PDA

View Full Version : Iaijutsu Focus!

Angeal976
2011-07-23, 10:25 PM
I was wondering if there was anyway to boost up my Iaijutsu focus check other then just putting ranks in it. I know I can do that, but is there anything else? Does it have skill synergy with anything? Also I know about factotum's but I don't really wanna be a jack of all trades guy. I was thinking more like just OA samurai and then Iaijutsu master.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-23, 10:35 PM
The quick in dirty is the item familiar feat (UA). There are other, classier options, though.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-23, 10:41 PM
Balance synergies with it. Also Guidance of the Avatar. +20 on next skill check.

SiuiS
2011-07-23, 10:41 PM
Not really, no.

If I recall, there a couple feats which give tiny bonuses; skill focus, iaijutsu master (or similar), and a couple of minor boosts in Rokugan campaign setting.

An item familiar, if acquired, can grant bonuses. You can enchant the scabbard/saya to give you a bonus to iaijutsu checks. The improvisation spell grants a pool of points which can be spent to boost any d20 roll by half of your caster level.

So an intelligent, trained, item familiar scabbard could give youths aid another bonus (+2), work like a masterwork iaijutsu skill item (+2), grant a skill bonus of up to... +30 I believe, and as it's special purpose allow use of improvisation and also summon the sword back into itself as a free action... That's a minimum of 5+1/2 level (away from library so I'm not sure what exactly stacks) along with potential to full attack via iaijutsu, for a relatively hefty price tag.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-23, 10:42 PM
Go Human, get Able Learner, take OA Samurai 2/ Warblade 5/ Iaijutsu Master 5/ Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) 1/ Warblade+. You'll get a bonus feat from Samurai and one from Warblade, so make those your prerequisites for IM. Your Marshal minor aura should be Motivate Charisma, so you get to add your Cha bonus to your IF rolls twice. There's also Skill Focus, a Masterwork Tool for +2 (a banner, maybe), a Circlet of Persuasion, and maybe a custom magic item which grants a competence bonus to your IF checks.

Warblade will allow you to qualify for Fighter-only feats like Weapon Specialization, Melee Weapon Mastery, etc., plus the maneuvers and stances it grants are far better than what you'd get from more Samurai levels. The Daisho class feature is based on your character level rather than your class level, so you'll be able to keep upgrading your weapons higher regardless of what classes you take. Iaijutsu Master isn't very useful after the 5th level, so you're better off not taking any more than that.

Angeal976
2011-07-23, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the replies! How much would a +2 masterwork tool cost? Also I already planned on being a human, but I haven't heard of able leaner. What does that do, and what book is it from?

EDIT: Also how much would a custom magic item that grants a competence bonus cost?

SiuiS
2011-07-23, 11:12 PM
A masterwork scabbard would cost 50 gold more than a normal scabbard, approximately (so add it to the price of the sword, since your starting free katana is masterwork).

As for circumstance items... I don't know. I never found that info myself, thouh I'm told it's in plain sight. I think it involves the square of the skill bonus, times X gold... But I will let someone with the right info hit that one.

You can find a lot of this info online though. The d20 SRD (system resource document) covers a lot of it, including the prices of intelligent and custom items, the Item Familiar feat and it's benefits, and some other goodies. But by the time I get to the right page, someone else will probably already have answered you :smallwink:

EDIT: maybe not.
Cost of skill bonus is square of the bonus multiplied by 100. So 10k for a +10 competence bonus, which stacks with masterwork and aid another.

Finally, if the item requires ranks in a specific skill to function, or can only be used by characters of a certain class or alignment, you can reduce the final cost; 10% less for skill requirement, 30% less for class or alignment or similar. Although as guidelines, this can be vetoed by the DM.

The-Mage-King
2011-07-23, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the replies! How much would a +2 masterwork tool cost? Also I already planned on being a human, but I haven't heard of able leaner. What does that do, and what book is it from?

EDIT: Also how much would a custom magic item that grants a competence bonus cost?

The cost of a masterwork tool, in the equipment chapter of the PH; let's you spend one skill point for one rank in a crossclass skill, Races of Destiny; Bonus squared x 100 gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) (scroll down a bit).

Thurbane
2011-07-23, 11:23 PM
A guy I played with in an online game had a Manticore-hide scabbard as his Iaijutsu Masterwork tool.

If you can get access to spells or UMD a wand, the spell Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030504x) is pretty sweet.

[edit]Seriously ninja'd there...[edit]

SiuiS
2011-07-23, 11:28 PM
One final bit of help.
An intelligent item with three lesser powers (use a first level spell 3/day, 10 ranks in Iaijutsu focus, summon sword back to scabbard) costs approximately 11,000 gold on to of the base price of an item being magic.

