PDA

View Full Version : d20 exploding magical bolt

Splendor
2011-07-23, 02:22 PM
In my game were using a item similar to an exploding crossbow bolt from dragon magazine #348 and Dynamite (DMG 146). The item is a "Cherry bomb" that is slung from a sling that explodes when it hit an object for 2d4 damage.

I've been looking at this as explosion damage, similar to Dynamite (DMG 146), which is bludgeoning damage.

But now my problem is the character using it has a +1 sling.
Should the "explosion" deal an additional point of damage and now bypass magical damage reduction?
I don't mind the +1 to hit, but the +1 to damage from an 'explosion' bothers me.
What if he makes a cold sling?
Does the 'explosion' now deal an additional d6 cold damage?

If I allow that, what if they want to enchant Dynamite?
Would it be treated as a magical weapon or magical ammo?
Does +1 Cold Dynamite deal 3d6 bludgeoning damage and d6 cold damage to everyone in the area?

Could he make +1 Alchemist fire to throw at someone?

Bolt, Exploding - (DR348 p87): All creature within a 5’ radius Burst of the point of impact take 2d12 Fire damage (Ref½, DC = 20 for target, 15 for those adjacent).

Dynamite - (DMG p146): The explosive has a blast radius of 5 feet and deals 2d6 points of bludgeoning damage. Anyone caught within the blast radius can make a DC 15 Reflex save to take half damage.

Alchemist’s Fire Bullet - (DR334 p49): Does 1d4 Fire damage plus the normal sling bullet damage on a hit. Plus chance to set target on fire.

Vandicus
2011-07-23, 02:24 PM
First of all I don't think that a magical bolt should be affected by DR. :smallconfused:

If it was dynamite, there would be impact damage that would recieve a plus 1, but since he just seems to be launching a flask style item, it'll do only magic (some type) damage.

*EDIT

Also, impact damage would assume him HITTING the target physically with the dynamite before it explodes. The rules don't oblige you to give any, although it would be sort of funny. :smallbiggrin: