PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Up A Skill

Angeal976
2011-07-23, 03:43 PM
Are there any ways you can really jack up a skill, so that it is incredibly high? I know you can just put as much ranks as possible, and have a high modifier to go with it. Plus magic items that can boost the stat you need, and skill synergy too, but is there anything that can boost the skill itself, or something, that can make it better then normal?

Soranar
2011-07-23, 03:49 PM
depends on the skill

Some classes can add their class levels (or half of them) to certain or all skill checks

Factotum for example

Other skills can be boosted by circumstances

google jumplomancer for a ridiculous example of this

If you could explain which skills you need, that would help us help you.

tyckspoon
2011-07-23, 03:55 PM
The most generic way involves a custom magic item, using the fairly reliable formula (bonus squared x100 GP) for the cost. I say reliable because, like the formulas for bonuses to saves and stats, almost every pre-printed item that grants a skill bonus uses that formula, so the only really hard part is convincing your GM that having a +huge Competence bonus to whatever skill you're concerned about won't explode his game (I wouldn't try it for Use Magic Device or Diplomacy. Most other skills should be ok.) The next biggest single boost that I know of is being able to cast/getting somebody to cast Divine Insight, which is a dischargeable spell that grants 5+CL to a single skill check as an Insight bonus.

Angeal976
2011-07-23, 03:59 PM
depends on the skill

Some classes can add their class levels (or half of them) to certain or all skill checks

Factotum for example

Other skills can be boosted by circumstances

google jumplomancer for a ridiculous example of this

If you could explain which skills you need, that would help us help you.

Oh, right. Iaijutsu focus was the skill I had in mind.

Angeal976
2011-07-23, 04:22 PM
The most generic way involves a custom magic item, using the fairly reliable formula (bonus squared x100 GP) for the cost. I say reliable because, like the formulas for bonuses to saves and stats, almost every pre-printed item that grants a skill bonus uses that formula, so the only really hard part is convincing your GM that having a +huge Competence bonus to whatever skill you're concerned about won't explode his game (I wouldn't try it for Use Magic Device or Diplomacy. Most other skills should be ok.) The next biggest single boost that I know of is being able to cast/getting somebody to cast Divine Insight, which is a dischargeable spell that grants 5+CL to a single skill check as an Insight bonus.

Hm. I will have to ask my DM how he feels about that. +huge bonus to iaijutsu focus could be bad, he might not like it, but I can try.

marcielle
2011-07-24, 07:41 AM
DMs are significantly more likely to agree if you have awesome fluff. Item familiar you scabbard MIGHT fly. Be careful noone steals it though. The spell guidance of the avatar on a wand or ring gives an instant +20 to any skill as a standard action. Get quick draw and abuse the hell outta it. Or get your cleric to cast it on you so you can also attack normally this turn.

Xtomjames
2011-07-24, 07:48 AM
Out of curiosity did you by any chance take into count your synergies?

Any synergy that applied to concentration also applies to Ianjutsu focus, including having 5 ranks in concentration.

Your character's key knowledge would apply as synergy (I can't remember which knowledge it is in the Unapproachable East book) as well. Spellcraft would apply, psicraft if you have it would apply.

Ianjutsu focus could have as much as 7 synergistic bonuses or a +14 in total, depending on what skills you have ranks in.

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 08:12 AM
Out of curiosity did you by any chance take into count your synergies?

Any synergy that applied to concentration also applies to Ianjutsu focus, including having 5 ranks in concentration.

Your character's key knowledge would apply as synergy (I can't remember which knowledge it is in the Unapproachable East book) as well. Spellcraft would apply, psicraft if you have it would apply.

Ianjutsu focus could have as much as 7 synergistic bonuses or a +14 in total, depending on what skills you have ranks in.

Whoa! Really? I did not know that, thanks.

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 08:25 AM
Whoa! Really? I did not know that, thanks.

Actually OA samurai have no knowledge skills as a class.