There is a series of feats though, in Way of the Samurai, which progressively improves the OA samurai's daisho, and makes it an intelligent magic item with a special purpose (series of 5 feats) over time. If possible, those may be worth looking into, even more so if you can talk the DM into letting magic items grant feats.

The-Mage-King
2011-07-23, 11:30 PM
A guy I played with in an online game had a Manticore-hide scabbard as his Iaijutsu Masterwork tool.

What has two thumbs and a feeble justification for a +2 to Iaijutsu Focus checks? THIS GUY! *Points thumbs at self*

Ahem. Yeah. Fluffing it as being made from a defeated monster might help, too.

Angeal976
2011-07-23, 11:30 PM
Once again thanks for the help. What is way of the samurai though?

The-Mage-King
2011-07-23, 11:32 PM

A Legend of the Five Rings sourcebook published by Alderac Entertainment, I believe.

Togath
2011-07-23, 11:32 PM
A supplement book for the Rokugan/OA campaign settings

Thurbane
2011-07-23, 11:44 PM
What has two thumbs and a feeble justification for a +2 to Iaijutsu Focus checks? THIS GUY! *Points thumbs at self*

Ahem. Yeah. Fluffing it as being made from a defeated monster might help, too.
Ah, that was you? Sorry, I couldn't remember who's character was who's! :smallredface:

The-Mage-King
2011-07-23, 11:46 PM
Ah, that was you? Sorry, I couldn't remember who's character was who's! :smallredface:

N/P. I understand how that is. The character was going to be pretty fun to play, I thought... You know? Shame about what happened to that game.

SiuiS
2011-07-24, 12:39 AM

yes, it is a supplement from Alderac. After Oriental Adventures they did a follow up on the legend of the five rings campaign setting specifically; then they did separate soft-cover splat books for ninja, shugenja, samurai, magic in general, each clan, and some others. I bought a couple of them, but then realized I would almost never get a chance to use them (or any other third-party material) unless I was DMing.

It's great when I am DMing though. I've got a ninja/fighter who does d6 x3, 13-20 at level 8. I'm not sure the party can handle him :smallbiggrin:

Wings of Peace
2011-07-24, 05:51 AM
If you have bard levels or just a bard available don't forget the spell Improvisation!

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 08:30 AM
yes, it is a supplement from Alderac. After Oriental Adventures they did a follow up on the legend of the five rings campaign setting specifically; then they did separate soft-cover splat books for ninja, shugenja, samurai, magic in general, each clan, and some others. I bought a couple of them, but then realized I would almost never get a chance to use them (or any other third-party material) unless I was DMing.

It's great when I am DMing though. I've got a ninja/fighter who does d6 x3, 13-20 at level 8. I'm not sure the party can handle him :smallbiggrin:

Well my DM pretty much allows all of the books. It's just up to us to get them and stuff. I dunno if this would count though, it seems a little different so I should probably ask.

Xtomjames
2011-07-24, 08:34 AM
Isn't there a feat that allows you to apply ki focus as well to Ianjutsu? So levels in monk, ninja, samurai that use ki can also be applied to supplement ianjutsu on top of skill synergies and items that boost ianjutsu or the ability score it's based off of.

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 08:51 AM
Isn't there a feat that allows you to apply ki focus as well to Ianjutsu? So levels in monk, ninja, samurai that use ki can also be applied to supplement ianjutsu on top of skill synergies and items that boost ianjutsu or the ability score it's based off of.

I'm not sure I will have to check that out. That could be helpful since balance is the only skill synergy with iaijutsu.

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 10:00 AM
Balance has synergy with Iaijutsu? What's the source for that?

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 10:05 AM
Balance synergies with it. Also Guidance of the Avatar. +20 on next skill check.

Actually I dunno what source that is from, I just heard it did, so I went with it. If balance dosn't have synergy with it does anything?

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 10:08 AM
The OA skill description for Iaijutsu Focus doesn't mention synergies. Maybe it was errataed?

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 11:54 AM
The OA skill description for Iaijutsu Focus doesn't mention synergies. Maybe it was errataed?

Hm. Maybe. I guess I will have to see if I can figure it out, or find it somewhere.

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 11:59 AM
Hm, not in the errata either.

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 12:27 PM
Hm, not in the errata either.

Oh. Well I guess Iaijutsu has no skill synergy then. That stinks, but oh well.

Xtomjames
2011-07-24, 12:34 PM
All skill shave synergies. I believe I posted in a different thread that ianjutsu has synergies from concentration ranks, spellcraft, psicraft, and potentially a knowledges. I'm 99% sure on concentration the others couuld be houserules I'm remembering however.

