PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/Pathfinder] Cursed, Intelligent Artifact - For the "Inner Beast" within us all.

Golden-Esque
2011-07-23, 03:01 PM
Alright, so once upon a time I read a book called "The Monster's Ring," which is a story about a kid who is given a ring that turns him into a monster, with the warning that he should never twist it around his finger three times. It's a pretty cute read; its made for the 4th - 8th grade range, so it's quick, but if you're one of those people who can't appreciate children's literature, you have been warned.

Anyway, in a conversation with a friend of mine about how to make the ego mechanic more interesting, I ended up creating this crazy idea for a random ego; an item that became more powerful as the effects it produced became more powerful. Remembering that book caused me to create this item, the Monster's Ring.

I wrote some pretty interesting fluff for it; it certainly has the potential of having an entire campaign / side quest built around it. I don't want to give any spoilers, but the ring provide an alternate answer for the creation of a certain super-powerful monster that we all know and love :-P.

Anyway, I wanted to get some feedback on the ring, so here I am! This first document is a PDF file. Anyone and everyone should be able to view and open this document. You will have to download it, however. If you want the PDF of this item, please click here (https://sites.google.com/site/dumpbucketdnd/things-to-share/TheMonster%27sRing.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1).

If you want the Word Document of this item for whatever reason, you can download it here (https://sites.google.com/site/dumpbucketdnd/things-to-share/TheMonster%27sRing.docx?attredirects=0&d=1): I only ask that if you use either copy of the document, you provide a link back to this page.

I hope you enjoy this item, and I am hoping for some feedback on it soon!

Domriso
2011-07-23, 03:49 PM
I really enjoy this item. It has flavor (oh, so much flavor!), interesting mechanics, and definitely has the ability to have a campaign centered around it. I'm not really sure if I have anything to critique about it. I just found it wonderful.

Golden-Esque
2011-07-23, 09:57 PM
I really enjoy this item. It has flavor (oh, so much flavor!), interesting mechanics, and definitely has the ability to have a campaign centered around it. I'm not really sure if I have anything to critique about it. I just found it wonderful.

Yeah, I was talking with my players about it, and I personally feel that if you're going to use it, you need to build the campaign around it in some way; it's definitely not a "splash me into any campaign" item. I'm glad you liked it! :smallsmile: