PDA

View Full Version : Unarmored Armor

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-07-24, 06:32 AM
Can a ninja who has obtained a shield proficiency wield a buckler and retain his wisdom bonus to AC??

Zombimode
2011-07-24, 06:39 AM
Check the description again:

Complete Adventurer, P. 8

The character loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, or when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Amphetryon
2011-07-24, 06:41 AM
"When unarmored and unencumbered... loses these bonuses when she carries a shield..." so no.

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-07-24, 06:42 AM
Thanks, didn't have the book to hand sorry.

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-07-24, 06:43 AM
Would it be possible to add fortification to a set of robes in that case??
This is why I required the buckler.

Anyone have any ideas around this?

Thurbane
2011-07-24, 06:49 AM
I think there are rules somewhere (possibly 3.0) to add armor enhancements to Bracers of Armor.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-07-24, 07:36 AM
I think there are rules somewhere (possibly 3.0) to add armor enhancements to Bracers of Armor.

Arms and Equipment Guide.

HunterOfJello
2011-07-24, 08:12 AM
You can always try to convince your DM that an Animated shield shouldn't count as being carried and therefore a ninja should retain his bonuses while having one float around him. You could then put Light Fortification on that, but it will get a bit expensive.

I'm not sure how the rules apply to animated shields, but i've seen DMs allow this method before.

Kaeso
2011-07-24, 08:23 AM
Want to wield a shield without wielding a shield? Try a ring of shielding!
Want to wear armor without wearing armor? (greater) mage armor. I'm not sure if ninja's get UMD or not, but you could get it from a wand.

HunterOfJello
2011-07-24, 08:30 AM
If what you're really looking for is resistance to critical hits, there are a number of prestige classes that grant the fortification effect. You could also become a necropolitan and just become immune to crits altogether.

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-07-24, 02:53 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, all class levels and feats are tied up.. I need it to be from equipment.
I like the floating shield idea, but it cant be over 20k. So I wouldn't be able to get mod fort and floating.

Can someone clarify if the arms and equipment will allow me to add armour properties to bracers of armour?

Thanks again

Thurbane
2011-07-24, 03:29 PM
A&EG p. 130. Without quoting the whole sidebar, it does indeed say you can add armor special abilities to Bracers of Armor. The cost is the same as an equivalent set of Bracers - a set of Bracers of Armor +1 Light Fortification (equivalent to +2) would cost 4000gp, for example. The maximum effective bonus you can reach is +13 (up to +8 bonus for the Bracers, with an additional +5 of special abilities). A&EG gives costs for +9 to +13 equivalent Bracers, using the usual formula for determining their cost.

Do note that this is a 3.0 rulebook, so although the default is that anything 3.0 that wasn't "overwritten" with a 3.5 update or errata is still kosher, you might want to get it approved by your DM...

aeauseth
2011-07-24, 09:55 PM
What about a crafted item? I was thinking about luminous armor (BoED). What about Skin of Ectoplasmic Armor (MIC)? Neither of these are actually armors, yet provide an armor bonus.

As you gain levels (er.. Gold), you can also try the Defending property on a pair of gauntlets.

Dragonscale Husk (Dragon Magic) is an ACF that might work.

For 25k you could get a cloak of displacement 20%, this is roughly equivalent to a +5 dodge bonus to AC.

holywhippet
2011-07-24, 11:23 PM
Want to wear armor without wearing armor? (greater) mage armor. I'm not sure if ninja's get UMD or not, but you could get it from a wand.

Regular mage armor is only level 1 and the greater version is level 3. As such, either could be made into a potion. The greater version would be pretty costly though.

You could avoid having to use a wand by enchanting a wonderous item with the spell for command word activation I believe. According to the SRD, unless otherwise stated anyone can use a wonderous item.

Darrin
2011-07-25, 05:36 AM
Can someone clarify if the arms and equipment will allow me to add armour properties to bracers of armour?

You can also embed a Gemstone of Heavy Fortification into your chest (Draconomicon p. 83). Costs 35000 GP + limited wish (2410 GP). This costs about the same as Bracers of Armor +6, but doesn't occupy a magic item slot.

If your arms slot is already occupied by something else, you can put armor enchantments on a Harness of Armor (Lost Empires of Faerun p. 155). Occupies the "vest" slot, but costs +50% more than the bracers.

AngelisBlack
2011-07-25, 02:28 PM
What about the Ring of Force Shield? Does that do the trick at all or would that count as "being a shield" for loss of AC and such?

Keld Denar
2011-07-25, 02:34 PM
Note that an Animated Shield still counts as "wielded" even though you aren't touching it. You still magically get the ACP and ASF for it, so you'd probably also lose all of your ninja skillz with it as well.

FMArthur
2011-07-25, 02:36 PM
You could also use a wand of the 4th level BoED spell, Greater Luminous Armor. It grants +8 AC, -4 to enemy attacks, and the destruction of a ninja's sole purpose in life.

Big Fau
2011-07-25, 02:39 PM
You could also use a wand of the 4th level BoED spell, Greater Luminous Armor. It grants +8 AC, -4 to enemy attacks, and the destruction of a ninja's sole purpose in life.

That spell really only needs one more thing to make it truly appropriate for a Ninja: The ability to deal Fire damage.

darksolitaire
2011-07-25, 02:55 PM
Just think Raikage's Raiton Armor. Totally appropriate for a Ninja.