Edit: Okay so here's the deal and my take on it. "Skill Synergy

It's possible for a character to have two skills that work well together. In general, having 5 or more ranks in one skill gives the character a +2 bonus on skill checks with each of its synergistic skills, as noted in the skill description. In some cases, this bonus applies only to specific uses of the skill in question, and not to all checks. Some skills provide benefits on other checks made by a character, such as those checks required to use certain class features." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm). Not all skills have synergies provided, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Ianjtusu is about focusing ki, so anything that deals with ki focus also deals with ianjutsu. Thus concentration is definitely a synergy skill. I'd also argue that anything that is synergistic with concentration checks or that concentration would give synergy to is also synergistic with ianjutsu. Thus knowledge checks in religion or arcana, psi craft and spellcraft would be synergistic.

Since Ki is treated as a magical/psionic affect I do believe these would apply. It's something to discuss with your DM.

Greenish
2011-07-24, 12:38 PM
All skill shave synergies.No, they don't. For example, Listen or Disable Device.

The link you provide is homebrew, not the official rules.

[Edit]: The link you provided. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 12:40 PM
All skill shave synergies. I believe I posted in a different thread that ianjutsu has synergies from concentration ranks, spellcraft, psicraft, and potentially a knowledges. I'm 99% sure on concentration the others couuld be houserules I'm remembering however.
Um, no. The following core skills gain no synergy bonuses:
Bluff
Concentration
Craft
Decipher Script
Disable Device
Forgery
Handle Animal
Heal
Hide
Listen
Move Silently
Open Lock
Perform
Profession
Search
Sense Motive
Speak Language
Spot
Swim

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 12:51 PM
Hm, well according to this website iaijutsu focus gains synergy with balance.
http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/3.5_L5R_Skills

Is that a trustable website? Or is it more like a homebrew thing?

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 12:53 PM
Legend of the 5 Rings is a third party supplement series - the synergy is not part of 1st party D&D.

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 12:57 PM
Legend of the 5 Rings is a third party supplement series - the synergy is not part of 1st party D&D.

What does that mean? What's the difference between 1st and 3rd party?

Xtomjames
2011-07-24, 01:00 PM
Again, All skills have synergies, just because they're not listed doesn't mean they do not exist.

Certain skills may work together well. The list gives suggested synergies that exist in the core rule book. No where in the book does it say that synergies are limited to the listed synergies, nor does it say in the core rule book that only specific skills have synergies.

In other words synergies are left up to the DM and player to decide and are much like the Truenamer spells that exist versus what the DM and Player can make up.

Here's an exact quote "Skill Synergy
It’s possible for a character to have two skills that work well
together, such as someone with both Jump and Tumble. In general,
having 5 or more ranks in one skill gives the character a +2 bonus on
skill checks with each of its synergistic skills, as noted in the skill
description and on Table 4–5: Skill Synergies. In some cases, this
bonus applies only to specific uses of the skill in question, and not to
all checks. Some skills provide benefits on other checks made by a
character, such as those checks required to use certain class features.
Your DM may limit certain synergies if desired, or he may add
more synergies for specific situations.(emphasis added)"page 66

So to clarify, all skills have synergies, but it's up to the DM to add them. Not all skills in the RAW list have synergies provided.

Primary party or First party is the primary makers. Wizards of the Coast in this case. 3rd party is defined as non-Wizards of the coast licensed (through OGL) books. Third party books aren't sanctioned by WotC. Secondary supplements are licensed by WotC but aren't made by the primary writers of the game system. Eberron is an example of this, as are the Quintessential books written by Mongoose. Some Sword and Sorcery books are 2nd party books but most are 3rd party. None the less it is still up to your DM to decide.

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 01:00 PM
1st party is stuff directly published by Wizards of the Coast - books like Complete Warrior or Tome of Battle. Third party material is published by other companies based on the Open Gaming License that some of 3.5 is licensed under, like Hyperconscious or the Book of Erotic Fantasy. The material in these books isn't always checked for balance, so it can be patently ridiculous (such as negative LA templates put out by Green Ronin). Essentially the only difference between 3rd party material and homebrew is that somebody paid money to publish the former.

Xtomjames, that's called homebrew, and has absolutely no bearing on by-the-book discussion. Yes, individual DMs can add content as they see fit, but outside a specific gaming group that content does not exist and cannot be assumed to.

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 01:03 PM
Okay, so I need to ask my DM if Iaijutsu focus can have skill synergy, and if I can use 3rd party books, like way of the samurai.

Xtomjames
2011-07-24, 01:05 PM
1st party is stuff directly published by Wizards of the Coast - books like Complete Warrior or Tome of Battle. Third party material is published by other companies based on the Open Gaming License that some of 3.5 is licensed under, like Hyperconscious or the Book of Erotic Fantasy. The material in these books isn't always checked for balance, so it can be patently ridiculous (such as negative LA templates put out by Green Ronin). Essentially the only difference between 3rd party material and homebrew is that somebody paid money to publish the former.

Xtomjames, that's called homebrew, and has absolutely no bearing on by-the-book discussion. Yes, individual DMs can add content as they see fit, but outside a specific gaming group that content does not exist and cannot be assumed to.

Who ever said this was a RAW or By the Book discussion? He was asking ways to buff up ianjutsu, skill synergies are one of them. What more, if we are to be exact in our definition of By the Book, then technically it is completely with in the grasp of the player. Why, because it's in the book...quoted no less.

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 01:09 PM
Who ever said this was a RAW or By the Book discussion? He was asking ways to buff up ianjutsu, skill synergies are one of them. What more, if we are to be exact in our definition of By the Book, then technically it is completely with in the grasp of the player. Why, because it's in the book...quoted no less.
Uh, no. It says "your DM".

But hell, if we're not going by the book, then let me suggest the most awesome skill - Synergy! Synergy synergizes with everything! And gives a +3 bonus instead of +2! And is a class skill for Lightning Warrior, which you should take!

Discussions without a common rule set are meaningless because the same conditions will not be true for all involved.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-24, 01:14 PM

That's the default assumption, because if we're not discussing RAW, it's hard to give intelligent advice. You're perfectly right in saying skill synergies can be a way to buff your iajutsu bonus, but by RAW, there ARE not synergies, so you can't just say "You can get synergies from these skills." That's outright lying. Instead, that's when you say "there's precedent for this in the rules, ask your DM if he'll make a houserule for this."

Greenish
2011-07-24, 01:18 PM
Hm, well according to this website iaijutsu focus gains synergy with balance.
http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/3.5_L5R_Skills

Is that a trustable website? Or is it more like a homebrew thing?It's a homebrew conversion of a 3rd party product to 3.5 rules.

Everest
2011-07-24, 02:13 PM
So, as it turns out, I happen to be the DM for the game Angeal976 is working on a character for right now. And I'm not sure if I want to put a flat-out ban on 3rd-party products, especially if it would help a Tier 5 character, but it might save me the trouble of having my players go look for questionable material. And pre-established homebrew is right out. Though it would make sense for Balance and Concentration to have synergy with Iaijutsu, so I'll allow that.

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 02:39 PM
So, as it turns out, I happen to be the DM for the game Angeal976 is working on a character for right now. And I'm not sure if I want to put a flat-out ban on 3rd-party products, especially if it would help a Tier 5 character, but it might save me the trouble of having my players go look for questionable material. And pre-established homebrew is right out. Though it would make sense for Balance and Concentration to have synergy with Iaijutsu, so I'll allow that.

Really? Iaijutsu can have two skill synergies?

Everest
2011-07-24, 02:42 PM
Really? Iaijutsu can have two skill synergies?

If it makes sense (and it does; general "it"), sure.

SiuiS
2011-07-24, 05:00 PM
The feat chain in question has a high level requirement, now that I've had a chance to check. And I cited the wrong book, too. Haha.

What level of iaijutsu skill are you comfortable with though? I'd say, personally, having iai damage a die or two above the sneak attack of a rogue of equal level would be fine (The damage being higher to make up for sneak attack being more useful). So that's about a +5 bonus every what, 3 levels? Or every two? You should catch up about about 10th level then, with some front-loading early on.

Rough estimates as I had to drop my book at home and am now at a bus stop.

Anyway, sent you/Everest some more detailed information for the hay of it.

Angeal976
2011-07-24, 05:45 PM
The feat chain in question has a high level requirement, now that I've had a chance to check. And I cited the wrong book, too. Haha.

What level of iaijutsu skill are you comfortable with though? I'd say, personally, having iai damage a die or two above the sneak attack of a rogue of equal level would be fine (The damage being higher to make up for sneak attack being more useful). So that's about a +5 bonus every what, 3 levels? Or every two? You should catch up about about 10th level then, with some front-loading early on.

Rough estimates as I had to drop my book at home and am now at a bus stop.

Anyway, sent you/Everest some more detailed information for the hay of it.

Okay thanks a lot. You really helped me out. I really appreciate it. Also Everest is allowing me to use Way of the Samurai, so I plan on taking Hoturi's Blade as a prestige class after Iaijutsu Master.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-25, 12:26 PM
I remember reading that it had synergy with balance somewhere, but I went back and checked. I was wrong.

Angeal976
2011-07-25, 01:10 PM
I remember reading that it had synergy with balance somewhere, but I went back and checked. I was wrong.

Ah, okay. Well thanks for replying.