PDA

View Full Version : Hit & Run (Rogue fun)

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-07-23, 07:13 PM
Alright, let us explore the boundaries of possibility;

I have drafted up a level 17 toon for my friend’s campaign, and wish to undertake the hit and run approach.

1a) My question is simple. Is it possible to be hidden at the start of your turn (from a hide check made in the previous round) move to attack a foe with spring attack (rendering him flat footed), then successfully return to hiding as you blend back into the surroundings?

1b) I also have Bounding Assault, which allows me to attack twice as part of a spring attack. Would the opponent be flat footed for both attacks, or the primary attack only?

Factor’s to bolster this outlandish claim:

HiPS - 1st level Shadowdancer dip. Can hide whilst being observed in shadowy area’s.
(I’m effectively 10 Sorc, if anyone knows any arcane shadow creation spells let me know)

My hide check is sitting at a cool +48 currently, so a minus would still allow it to be plausible (even at a - 20, +28 to hide isn’t looking so bad)

Skill tricks such as Mosquito’s Bite from CSc have been taken.

Ring of the Dark Hidden - Invisible to Darkvision in dark area’s. (2k...steal!)

Exert from the CAd (p101)
Move between Cover: If you’re already hiding (thanks to cover or concealment) and you have at least 5 ranks in Hide, you can make a Hide check (with a penalty) to try to move across an area that does not offer cover or con- cealment without revealing yourself. For every 5 ranks in Hide you possess, you can move up to 5 feet between one hiding place and another. For every 5 feet of open space you must cross between hiding places, you take a –5 penalty on your Hide check. If you move at more than one-half your speed, you also take the normal penalty on Hide checks when moving quickly (–10 for moving faster than normal speed, or –5 for moving between half speed and normal speed).
You can also use this option to sneak up on someone from a hiding place. For every 5 feet of open space between you and the target, you take a –5 penalty on your Hide check. If your Hide check succeeds, your target doesn’t notice you until you attack or make some other attention-grabbing action. Such a target is treated as being flat-footed with respect to you.
For example, Lidda the 2nd-level rogue could attempt to dash across a 5-foot-wide doorway without revealing her presence to the orcs inside. Even though the open doorway provides no cover or concealment, she can attempt a Hide check as normal, opposed by the orcs’ Spot checks. She takes a –5 penalty on her check because of the distance involved. If she moved at more than half her speed, she would take an additional –5 or –10 penalty on the check depending on how fast she moved (see above).

HappyBlanket
2011-07-23, 07:41 PM
edit: Sorry in advance if this isn't what you wanted. I only skimmed, and got excited because it reminded me of a character build I recently developed.

Have you considered Gloom Razor (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1232-gloom-razor.html)? It requires one prereq (a good one that replaces Str with Dex adds Dex to damage rolls) and a one level dip in Swordsage, but it'll get you some pretty sweet tricks.

Lingering Doom lets you benefit from invisibility (there's your Hide) if your opponent misses you due to concealment. Incidentally, a 1st level Shadow Hand stance will grant you 20% concealment indefinitely (That's Child of Shadow).

Moving Shadows lets you treat enemies as flatfooted (Sneak Attaaaaaack!) if you move at least 10ft after attacking.

Morithias
2011-07-23, 08:20 PM
Check out Five Nations Eberron book for the "Dark lantern" class. At level 9 (which should be NO problem thanks to you being level 17) they get hide in plain sight in ANY conditions.

Standard action: Stab,
Move action: run and cloak.

Greenish
2011-07-23, 08:20 PM
1a) Yes.

1b) Both.

Pounce + Travel Devotion would allow for a full attack and retreat. Snap Kick (ToB) would add an extra attack on the Spring Attack.

I believe the "hide-spring-poke-spring-hide" school of roguery is called "Curmudgeon style". :smalltongue:

[Edit]:
Check out Five Nations Eberron book for the "Dark lantern" class. At level 9 (which should be NO problem thanks to you being level 17) they get hide in plain sight in ANY conditions.Not worth it, though, since the class is otherwise quite lacklustre.

Aergoth
2011-07-23, 08:55 PM
10th level sorcerer, well then! That gives us some options!
The obvious being Darkness/Deeper Darkness from the SRD. But then you've also got a few other nifty options.
The image line of spells can give you concealment or cover as long as the illusion is intact.
Grab Distract Assailant and Accelerated Movement from Complete Adventurer for more Flat-footed goodness, and moving silently at full speed.
Forgotten Realms has "Blacklight" (may also be in Deities and Demigods), which is another portable form of darkness with the added bonus that the caster can see normally while inside of it.
Consider using something like mage hand, ray of frost or prestidigitation to snuff out torches. Shadow hand from Magic of Faerun might work for that.
The portable shade (2000 GP) from Sandstorm may work for creating shade out doors.

Greenish
2011-07-23, 09:08 PM
Darklight from SoS can create non-magical complete darkness. Combine with Ring of Darkhidden and Darkvision.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-23, 10:11 PM
Darklight from SoS can create non-magical complete darkness.
I wouldn't use that term, because the default is psionics-magic transparency.
Prerequisite: A darklight must be imbued with psionic energy in order to function.
Combining Psionic And Magical Effects

The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency.

Psionics-Magic Transparency

Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics. So a psionic device like a Darklight is considered magical.

Greenish
2011-07-23, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't use that term, because the default is psionics-magic transparency. So a psionic device like a Darklight is considered magical.The item is psionic/magic, yes, but the light or darkness created by it isn't:

The light and shadow created by Darklight is not magical or psionic in nature…

Curmudgeon
2011-07-24, 04:45 AM
I think you left out something important there:

The light and shadow created by a darklight is not magical or psionic in nature, and so can be overcome by any source of magical or psionic light or shadow. While the illumination effect isn't magical, the Darklight device itself is. It'll register to Detect Magic. Any magical light or darkness will overwhelm that illumination, so being rendered ineffective by a cantrip/orison is an important limitation to such a nonmagical effect.

There is one particular benefit of this distinction, though. An Antimagic Field will only affect the illumination if it's covering the Darklight device itself, and will have no effect in the area of illumination. So, in fairly limited circumstances, the nonmagical nature of Darklight illumination might be a plus.

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-24, 04:54 AM
Just my two cents, but the Dark template out of ToM provides HiPS and some other sick abilities as a +1 LA template.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-24, 07:36 AM
Just my two cents, but the Dark template out of ToM provides HiPS and some other sick abilities as a +1 LA template.
That's hardly worth comparing to the Shadowdancer's Hide in Plain Sight. Dark Creature template HiPS is Extraordinary and only removes the "not being observed" requirement to Hide; Shadowdancer HiPS is Supernatural and also removes the other Hide requirement of cover/concealment. So Dark Creature HiPS won't work unless there's cover/concealment, and still won't work even with cover/concealment in daylight.

Kuma Kode
2011-07-24, 07:45 AM
I have drafted up a level 17 toon for my friend’s campaign I cringe whenever someone refers to a D&D character as a "toon."

Have you considered Gloom Razor (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1232-gloom-razor.html)? It requires one prereq (a good one that replaces Str with Dex on damage rolls) and a one level dip in Swordsage, but it'll get you some pretty sweet tricks. Note that Happy Blanket is slightly incorrect; Shadow Blade is actually better than indicated. Nowhere does it say that you replace your Strength with Dex, it says you add your Dexterity to damage whenever in a Shadow Hand stance. Full stop. So when in a Shadow Hand stance, it's Weapon Damage + Str modifier + Dex mod.

Gloom Razor does seem rather nice for what you want.

Xtomjames
2011-07-24, 08:03 AM
Simple answer to your questions, build a Quickling Rogue. Has natural invisibility (which can't bee seen through even with True Sight or See Invisibility) so long as it stands still, has a speed of 120 feet, and is all about the run by attack.

HappyBlanket
2011-07-24, 12:54 PM
Note that Happy Blanket is slightly incorrect; Shadow Blade is actually better than indicated. Nowhere does it say that you replace your Strength with Dex, it says you add your Dexterity to damage whenever in a Shadow Hand stance. Full stop. So when in a Shadow Hand stance, it's Weapon Damage + Str modifier + Dex mod.

Gloom Razor does seem rather nice for what you want.

Woooops. Still, that's only more reason for you to take it.

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-24, 07:30 PM
That's hardly worth comparing to the Shadowdancer's Hide in Plain Sight. Dark Creature template HiPS is Extraordinary and only removes the "not being observed" requirement to Hide; Shadowdancer HiPS is Supernatural and also removes the other Hide requirement of cover/concealment. So Dark Creature HiPS won't work unless there's cover/concealment, and still won't work even with cover/concealment in daylight.

My bad. I hadn't realized that they were different abilities with the same name.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-24, 09:20 PM
My bad. I hadn't realized that they were different abilities with the same name.
There are at least eight different versions of Hide in Plain Sight. The Tome of Magic Dark Creature template HiPS is the weakest of all versions.

Morithias
2011-07-24, 10:08 PM
There are at least eight different versions of Hide in Plain Sight. The Tome of Magic Dark Creature template HiPS is the weakest of all versions.

Why would that be? I'm using it in a campaign right now (true almost all the action takes place at night), but it seems to be working out ok.