PDA

View Full Version : why are there so few red wizards?

drack
2011-07-23, 11:34 PM
Are red wizards taboo? I just wonder because they're one of those really good PRCs, and I don't think I've seen a single one on the forums yet :smallconfused: and if they are taboo, are there others I should avoid?

*.*.*.*
2011-07-23, 11:37 PM
When Red Wizard is involved, the build/discussion is mid-to-high OP. Red Wizards can destroy pantheons with Cantrips, it isn't a weak PrC in the slightest

The-Mage-King
2011-07-23, 11:38 PM
It's just that, compared to other prestige classes, they're kinda... Meh.

Though you can do some nasty stuff with their circle magic, that's for sure.

TheOOB
2011-07-23, 11:38 PM
a) they are not really that good, base wizard is better

and

b) they are intrinsically tied to a very specific organization in a specific campaign setting

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-23, 11:39 PM
I believe because of two reasons. Reason one: Hathrens do it better (Fayrun Campaign Setting is the better of the two but that is up to your DM). Second, Circle Magic is extremely cheesy, and almost everyone knows it.

ericgrau
2011-07-23, 11:39 PM
Well, it seems like you need lots of allies to cooperate for circle magic, so it's hard to organize.

*.*.*.*
2011-07-23, 11:44 PM
so it's hard to organize.

Similacrum and Leadership= Done

Circle Magic is retardedly cheesy

drack
2011-07-23, 11:46 PM
ahh, so mostly taboo cuz they're full of cheese :smallbiggrin:
circle magic can be done with you and two random commoners (whom you tattoo), so that's not really the problem... things always wonder from other multiverses, I hear the common ones are relatively close=high chance of wandering so setting specific shouldn't be that hard to bypass...

Taelas
2011-07-24, 12:10 AM
Unless you're a Diviner, Red Wizard simply causes you to lose too many schools.

But Diviner Red Wizards are good.

Of course, you're still a Red Wizard of Thay, which is not exactly the greatest thing to be in Faerūn.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-24, 12:50 AM
Circle Magic is horribly cheesy, and everything else they get is pretty meh. So either they break the game or they suck, depending on whether you abuse Circle Magic.

Eldariel
2011-07-24, 07:28 AM
Basically, Red Wizard is acknowledged to be the strongest PRC in the game but it's awfully specific not to mention an overpowered addition to an already overpowered class. If you want The Most Broken Core Character, it's trivially Wizard 5/Red Wizard 10/Loremaster 1/Archmage 4. We don't exactly talk about Hathrans, Halruaan Elders, Spelldancers, Incantatars, Dweomerkeepers & co. a lot either. Too easy is too easy, and when Wizard is already on the top of the heap, adding more power to it than what Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil provides tends to be a bit much.