PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Li Pi

Rizban
2011-07-23, 01:34 PM
Is there somewhere specific that you are going, or just any general temple?

jvluso
2011-07-23, 01:46 PM
Just a general temple. Li mostly wants to see the sights of a city, so he'll probably find himself at whichever one is the most visually impressive.

Rizban
2011-07-23, 02:02 PM
There are a number of impressive temples in the city.

Though not the largest, the most grandiose is the temple to Pelor, topped by a golden sun nearly the size of a troll. Beyond it is dozens of temples, some larger, some smaller than Pelor's but none quite so.... expensive.

The twin temples to Solaron and Minrhet are two blocks west and one north of Pelor. The one on the right features a bronze lantern-shaped building that seems to glow internally. The one on the left has a draconic theme, showing chromatic and metallic dragons working together. The buildings are connected by a spiral tower that mixes the two themes. Four small shrines are located one at each external corner of the buildings.

Dozens of other temples fill the District, practically any temple to any deity can be found in the area.

jvluso
2011-07-23, 02:37 PM
Li enters the temple of Pelor, marveling at all of the statues and decorations. The monastery he was from had been small and simple to the outside world, hiding what lay inside.

Rizban
2011-07-23, 02:39 PM
You find yourself in a large, open air courtyard around the temple (http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/37716d3423a654bdbbb1b92b223a9cedc158e54c.pjpg) surrounded by the thick, circular outer wall. A sense of power seems to linger in the air. The large front door to the building standa open, revealing a large statue of Pelor sitting cross legged with open arms, welcoming his children into the temple.

jvluso
2011-07-23, 03:02 PM
I realized after writing this that I assumed that there were people in the courtyard. If not, he will simply walk up to the inner temple.

Li walks around the courtyard generally in the direction of the inner temple, listening to snippets of conversations, listening to anyone who comes up to talk to him, and, if no one does, he will enter the inner temple.

Rizban
2011-07-23, 03:06 PM
The people in the courtyard are either tending the grounds or are deep in prayer and meditation. A priest near the door stops you as you approach the temple proper.

"Greetings, sir. How may Pelor assist you today?"

jvluso
2011-07-23, 03:15 PM
Hello, I am a pilgrim seeking to learn the wisdom that the city could teach me. This temple caught my eye as a good place to start.

Rizban
2011-07-23, 03:19 PM
"Then I am glad to impart unto you the wisdom of serving the only true god Pelor. Come, let us sit and discuss his divine greatness."

jvluso
2011-07-23, 03:26 PM
Li will follow where the priest leads, and sit where the priest directs him.

I note you refer to Pelor as the only true god. What do you mean by that?

Rizban
2011-07-23, 03:28 PM
"Ah, there are other divine powers, sure, but none are really gods, they're just significantly more powerful than we "mere mortals." Pelor is truly a deity of unparallelled glory and power and genuinely cares about his followers."

jvluso
2011-07-23, 03:51 PM
Where I am from, we are taught that a god cannot interfere in the realms of mortals, but a deity can. If Pelor can show his care of mortals, how can he be a god?

Rizban
2011-07-23, 07:48 PM
"You are confused, obviously. 'Deity' and 'god' are almost synonymous, but not quite, and neither title prevents one from intervening in our world."

jvluso
2011-07-24, 01:56 AM
No, we have simply been taught different things. What teachings does Pelor give which we could learn from?

Rizban
2011-07-24, 06:23 PM
"He teaches that Light will one day cover all and that no Darkness can abide in it, for does not even the smallest candle cause darkness to flee before it? The evil that is darkness will be brought into the love that is light, so that peace may abound throughout creation."

jvluso
2011-07-25, 05:18 PM
Ah, yes, light and dark morality. I've heard of it before. You say that peace is light. What, other than it's obvious counterpart war, would be dark?

Rizban
2011-07-25, 05:24 PM
"Interesting... No, I do not say that peace is light. I say that Pelor is Light and Pelor desires peace, therefore the preponderance of the light is the victory of peace. Darkness and war are not necessarily synonymous. Indeed there is much that is dark which does not wage war, except against the very souls of men."

jvluso
2011-07-25, 06:16 PM
Physical peace, yet waging war against the very souls of man! What could possibly do that?

Rizban
2011-07-25, 07:54 PM
"The darkness inside all mortals, the darkness that Pelor seeks to remove and destroy so that it does not consume us."

jvluso
2011-07-27, 11:07 AM
Interesting...
Well, it has been nice talking to you, but the day grows late, and I still don't have a place to stay the night, so I think I must go.
Saying that, Li rises.

Rizban
2011-07-28, 12:22 AM
"Please, return any time you wish to further discuss things. Pelor's arms are always open."

jvluso
2011-07-31, 08:00 PM
After leaving the temple of Pelor, Li walks around the temple district, looking for a place he might be able to spend the night. He will spend a few hours wandering around, trying to find out what fun or interesting things might be going on in the temple district or in the city.

gather info - [roll0]
time - [roll1]

Rizban
2011-07-31, 08:32 PM
He hears rumors that there was a suicidal attack on the temple of Tiamat recently by some dragonborn of Bahamut and their allies. The temple of Bahamut has claimed ignorance, but they have still lost a lot of prestige in the debacle.

jvluso
2011-07-31, 09:13 PM
and for the place to spend the night?

Rizban
2011-07-31, 09:21 PM
Several temples offer temporary lodging for their adherents. There is one small inn dedicated to Gliss, god of summer, joy, and traveling where travelers are allowed one free night of rest each year.