PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Unbound Summoner (Archetype) (P.E.A.C.H)

RiskyJubles
2011-07-23, 07:07 PM
I made this archetype for a player in my game who wants his eidolon to be more of a real character. Both personality-wise and in combat.

Although I think it's interesting and solves his problem, I'm worried that it's not very balanced. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I can't, for the life of me, think up a cool name for the archetypes core ability (The one that grants class features). Any suggestions?

Unbound (Archetype)

Some summoners use their eidolons as extensions of themselves. But others free their eidolon, losing the magic link and much of its power, but forming a link of trust instead. In exchange, the eidolon becomes free to seek its own path, gaining powerful abilities.

Trust Link (Su): After a summoner frees their eidolon, it becomes extremely protective of their friend. Whenever the summoner takes
enough damage to reduce it the 0 hit points or less, the eidolon can, as a free action, sacrifice any number of hit points. Each hit point sacrificed in this way prevents 1 point of damage done to the summoner. This can prevent the summoner from falling unconscious.
In addition, the eidolon is freed and can travel any distance from the summoner without suffering any negative effects. This ability replaces Life Link and Bond Senses.

Freed Eidolon (Ex): The increased independace a unbound summoner offers their eidolon allows it to become for powerful and learn abilities outside of its normal range. The eidolon now has hit dice equal to their summoner, gaining all HP, base attack bonus, saves, skills and feats granted by the hit dice.
Starting at 3rd level, the eidolon may gain the abilities of a class. It picks a single base class and from that point on, it has access to the class features and/or spells as if it had levels in the class equal to half its hit dice. In addition, the ediolon uses its chosen classes HP and save progression. The eidolon is not eligible to gain archetypes. This ability replaces casting summon monster as a spell-like ability.

Eidolon's Watch (Su): At 6th level, if the summoner is unconscious or asleep, the eidolon is no longer immediately banished. This replaces Maker’s Call and Transposition.

Trust Bond (Su): At 14th level, as long as the summoner has 1 or more hit points, the eidolon cannot be killed. Damage in excess of that which would dismiss the eidolon is instead transferred to the summoner. This damage is transferred 1 point at a time, meaning that as soon as the summoner is reduced to a number of negative hit points equal to its Constitution score, all excess damage remains with the eidolon, dismissing it. Effects that cause death but not damage are unaffected by this ability. This ability does not affect spells like baleful polymorph, flesh to stone, or imprisonment, or other spells that do not cause actual damage. This ability replaces Life Bond.

Free to Act (Ex): At 16th level, as a full-round action, a summoner can grant their eidolon a standard action to take on the summoner's initiative. At 20th level, the summoner can grant a full-round action. This ability replaces Merge Forms and Twin Eidolon.

EdroGrimshell
2011-07-23, 09:33 PM
I'd use this, mostly for flavor reasons since i don't go for power and prefer the trust approach described here.

RiskyJubles
2011-07-24, 07:35 AM
I'd use this, mostly for flavor reasons since i don't go for power and prefer the trust approach described here.

Thanks Edro.

I've reworked the key ability a little bit. let me know if it's an improvement.

Independent Eidolon (Ex): The increased independace a unbound summoner offers their eidolon allows it to become more powerful than a average eidolon. The eidolon now has hit dice equal to their summoner, gaining all associated features and abilities. If the summoner has the leadership feat or similar ability, they must choose their eidolon as their cohort. The eidolon may replace their hit dice with a number of class levels determined by the summoner's leadership score.
In addition, the eidolon may now use armor and magic items. The eidolon must possess the appropriate appendages to utilize a magic item. This ability replaces casting summon monster as a spell-like ability.

EdroGrimshell
2011-07-24, 12:25 PM
Independent Eidolon (Ex): The increased independace a unbound summoner offers their eidolon allows it to become more powerful than a average eidolon. The eidolon now has hit dice equal to their summoner, gaining all associated features and abilities. If the summoner has the leadership feat or similar ability, they must choose their eidolon as their cohort. The eidolon may replace their hit dice with a number of class levels determined by the summoner's leadership score.
In addition, the eidolon may now use armor and magic items. The eidolon must possess the appropriate appendages to utilize a magic item. This ability replaces casting summon monster as a spell-like ability.

Oh i like this even more now. Works perfectly for one of my character ideas that never got into a game. Though it was gestalt pathfinder so that may have been the reason (it was a summoner//alchemist whose eidolon was actually her homunculus, a small 4 armed creature with a poisonous stinger). Adding a few levels of rogue, apprentice (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/4-winds-fantasy-gaming/apprentice), or artificer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer) would make it more fun. Only thing i'd comment on is that you don't specify if it can gain levels as a cohort or as a follower, big difference.

RiskyJubles
2011-07-25, 04:12 AM
Thanks Edro,

This game is a PF/3.5 Gestalt, so it sounds perfect.

Also, you could give your eidolon your cohort HP.

I thank you, and so does my game's summoner :D

EdroGrimshell
2011-07-25, 04:19 AM
Thanks Edro,

This game is a PF/3.5 Gestalt, so it sounds perfect.

Also, you could give your eidolon your cohort HP.

I thank you, and so does my game's summoner :D

Glad to have helped :smallbiggrin: