, 04:34 PM
Easy Metamagic's use with Arcane Thesis is questionable. Arcane Thesis reduces the level adjustment when you apply metamagic to a spell, but Easy Metamagic is applied to the other metamagic feat instead of to the spell.

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 04:38 PM
Easy Metamagic's use with Arcane Thesis is questionable. Arcane Thesis reduces the level adjustment when you apply metamagic to a spell, but Easy Metamagic is applied to the other metamagic feat instead of to the spell.

That was what confused me.

But anyway, are there perhaps spells similar to Divine Favor that would apply to the spell damage?

Also, until level 18, what would be the formula for making a Fell Drain MM Rod (I don't see one in LM)?

Cog
2011-07-23, 04:52 PM
Given that CofK is a Conjuration, that the knives are subject to DR, and that the range of the spell is merely Personal while you can still attack beyond that (a spell's effects must be contained within its range), I'd say there's a very good argument that the knives are true weapons and so that Divine Favor would apply to them. Basically, they're real knives but are telekinetically launched, which is why your casting matters for attack and damage.

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 04:59 PM
Given that CofK is a Conjuration, that the knives are subject to DR, and that the range of the spell is merely Personal while you can still attack beyond that (a spell's effects must be contained within its range), I'd say there's a very good argument that the knives are true weapons and so that Divine Favor would apply to them. Basically, they're real knives but are telekinetically launched, which is why your casting matters for attack and damage.

That's a good argument. There like my own little Cleric-y Orbs.