PDA

View Full Version : Immunity to Ability damage?

Lord Ruby34
2011-07-23, 10:55 AM
What's the cheapest way to become immune to ability drain and ability damage? I have around a hundred thousand gold to work with so I'd like full immunity. Unfortunately the Bone Ring is the closest thing I can find. The character I'm doing this for is a Warforged Psion (Shaper) so I might have missed something on my Power List that will do that for me.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-23, 10:59 AM
What's the cheapest way to become immune to ability drain and ability damage? I have around a hundred thousand gold to work with so I'd like full immunity. Unfortunately the Bone Ring is the closest thing I can find. The character I'm doing this for is a Warforged Psion (Shaper) so I might have missed something on my Power List that will do that for me.

Necropolitan. Iffy if you qualify as a Warforged: ask your DM.

Other than that, you can get immunity to Charisma Drain/Damage by being a cleric with the Pleasure domain (BoED) and you're already immune to Constitution Drain/Damage by virtue of being Warforged.

Lord Ruby34
2011-07-23, 11:02 AM
I'd prefer to go straight Psion, but I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Anyway Charisma is the big one, I've only got six so getting hit with any Cha damage would suck.

What book is Necropolitan in again?

Shadowknight12
2011-07-23, 11:05 AM
Necropolitan is in Libris Mortis. It's a ritual that costs you 1000XP and a level, but makes you undead and gives you a few useful traits to make up for the traditional undead weaknesses. By default, undead are immune to all kinds of ability damage/drain. I thought so were constructs, but I guess warforged must get a special exemption for being a Living Construct or something.

Tar Palantir
2011-07-23, 12:07 PM
Necropolitan is in Libris Mortis. It's a ritual that costs you 1000XP and a level, but makes you undead and gives you a few useful traits to make up for the traditional undead weaknesses. By default, undead are immune to all kinds of ability damage/drain. I thought so were constructs, but I guess warforged must get a special exemption for being a Living Construct or something.

Technically, undead aren't immune to mental ability damage, so it's less useful than it seems, esp. if it's Charisma you wan't to protect.

Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.

Lord Ruby34
2011-07-23, 12:17 PM
Ah, well is there an item that can cover that weakness?

Shadowknight12
2011-07-23, 12:20 PM
Technically, undead aren't immune to mental ability damage, so it's less useful than it seems, esp. if it's Charisma you wan't to protect.

Huh. Good catch. My mistake! So two allips could wisdom-drain each other to death? Amusing.

Tar Palantir
2011-07-23, 12:25 PM
Huh. Good catch. My mistake! So two allips could wisdom-drain each other to death? Amusing.

Hate to keep contradicting you, but since allips deal wisdom drain, not damage, that's a no-go. Undead are immune to all ability drain and to physical ability damage, just not mental ability damage. Of course, finding something that deals mental ability damage and is not a poison, a disease, or mind affecting is pretty hard to do.

As for the OP, I don't know any answers off the top of my head. Sorry.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-23, 12:37 PM
Hate to keep contradicting you, but since allips deal wisdom drain, not damage, that's a no-go. Undead are immune to all ability drain and to physical ability damage, just not mental ability damage. Of course, finding something that deals mental ability damage and is not a poison, a disease, or mind affecting is pretty hard to do.

As for the OP, I don't know any answers off the top of my head. Sorry.

Ahh, okay, I see where I had my mistake. All undead are immune to all types of drain, and physical ability damage. Gotcha. Thanks!

Also, that's what ravages and afflictions are for! BoED's dumbest ideas, now put to (dumber) use! :smallbiggrin:

peacenlove
2011-07-23, 01:02 PM
Binding Dalver - nar (ToM, Practiced Binder and Improved Practiced Binder) you become immune to wisdom ability damage / drain.
There is a soulmeld , Strongheart Vest (obtainable with a feat) that reduces ability damage by 1 + invested essentia (I think maximum is 5 or 6 for non-incarnum users). If bound to a chakra, it reduces ability drain too. Magic of incarnum.
Being immune to poison, disease, death warded and mind blanked will protect you from most sources of ability damage / drain.

Douglas
2011-07-23, 01:20 PM
The spell Sheltered Vitality from Libris Mortis (and reprinted in Spell Compendium) grants temporary immunity to all ability damage. There's no official item form of it, though, so you'd have to talk with your DM about making a custom item based on the spell.

The official guideline formula for a continuous item duplicating Sheltered Vitality gives a price of 112000 gp, but that particular formula is well known to be extremely unreliable for producing balanced prices. Depending on which spell you use it for, it can range from laughably weak to brokenly overpowered. So, check with your DM about what he thinks is reasonable, presenting the formula result only as a tentative possible starting point.

Cruiser1
2011-07-23, 01:33 PM
If you're higher level, just Shapechange into a Monadic Deva (10HD, from FF). They're immune to ability damage and drain. They're also immune to fire, cold, acid, electricity, petrification, death effects, and energy drain. :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2011-07-23, 01:44 PM
Aren't undead immune to this? And there are a ton of these templates.