PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Witch help!

Elvencloud
2011-07-23, 05:06 PM
I decided for my first PF game that I'm rolling a witch, with a decent set of rolls (13 15 14 17 14 17) and I'm having some difficulty developing the character.

First, Race. My first instinct was human, but not knowing PF very well, I don't have the faintest ideas what feats to take. Is there any sort of feat that improves the witch spell list? My other instinct was tiefling... and since I haven't played one, it might be an enjoyable experience.

On that note, second- I'm probably going to be a controller of some kind. But being level one, I'm kinda limited. I'm thinking the misfortune hex.

Any suggestions, Playground?

(P.S. And a familiar? does it really matter, or is it just fluff beyond my spells?)

Curious
2011-07-23, 05:12 PM
Take the Misfortune hex, it's good. Then, choose Extra Hex as a feat, and get the Cackle Hex. It is used as a move action, and extends the time a hex lasts, so it makes for an awesome combo with Misfortune.

The Gilded Duke
2011-07-23, 05:33 PM
Slumber is one of the most powerful hexes by far. Will save or sleep, targeted, no hd cap, at will.

You don't want to lose your familiar as that loses you spells. However familiars have your skill ranks, so can be effectively a second perception roll or knowledge roll which is nice.

Human is nice for the feat, Half-Elf is nice if you want some elf immunities and skill focus. Extra Hex for Cackle is probably a good idea. Could pick up extra hex twice if you want Cackle, Misfortune and Slumber at first level. Another solid choice though would be improved initiative.

peacenlove
2011-07-23, 05:51 PM
In the Bastards of Erebus adventure, there are variant tieflings (obtainable with a feat) which get a +2 bonus to intelligence. The same feat lets you roll thrice on a table with variant abilities, rangng from another +2 intelligence to negative energy healing etc.

Elvencloud
2011-07-23, 07:04 PM
In the Bastards of Erebus adventure, there are variant tieflings (obtainable with a feat) which get a +2 bonus to intelligence. The same feat lets you roll thrice on a table with variant abilities, rangng from another +2 intelligence to negative energy healing etc.

According to my buddy, it says they already have +2 int, iirc. I don't have my buddies books, but that's what he says.

Elvencloud
2011-07-23, 07:09 PM
And any essential spells? The only first level spell that screams to me is charm person... or maybe fumbletongue for the flavor.

Curious
2011-07-23, 07:13 PM
Humans in Pathfinder get a +2 bonus to any stat they like, so go ahead and take them as your race.

For first level spells, Color Spray is a must have for any debuffer, and Enlarge Person could prove useful for your fighter comrades as well.

Retech
2011-07-23, 07:13 PM
Spells for a witch aren't that important at start. They lack useful battlecontrol like grease, so the best approach would be to spam hexes until say level 3 or 5, when you can get some nice spells to work with.

---

Are you sure witches get color spray? :smallconfused:

Curious
2011-07-23, 07:17 PM
I'm actually not sure, I haven't checked the Witch spell list in any great detail. They probably have a patron who gives it to them as a 1st level bonus spell though.