PDA

View Full Version : So, how have you fluffed your Masterwork tools?

The-Mage-King
2011-07-23, 11:36 PM
Yep. What sort of item do you say the masterwork tool for your chosen skill is?

I tend to default to these.

Knowledge (any): book of some sort

Iaijutsu Focus: Scabbard made of some rare material

Hide: Camouflaged clothing

Move Silently: soft soled shoes.

Dilplomacy: fine clothing

Ect...

What about you all?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-23, 11:43 PM
My masterwork tool of Tumble is a pair of tights.

awa
2011-07-23, 11:43 PM
i had a gnome character with glasses +2 spot search, and appraise
although at 3 pounds they were heavy glasses

DefKab
2011-07-23, 11:45 PM
I once fluffed my masterwork jumping tool as the Long Fall Boots from Portal.

Yup.

Portal...

gorfnab
2011-07-24, 12:07 AM
Masterwork Tool of UMD - either a focusing crystal or a book entitled Lies to Tell Magic Items

Survival - either a survival guide book or a tricked out Leatherman style utility pocket knife. This Swiss Army Knife (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8b97/) should give at least +2 to survival checks if not more.

Bluff - sunglasses, like the kind professional poker players wear

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-24, 12:11 AM
My masterwork tools of profession (superhero) are long underwear and a cape. :smalltongue:

*.*.*.*
2011-07-24, 12:23 AM
I'm not allowed to say what modified Perform(Sexual Technique)

SiuiS
2011-07-24, 12:30 AM
I operate from the position of "anything that makes sense". Iaijutsu could be the scabbard, the clothing (well designed and weighted sleeves), a gauzy blindfold to allow the character to focus better (by inhibiting sight), or even a part of the weapon (for the appropriate cost).

That last one is my favorite, too. As a character, I've used various masks (for a woman who didn't like strangers seeing her face; you can find her on these boards somewhere), clothing (diplomacy, sleight of hand, survival), and I have an adventuring wizard whose weapon (a club fluffed as a gentleman's walking stick) works as a bonus to balance (like a pole), climb (hooked handle), intimidate, appraise (finely weighted and balanced for comparison of scales/balances) and... One other skill that I never used.

All of this has to be done at once however; so the cane would require commissioning a masterwork club along with several masterwork competence devices, all from the same smith.

herrhauptmann
2011-07-24, 12:42 AM
Yep. What sort of item do you say the masterwork tool for your chosen skill is?

I tend to default to these.

Knowledge (any): book of some sort

Iaijutsu Focus: Scabbard made of some rare material

Hide: Camouflaged clothing

Move Silently: soft soled shoes.

Dilplomacy: fine clothing

Ect...

What about you all?
I haven't put much effort into describing my masterwork items. But some, perhaps a rubber squeeze ball for concentration.
Usually, if a character of mine needs skill boosts, I just get a 'ring of skills,' (+5 or 10 to the skills I think I'llneed a lot of. Usually spot/search) or incorporate it into my armor.

Generally, I end up telling my players
ME: "No you cannot just HAVE a MW Tool for these 9 skills."
Player: "But the book says I can have a masterwork tool for any skill. Why won't you give it to me?"
ME: "Well what does the tool look like? How are you going to use it at the same time that you're performing the skill?"
Player:"A masterwork tool, really well made."
ME: *Facepalm*

So, I actually really appreciate you making this thread to help get peoples creative (and plagiaristic) juices flowing.

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 12:47 AM
Iaijutsu Focus is a bottle of sheathe lubricant.

Jeff the Green
2011-07-24, 12:49 AM
A Vignere cipher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigen%C3%A8re_cipher) machine for Profession (Spy).

A bracelet with a hidden blade for Escape Artist.

A pole for Jump.

A pair of silk gloves for Sleight of Hand.

gorfnab
2011-07-24, 01:21 AM
Appraise - an accurate scale/balance or jewelers magnifying glass
Balance - a pole
Bluff - sunglasses or a mask
Climb - climbers kit
Concentration - focusing crystal, incense, candle, ear plugs
Craft - artisans tools
Decipher Script - a book on language and symbol origins
Diplomacy - clothing
Disable Device - thieves tools
Disguise - disguise kit
Escape Artist - gloves or bracers with hidden blades
Forgery - forgers kit
Gather Information - bribes
Handle Animal - book on animal husbandry, riding crop or whip
Heal - healers kit
Hide - clothing
Intimidate - spiked collar/bracers, piercings, sunglasses
Jump - pole or footwear
Knowledge - book
Listen - listening cone
Move Silently - clothing or shoes
Open Lock - thieves kit
Perform - musical instrument
Profession - depends on the profession
Ride - saddle
Search - magnifying glass
Sense Motive - book on body language
Sleight of Hand - clothing or finger blades
Speak Language - NA
Spellcraft - focusing crystal or book on spell mechanics and fundamentals
Spot - spyglass
Survival - book or special tool
Swim - hand and feet swim fins, floatation bladders
Tumble - clothing
Use Magic Device - focusing crystal or book
Use Rope - book on knot tying or silk rope

Zaq
2011-07-24, 02:04 AM
Hide: Cardboard box. OK, I haven't ACTUALLY done that, but I WOULD. And I'd probably allow it, if I were a GM.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-24, 02:20 AM
Hide: Cardboard box. OK, I haven't ACTUALLY done that, but I WOULD. And I'd probably allow it, if I were a GM.

I see what you did there.

Zaq
2011-07-24, 02:24 AM
I see what you did there.

! ENTERING ALERT MODE. Stay calm, lay low . . .

Amnestic
2011-07-24, 06:20 AM
Balance - a pole

I think a well-made pair of boots would serve this better. After all, it's not like you're gonna pull out a pole mid-battle when you get hit with Grease :smalltongue:

Thurbane
2011-07-24, 06:23 AM
How about for the more obscure skills?

Lucid Dreaming: an exquisitely stuffed silk pillow
Autohypnosis: a hypnotists amulet

NNescio
2011-07-24, 06:45 AM
Speak Language - NA

Speak Language - Babelfish (http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Babel_Fish)

Gather Information:

http://ompldr.org/vOWx2cA/5997781-a-red-notebook-with-tags.jpg

Related Items:

http://ompldr.org/vOWx2cQ/Canada_State_Flower_Maple_Leaf99.jpg

http://ompldr.org/vOWx2cg/tshirt.jpg

Machinekng
2011-07-24, 03:02 PM
Concentration: Hippie Headband

Yes, they have a purpose.

Lord Ruby34
2011-07-24, 03:08 PM
My Warblade's concentration item was an amulet given to him by his lover. That was the only thing that really made sense to me, for that particular character at least.

deuxhero
2011-07-24, 03:23 PM
! ENTERING ALERT MODE. Stay calm, lay low . . .

HQ!....DAMMIT!! It's no use! The radio's out!

That said, one subtle balance point that existed was preform skills that didn't require hands also couldn't have masterwork items (Though dance fails on that as you can reasonably have masterwork tap shoes)

Cespenar
2011-07-24, 03:28 PM
Almost any of those tools can be fluffed as a "How to learn X in 90 minutes" kinda book. :smalltongue:

Qwertystop
2011-07-24, 03:48 PM
What would it be for Use Rope?

Why would you ever buy an Alchemist's Lab instead of Masterwork Tools (Craft: Alchemy) or Artisan's Tools?

What would a Masterwork Tool be for Perform (Wind Instruments), instead of buying a Masterwork instrument?

HappyBlanket
2011-07-24, 03:57 PM
A masterwork tool (http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2009/04/Shoes/Finished/Mirrors%20Edge%20shoe--article_image.jpg) for Jump, Balance, Climb, and Tumble.

Cieyrin
2011-07-24, 03:59 PM

Why would you ever buy an Alchemist's Lab instead of Masterwork Tools (Craft: Alchemy) or Artisan's Tools?

What would a Masterwork Tool be for Perform (Wind Instruments), instead of buying a Masterwork instrument?

Silk Rope is essentially the masterwork item for Use Rope. Higher quality rope is easier to work with.

The Alchemy Lab is the exception to the masterwork tool rule, as are any other published tools. Just be glad that you don't take a penalty for improvising, since the skill explicitly assumes you have enough materials on hand (vials, burners, etc.) to do what you need.

Like the Alchemy Lab is to Craft(Alchemy), the Performs require you use a masterwork instrument, which is the tool of your craft. If you mean for Perform(Whistle, Sing, Oratory, etc.), a book of music or famous speeches would probably do it. For Wind Instruments, you're SOL, as you need your flute or whatever to use your skill.

NNescio
2011-07-24, 04:01 PM
Silk Rope.

Edit: Swordsaged.

Ksheep
2011-07-24, 04:06 PM
Masterwork tool for (most) Performs: sheet music

And an alternate one for Gather Info: a knife

Amnestic
2011-07-24, 06:12 PM
That said, one subtle balance point that existed was preform skills that didn't require hands also couldn't have masterwork items (Though dance fails on that as you can reasonably have masterwork tap shoes)

Singing could be done with tuning fork, though I suppose that does require a hand unless you hand it off to a Familiar or something.

Perform (Wind Instruments) generally assumes you're using an instrument as your tool :P As someone else suggested though, sheet music may work, or a specific part of the instrument is masterwork in quality but the rest is just generic, letting your instrument being a masterwork tool without being a masterwork instrument.

NNescio
2011-07-24, 06:22 PM
... Perform (Wind Instruments) generally assumes you're using an instrument as your tool :P As someone else suggested though, sheet music may work, or a specific part of the instrument is masterwork in quality but the rest is just generic, letting your instrument being a masterwork tool without being a masterwork instrument.

Masterwork screw-on mouthpiece?

Raimun
2011-07-24, 06:51 PM
Profession (Barrister): A picture of Chewbacca.

Tar Palantir
2011-07-24, 07:34 PM
One of my players had several masterwork tools built into his scythe (UMD and a couple of knowledges IIRC). He fluffed it as a UMD "cheat sheet" and some notes about common weaknesses of certain monster types (mainly used knowledges for Knowledge Devotion), all written on the handle and blade of the scythe, so he could quickly refer to them in the heat of battle.

NNescio
2011-07-24, 07:37 PM
Profession (Barrister): A picture of Chewbacca.

Perform (Oratory): A straw figure.

kardar233
2011-07-25, 02:46 AM
My Masterwork Tool of Craft (One-Liner) is a pair of dark sunglasses.

YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!

Redshirt Army
2011-07-25, 11:53 AM
My Masterwork Tool of Craft (One-Liner) is a pair of dark sunglasses.

YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!

Okay. (http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/)

Filler.

IthilanorStPete
2011-07-25, 05:40 PM
One of my players had several masterwork tools built into his scythe (UMD and a couple of knowledges IIRC). He fluffed it as a UMD "cheat sheet" and some notes about common weaknesses of certain monster types (mainly used knowledges for Knowledge Devotion), all written on the handle and blade of the scythe, so he could quickly refer to them in the heat of battle.

Dangit, I was going to mention this. (He also had it for Intimidation, right?)

The same group also had a Warforged fighter who had a yo-yo for Concentration and a pogo stick for Jump.

deuxhero
2011-08-14, 10:31 PM
Bluff (feint) - Hakama.

herrhauptmann
2011-08-14, 10:46 PM
Bluff (feint) - Hakama.

Isn't that just a pair of wide leg pants?

deuxhero
2011-08-14, 10:50 PM
That are used to hide foot work and prevent opponents from reading your next move based on it.

Joxer t' Mighty
2011-08-14, 10:57 PM
Autohypnosis - A gold watch
Martial Lore - Your scars
Perform (comedy) - A standby drummer
Profession (midwife) - Pair of salad tongs